Which 5MP 2.8mm Turret model is best value?

doctorjay

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase 8 cameras for my house and want Hikvision USA versions of the turret. What is the best model in terms of value for 5MP? And where would I buy from?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase 8 cameras for my house and want Hikvision USA versions of the turret. What is the best model in terms of value for 5MP? And where would I buy from?
Welcome DoctorJ

Remember to check out the cliff notes w/regards to placement and other good info on cameras
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Swann still has a deal on 5MP HIkvision OEM bullets ( yes, I know not preferred compared to turrets ) - the 8MP turrets have sold out.

doctorjay

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, both. As far as how I came to decide on Hikvision: I interviewed a local installer and Hikvision is what was recommended. He doesn't mind if I source the equipment and hire him for labor and the other parts. If I buy anything else, I'd be afraid of the installer blaming the equipment and not standing behind the work!

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, Hikvision is a decent choice. I prefer Dahua, we have some nice direct support here and even some good deals via EMPIRETECANDY. If you are looking for good qualiry night vision you should steer away from the higher megapixel cameras.
When i do installs for people, I hire my friend Adam who owns his own company as an electrician. He runs all of my low voltage wires including monitor cables for spare screens. Then i install all the cameras, DVR/NVR, switches what not. If you are at all technical, this forum mainly revolves around a software called Blue Iris. It runs off a windows based computer and allows you some amazing features. For the not so technical, you can pick up a nice NVR from Dahua or Hikvision that matches the cameras you purchase.
If you have anymore questions this is just touching the surface.

Welcome to the forums BTW

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, both. As far as how I came to decide on Hikvision: I interviewed a local installer and Hikvision is what was recommended. He doesn't mind if I source the equipment and hire him for labor and the other parts. If I buy anything else, I'd be afraid of the installer blaming the equipment and not standing behind the work!
Hi Doctorjay,

Are you under an immediate threat or deadline which requires a quicker setup of your security cameras?

If not, then now is a great time to take the time to do this better and really REVIEW what you may need AND pay attention to those on this forum who are using the equipment and not just installing it.

I have seen MANY installers fail to give the customer the better setup, or fail to recommend better setups. Also I have seen many installers fail to install the cameras in better locations.

Last edited:

doctorjay

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not under an immediate threat/deadline but I do want to make a decision before something unrelated gets grabs my attention. It's happened before and I just want to get it over with. I've been told to avoid bullet cameras due to the ease for a criminal to pull them off at spots where they'll be installed within reach.

What information can I share here that would help point me in the right direction?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not under an immediate threat/deadline but I do want to make a decision before something unrelated gets grabs my attention. It's happened before and I just want to get it over with. I've been told to avoid bullet cameras due to the ease for a criminal to pull them off at spots where they'll be installed within reach.

What information can I share here that would help point me in the right direction?
HI DrJ

Bullets - the ones I have are solid Dahua OEM products and I've screwed them down well - no one will easily remove them, nor easily change their angle. Screwed them into the stud / frame with long strong screws.

That said I also have turrets, and a mini-dome wedge camera - so nice mix.

Start with the Cliff notes - good info there.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Higher pixel density does not necessarily result in better images.
yes,,,but when i use 2mp and try to zoom into the image. it pixelated. for nighttime. I have LED light all around my house and all cams stay in day mode.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes,,,but when i use 2mp and try to zoom into the image. it pixelated. for nighttime. I have LED light all around my house and all cams stay in day mode.
The use a tighter lens...you will find that 5mp does not give you much more pixel density than the 2mp camera in the real world. Even with outdoor lighting you will have issues with the 5mp camera..

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what @fenderman said. If you want unpixelated closeup images use a tighter lens...or...use a decent PTZ camera. There are lots of good PTZ cameras which will give you the tight image quality you want.