Which camera LEDS can't be seen?

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm back to tap the massive knowledge base here.

I'm looking for a run-of-the-mill IP camera with night vision. I bought a Dahua IPC-HFW4300S USA and its a pretty good unit for my purposes.

My problem is that you can see the nightvision IR leds when they turn on and its quite obvious from a distance.

Is there a similar camera that can be purchased that uses a different wavelength that can not be so easily seen in the dark?

Thanks,

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Turn off the in-camera LEDs and use external lighting. If you really want it black where the camera is, get an external 940nm IR illuminator. The 850nm ones illuminate better but have the red glow like the camera LEDs.

Something like this would be adequate for short range use with a wide angle lens- /CMVision-IRP6-940nm-Invisible-WideAngle-Illuminator/dp/B00Q11HA32/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1508758002&sr=8-7&keywords=940nm

Just realize that there's a tradeoff for stealth- the red glowing LEDs are a lot brighter per watt than the invisible ones.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm back to tap the massive knowledge base here.

I'm looking for a run-of-the-mill IP camera with night vision. I bought a Dahua IPC-HFW4300S USA and its a pretty good unit for my purposes.

My problem is that you can see the nightvision IR leds when they turn on and its quite obvious from a distance.

Is there a similar camera that can be purchased that uses a different wavelength that can not be so easily seen in the dark?

Thanks,
Welcome Murphy,

Kawboy12R covered your question well. For questions like that and others you may also want to check out some of the notes we have been making here.

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.