where are you guys finding i7-6700 Dells under 500?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarification. Although now I'm jealous!
You can add an m2 drive to your sff as well, though you dont really need a dvd drive so its a wash..

RCC

n3wb
Reaction score
Isn't RAM speed important? I see alot of these I-7 CPUs with good prices but DDR3 ram. DDR4 is much faster 1600 (ish) vs 2100 mz. Do not get me wrong, if you can get an I7 for under $500, that is a good deal. But I notice some of these good I7 deals have DDR3 ram speeds. Perhaps BI doesn't really require fast ram speeds?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't RAM speed important? I see alot of these I-7 CPUs with good prices but DDR3 ram. DDR4 is much faster 1600 (ish) vs 2100 mz. Do not get me wrong, if you can get an I7 for under $500, that is a good deal. But I notice some of these good I7 deals have DDR3 ram speeds. Perhaps BI doesn't really require fast ram speeds?
Ram speed is imperceptible...its makes virtually no difference..1 percent perhaps is some situations...if that, which is imperceptible in the real world..

Reaction score
I bought an Optiplex 7040 mini tower that came with a AMD Radeon R5 340X, 2GB (DP, SL-DVI-I) card. Should I remove it before I install BI or just keep it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought an Optiplex 7040 mini tower that came with a AMD Radeon R5 340X, 2GB (DP, SL-DVI-I) card. Should I remove it before I install BI or just keep it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remove it to get best use out of pc
Bi the won't use that card only intel

spinrut

n3wb
Reaction score
i know this thread is about $500 i7 6700s, but does this seem like a decent deal?
from slickdeals:
Dell PowerEdge T30 Mini Tower Server @Dell $399 FS

No OS, so you'd need to get a copy of win 10 pro, but the xeon seems to be roughly equivalent to an i5 skylake.
no hyper threading though (4c/4t) and looks to have higher tdp (80 vs 65) than regular i5
Granted it isn't an optiplex like is being discussed, but it is a poweredge (so part of their enterprise line).
Has room for 4 3.5" drives and 2 2.5" drives it looks like.
Thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i know this thread is about $500 i7 6700s, but does this seem like a decent deal?
from slickdeals:
Dell PowerEdge T30 Mini Tower Server @Dell $399 FS

No OS, so you'd need to get a copy of win 10 pro, but the xeon seems to be roughly equivalent to an i5 skylake.
no hyper threading though (4c/4t) and looks to have higher tdp (80 vs 65) than regular i5
Granted it isn't an optiplex like is being discussed, but it is a poweredge (so part of their enterprise line).
Has room for 4 3.5" drives and 2 2.5" drives it looks like.
Thoughts?
unless you need room for the drives you are paying 500 for an i5...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Dell Outlet is having a 72 hour sale. 10% off with code 'GDOSiteW10' - ends April 18th.
I'd also try to contact them in an online chat, cry about needing the payment split in half so your bank doesn't reject it and they might give you $100 off like they did when I bought my laptop lol.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
10% off is pretty weak as dell outlet sales go.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
any new deals on Blueiris machines? I have an HP Proliant server running WHS 2012 and it's crawling right now with 3 Amcrest 1080p cams and a couple lower quality cams...100% cpu constantly .....going to have 4 Dahua 5231s and a PTZ Dahua...so need something that will be smooth as butter....what do you guys recommend of the HP or Dell deals out right now???...definitely want to get something where I can add lots of drives for storage.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
any new deals on Blueiris machines? I have an HP Proliant server running WHS 2012 and it's crawling right now with 3 Amcrest 1080p cams and a couple lower quality cams...100% cpu constantly .....going to have 4 Dahua 5231s and a PTZ Dahua...so need something that will be smooth as butter....what do you guys recommend of the HP or Dell deals out right now???...definitely want to get something where I can add lots of drives for storage.
Servers often have processors that don't support hardware acceleration for video. Also make sure direct to disk is enabled.
You can get WD Purples in sizes up to 10TB. More than 2 hdds aren't needed very often. A lot of the budget machines can only accommodate 2-3 internal hard drives, maybe 4 if you remove the optical drive.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Servers often have processors that don't support hardware acceleration for video. Also make sure direct to disk is enabled.
You can get WD Purples in sizes up to 10TB. More than 2 hdds aren't needed very often. A lot of the budget machines can only accommodate 2-3 internal hard drives, maybe 4 if you remove the optical drive.
ya, definitely no hardware acceleration on this one....and direct to disk already enabled.....it's just a kind of outdated setup I think...or under-powered for this purpose...I like it cause I have like 4 drives in there but I'm ready to
give up on the whole idea of the home server and want a Blueiris setup that will be future-proof..

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Folks will sometimes start threads in this sub-forum when they see a good deal on eBay the has more than one or two available to buy, so keep an eye on that.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool... was amazon the seller? Or a marketplace seller??

What do u think of those Dell desktop deals that have been popping up over the last while ? I7 machines. Would they make decent blueiris servers? I'm gonna have probably 7x 1080p cams.

Yetz

n3wb
Reaction score
Cool... was amazon the seller? Or a marketplace seller??

What do u think of those Dell desktop deals that have been popping up over the last while ? I7 machines. Would they make decent blueiris servers? I'm gonna have probably 7x 1080p cams.
Amazon was the seller. They put one for $520 new, it might have been a price mistake but nonetheless they shipped it. Not sure about the Dells but on these HPs you can add another hard drive easily. I have 4 1080p cams at the moment on this machine and the CPU stays at 7%.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The only issue i see is you will need to do some juggling on drives. If you want two WD Purple drives, then the HDD and the optical would need to go, and then you would want to buy an m.2 (two slots) for the OS then re-install.