Which cable?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the piling on is over the top. The OP did not recommend the cable. He merely gave a very subjective purchase report:
"The Cat6 Wiring looks to be good quality, jacked it thick. I'm pleased..."
Did the first person who reported buying Monoprice cable get the same response? Surely there was a time when Monoprice wasn't a known good supplier, and if people here hadn't taken a risk on it, Monoprice would not have become a known good supplier.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the piling on is over the top. The OP did not recommend the cable. He merely gave a very subjective purchase report:
Did the first person who reported buying Monoprice cable get the same response? Surely there was a time when Monoprice wasn't a known good supplier, and if people here hadn't taken a risk on it, Monoprice would not have become a known good supplier.
Maybe you should re-read the thread. He wasn't the OP. He was advising the OP. Hence the rub.

However your heart is in the right place.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't recommend cable for others to take a risk on....it's irresponsible and dumb..

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't recommend cable for others to take a risk on....it's irresponsible and dumb..
OK, I screwed up. The post about the Zactron cable was not the thread starter, but post #4. Even though there was no recommendation stated, in its context it could be considered an implicit recommendation. Still, it was just an honest report that doesn't deserve the treatment it's getting, and the same message could be given in a way that doesn't lead to defensiveness or confrontation. Possibly:

The Zactron cable has not been reported on by other forum members. Its quality and reliability are at this time unknown to us. Therefore, anybody who does not want to be test subject with the risk of having to replace the cable is better advised to stick with the cable suppliers that an established track record, such as Monoprice. I hope it works well for you, just understand you're assuming the early adopter risks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I screwed up. The post about the Zactron cable was not the thread starter, but post #4. Even though there was no recommendation stated, in its context it could be considered an implicit recommendation. Still, it was just an honest report that doesn't deserve the treatment it's getting, and the same message could be given in a way that doesn't lead to defensiveness or confrontation. Possibly:

The Zactron cable has not been reported on by other forum members. Its quality and reliability are at this time unknown to us. Therefore, anybody who does not want to be test subject with the risk of having to replace the cable is better advised to stick with the cable suppliers that an established track record, such as Monoprice. I hope it works well for you, just understand you're assuming the early adopter risks.
There is more background to this...in another thread, prior to his post in this thread, I specifically warned saltster not to use this unknown cable to which he replied it was already ordered...
Best bulk Cat6 cable (+ accompanying RJ-45 connectors) for small outdoor runs?
Knowing this and with no more information about the cable he went ahead and recommended it to another user...this from someone who clearly has no networking experience at all..

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
There is more background to this...in another thread, prior to his post in this thread, I specifically warned saltster not to use this unknown cable to which he replied it was already ordered...
Best bulk Cat6 cable (+ accompanying RJ-45 connectors) for small outdoor runs?
Knowing this and with no more information about the cable he went ahead and recommended it to another user...this from someone who clearly has no networking experience at all..
Thanks for the link. Context is everything here. I do like the idea of other people taking the risk of trying things because that's how I learn what is and isn't good without taking the risk myself. So I hate to see that discouraged. On the other hand a careless recommendation is worse than none at all. Maybe I made a mistake stepping into this in the first place. It did cause me to learn that I have 3 different versions of cat6 from Monoprice. And so far, they've all worked flawlessly with several runs at or a bit over 300'.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I should probably add a little more context. Most cameras link at 100mbps with an acutal data rate that's much lower and you'd probably never notice if cable was a bit out of spec. You can successfully run 10Bbase-T on some truly awful cables.

Some high end cameras are gigabit to support a larger number of simultaneous clients, but the camera hardware typically can't max out a gigabit connection.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I should probably add a little more context. Most cameras link at 100mbps with an acutal data rate that's much lower and you'd probably never notice if cable was a bit out of spec. You can successfully run 10Bbase-T on some truly awful cables.

Some high end cameras are gigabit to support a larger number of simultaneous clients, but the camera hardware typically can't max out a gigabit connection.
Great point (as usual). And I really liked the article you linked. It explains a great deal of the considerations involved when evaluating cable. But an ip cam at 4096Kb/s would work on a wet string.

Nevertheless, good cable is a requirement and not that difficult to procure.