Which camera night vision IR would be better?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These 2 cameras list the night vision is 30 meters.
To the experts here, which would be the best night vision LEDs? I know the cameras can be different, I'm just curious which type of night vision LEDs are the best overall, regardless which camera they are on.

Thanks

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The separate IR led is generally better...it also minimizes spider web issues. None of them will do anything close to 30m...furthermore, the ir distance is a very small part of what makes a camera good at low light/night vision.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. I was just curious which type of LED is better usually. I'm not expecting the built in IR to do everything. I was just curious if there are advantages over the square type IR LED versus the round ring IR LEDs.
I mostly am curious for future use in other applications, not using the info to determine which camera to purchase.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The big difference - which I have noticed on the Hikvision bullets vs domes vs turrets - is that the single high-power LED has the big advantage of a shaped reflector that provides a more uniform and directed illumination field. Not much wasted IR outside the camera field of view - unlike the ring of low-power LEDs which while there is a tiny internal reflector embedded in the plastic body have a much wider spread.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, that's the kind of info I was interested in. I kind of figured the newer style IR LEDS are much better, as on an analog PTZ that I have 8 of the newer IR LEDS and they are crazy bright. It's like a lighthouse light when your panning around at night. I think it's called adaptive IR, where when you zoom in, more of the IR LEDS turn on. They are so bright, they reach out over 500 feet I can almost guarantee it, crazy! :)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The top one is the best one. I've not used the 4MP Dahuas yet but I've got a Dahua HDW-4300C from here and it's amazing at night.

Here are some night videos of the Dahua HDW-4300S (similar to bottom one) and the quality of this one is good too. I don't have them side-by-side or I'd make my own video to post here. I'm not sure why they haven't got night videos of the 4300C, next time I order something I'll mention it.

From my experience Dahua > Hikvision at night.

Agree with fenderman (again)... 30m, you'll need PTZ with a good sensor. I've got this 2MP PTZ connected to my Hikvision NVR and it's good for 50m, but as you can see from the video, it's not magic good (nothing will be), it's good versus a normal camera. The adaptive IR is great... at first I thought 2 LEDs on it were broken until I zoomed in!

I'm in the UK though... if you're in the US then best to see what @milkisbad has got. Most people don't need 30m and I'd say his new 4MP DS-2CD2332 equivalent (similar to your top ones) will be great for 99% of people.

Btw, IR array is not always better than IR LEDs and there are other factors involved, like the sensor etc which make a big difference in low-light conditions.

Last edited by a moderator: