Which camera?

bfc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been doing research to get a security cam for my summer residence and I bumped into this website. Lucky for me because it seems I would have ended up with the wrong equipment if I hadn't ended up reading here.

Essentially I need a camera with the following requirements:

• The place is very windy and full of spiders. So I need a camera with very good motion sensors to reduce false alarms.
  • I need remote access (both live view and recordings of motion) because I am not there for several months of the winter.
  • Obviously I want a get deal in terms of cost.

Where should I start looking??

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been doing research to get a security cam for my summer residence and I bumped into this website. Lucky for me because it seems I would have ended up with the wrong equipment if I hadn't ended up reading here.

Essentially I need a camera with the following requirements:

• The place is very windy and full of spiders. So I need a camera with very good motion sensors to reduce false alarms.
  • I need remote access (both live view and recordings of motion) because I am not there for several months of the winter.
  • Obviously I want a get deal in terms of cost.

Where should I start looking??
Welcome @bfc

You may want to also check a discussion by @genelit ( next door to you in Sweden ) and @ctrlaltdelete ( whom I think likes PCs in Bavaria )

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Moi bfc,

Tervetuloa Ipcamtalk!

First of all, I'm a Dahua guy. I find Dahua offering best bang for the buck. Comparing what you get from Mediamarkt or other consumer electronics stores, you'll be amazed how much more you get from a Dahua camera for just a few € more. (Hikvision is a comparable brand as well, I have no personal experience with Hik thought).

Talking about your needs, you definitely want to check IVS-rules out. IVS is "AI"-based and super adaptable. There are many different types of IVS-rules but Tripwire and Intrusion zones are most commonly used, search the forum or Youtube and you'll get a clear view of what it's about.

For remote access, it's mainly up to you and how technical you want to dive. First choice is setting up a VPN that you can connect through. Do you have 3/4G or fibre in your cabin?
Depending on your ISP it can be tricky sometimes to set up a "real" VPN, then you can look at ZeroTier and as the third alternative you can run a P2P-connection.

There are pro's and cons with all above alternatives, VPN is sometimes hard to setup but the most safe solution. P2P is really quick to get going but least safe.

In terms of price/cost, I recommend you to buy from @EMPIRETECANDY directly or from his Aliexpress store.
The products are genuine and you'll get support and FW-updates here at IPCT.

To point you in a direction I recommend you to look at IPC-5442T-AS, IPC-5442T-ZE and IPC-Color4k-X These are all Very good cameras.
Since you're in Finland I guess you (also) have a lot of mosquitos and flies, then a "Full Color" camera can be handy as they don't use Infrared, that attracts night critters.

Terveisiä Ruotsista!

bfc

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been doing some research. I know it comes at an additional cost but wouldn't the easiest and probably safest way to get remote access is by using a NVR such as the DAHUA NVR4108-4KS2. What are your thoughts on that?

Getting wiring to the NVR will be a slight hassle but not impossible.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Stick with the 5xxx series from Dahua for an NVR. They are more expensive but they are also more capable, especially when the number of cameras start to increase. Trust me, the number of cameras will increase over time.

The three rules of surveillance cameras -

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

bfc

n3wb
Reaction score
I have another question. My main interest is a camera with powerful AI to detect "useful" motion. I plan to mount the camera in a place where there are lots of bugs/spiders and regular windy days with branches waving all over the place.

How does the IVS work exactly? It seems the Dahuas have IVS inbuilt in the camera. But if I add a NVR will the NVR have IVS? And if so will it be more powerful? Or can they work together.
It also seems that BlueIris with deepstack is very powerful. But that raises the price quite a bit because I would need a whole separate computer to run it.

Have I understood things correctly?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A Pc to run Blue Iris doesn't have to be wildly expensive. A used business class machine, i5 or i7 and 7th generation or newer, will do the trick. Here in the States they can be had for under $300USD. You would also need a PoE switch, in the $100USD range and a surveillance rated hard drive in the 4GB or larger range for about $100USD plus a license for Blue Iris, less than %60USD here on IPCT.

If you use an NVR you're still going to need, at least, a surveillance rated hard drive so add that into the cost of an NVR when looking at them.

Given the flexibility and power of Blue Iris versus a standard NVR, the initial increase in investment can be easily justified and absorbed. With Blue Iris you're not really locked in to the same brand of cameras that the NVR is to maintain full functionality and compatibility.

If you want to use DeepStack in conjunction with Blue Iris and it's a larger system, say six or more cameras, it does pay to get a CUDA capable graphics card to handle DeepStack object detection. That can add another few hundred USD to the overall cost.

Last edited: