Which Camera Is Better For Night

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have read a lots of posts and night viewing always comes down to two factors in most posts, low megapixels and a large image sensor. This 4K camera (SD6AL830V-HNI) has a larger image sensor than this 1080p camera (SD6AL245U-HNI). Obviously the 4K camera is going to be better during the day but which camera is better at night? The one with lower pixels or the one with the larger sensor.

biscuit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It depend which settings you make... thats make a good camera. Not the type of camera..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It depend which settings you make... thats make a good camera. Not the type of camera..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Nonsense, settings can only do so much..the sensor is very important.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
I have read a lots of posts and night viewing always comes down to two factors in most posts, low megapixels and a large image sensor.
It's not that simple. A lot of factors go into a good low light camera

True, a larger sensor allows more light but not always a better picture, you also have to look at the aperture/ F-stop of the lens, the wider / lower the better.
This allows more light to the sensor regardless of the sensor size.
Also the quality of the sensor makes a huge difference, they are not all created equal.

If I change my SD6AL830V-HNI to 1080/720 it should have a better image at night because of less pixels on a large sensor - It does not.
I also have a 1" sensor camera and it is not very good at night or in low light at 1080, 2k or 4k.

My SD6AE240V has a 1.2 lens with a 1 /2.8 sensor and has just about the best night image than any of my cameras.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not that simple. A lot of factors go into a good low light camera

True, a larger sensor allows more light but not always a better picture, you also have to look at the aperture/ F-stop of the lens, the wider / lower the better.
This allows more light to the sensor regardless of the sensor size.
Also the quality of the sensor makes a huge difference.

If I change my SD6AL830V-HNI to 1080/720 it should have a better image at night because of less pixels on a large sensor - It does not.
I also have a 1" sensor camera and it is not very good at night or in low light at 1080, 2k or 4k.

My SD6AE240V has a 1.2 lens and has just about the best night image than any of my cameras.
Changing the resolution in the camera will not affect the sensor .. same amount of light gets in ..

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So how does your SD6AL830V-HNI compare to your SD6AE240V? Is the night image in the SD6AL830V-HNI that much worse than the SD6AE240V? How about during the day. Is the 4K image that much better than the 1080p? If you could only have one of these cameras which would it be and why?

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
When I compare the 830 with the 240, I can't say either camera is bad, they both are excellent.
The 4k has the better image in the day and by no means sucks at night, but the 240 is much "crisper and sharper at night"

If I was to only buy one, it would of been the 240 (and at the best price ).
I do not use my cameras mainly for security, although they do a great job for that. The main purpose for me is wildlife filming.
If you include the 10A248, it would be my 1st pick.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
When I compare the 830 with the 240, I can't say either camera is bad, they both are excellent.
The 4k has the better image in the day and by no means sucks at night, but the 240 is much "crisper and sharper at night"

If I was to only buy one, it would of been the 240 (and at the best price ).
I do not use my cameras mainly for security, although they do a great job for that. The main purpose for me is wildlife filming.
If you include the 10A248, it would be my 1st pick.
Hey Jeff

Do you have any videos for this model?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
because this model seems the best selling one now, dahua already no stock around 2 months, lol.