Where should I install the camera?

Holly05

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!
Could you please tell me where it is best to place a video surveillance camera on a two-story building? I have 2 options: above the front door or above the second floor?
And I'm also interested to know what you think about the fingerprint recognition system? How reliable is it?

Celina

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! In my opinion, it is better to install the camera higher, i.e. above the second floor, which will allow you to monitor a larger area near your yard. On the other hand, if you want to see more closely those who approach your house, it is better to install it on the door, so it depends on your priorities.
As for the fingerprint recognition system, I think it is quite reliable. Compared to passwords it is much harder to fake a fingerprint because it is unique and always with you! In any case, this system has both pros and cons, all of which are well described in this article Is Fingerprint Access Control System Reliable Today? But I'm not sure if it's advisable to install such a system at home, it's up to you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Recognize that if you put a camera on the 2nd floor and you buy a typical 2.8mm or 3.6mm camera, you will not be able to IDENTIFY at that height.

You need to decide your goal and get a camera to meet that goal.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be aware that any camera at a second story height will show only the tops of people's heads. Seven feet is the optimum height.

You may consider at least 2 cams initially; 1 above the front door (or to the side if possible at 7 ft.) and 1 at 2nd story with lens selection to provide the desired view, such as property overview.

+1 to what @wittaj stated above: "....decide your goal and get a camera to meet that goal."

Also: have you considered or are able to have a doorbell camera, such as the Reolink doorbell?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You basically want the camera to be at head height for any subject you are trying to capture. Ideally this means mounting the cameras at about 6'. Most people will compromise a little on this and install them at 8-9' height because that is generally the height of a soffit on a single story house. That will generally work in most situations. But if you start mounting the cameras higher than that, you will tend to get the tops of heads instead of people's faces. Of course there will be special cases that may require a camera to be higher or lower, but I would consider that to be the exception to the "rule".

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Holly05
Welcome @Celina

" it is better to install the camera higher, i.e. above the second floor"

Putting a security camera 2 stories up is absolutely the incorrect recommendation for most security camera needs .. as it is too far from the image subjects to get enough pixels on target for useful ID purposes .. ( see the DORI section of the cliff notes )

@Celina do you use flexihub ?

Hello, everyone!
Could you please tell me where it is best to place a video surveillance camera on a two-story building? I have 2 options: above the front door or above the second floor?
And I'm also interested to know what you think about the fingerprint recognition system? How reliable is it?

Hi! In my opinion, it is better to install the camera higher, i.e. above the second floor, which will allow you to monitor a larger area near your yard. On the other hand, if you want to see more closely those who approach your house, it is better to install it on the door, so it depends on your priorities.
As for the fingerprint recognition system, I think it is quite reliable. Compared to passwords it is much harder to fake a fingerprint because it is unique and always with you! In any case, this system has both pros and cons, all of which are well described in this article Is Fingerprint Access Control System Reliable Today? But I'm not sure if it's advisable to install such a system at home, it's up to you.
1694108940566.png

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
See my post linked below with various views from around my house with distances, heights, and focal lengths.

A second story view, unless zoomed in for a specific purpose, will most times be worthless.