Which cameras are you using?

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello. Over the last 5 years, I've gotten lots of good advice from the people here, so I'm going to ask another question. I'm upgrading my security cameras and hardware. I currently use BI and have found it to be an extremely powerful (and inexpensive) piece of software. I'm using Foscam cameras and I've learned how to set them up using their "Camera Discovery Tool". I've never had any problems with them, but have read about problems others have had overall.

I'd like to buy something with 720 or 1080 resolution, that's easy to assign static IP addresses to. The Foscam's I have are running between $60 and $80 each (FI9821 and R2). What are your suggestions?

Thanks.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
see my information on the signature. I recommend the Dahua Starlight 2 MP IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE for my outside camera and the annke I61DR (Hikvision) for inside.

Night vision is critical for most of my outside needs.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also try the Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-Z. Varifocal, 2MP and excellent night vision. Fully adjustable frame and i frame rates as well. It doesn't have audio. I'll second the 4231EM-ASE, excellent camera. But in either case you're not going to get really good video cameras for under $100 or so.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. Over the last 5 years, I've gotten lots of good advice from the people here, so I'm going to ask another question. I'm upgrading my security cameras and hardware. I currently use BI and have found it to be an extremely powerful (and inexpensive) piece of software. I'm using Foscam cameras and I've learned how to set them up using their "Camera Discovery Tool". I've never had any problems with them, but have read about problems others have had overall.

I'd like to buy something with 720 or 1080 resolution, that's easy to assign static IP addresses to. The Foscam's I have are running between $60 and $80 each (FI9821 and R2). What are your suggestions?

Thanks.
Stick with Dahua, ipcts own brand or hikvision. Avoid Foscam and Reolink.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just getting back to this thread as life inconveniently got in the way. Where do you guys buy your cameras? Amazon carries Dahua and Hikvision, but some are listed as OEM. Some of the reviews say they're "grey market" and some are listed as having "non upgrade-able firmware". Do the actual companies stand behind these products? Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just getting back to this thread as life inconveniently got in the way. Where do you guys buy your cameras? Amazon carries Dahua and Hikvision, but some are listed as OEM. Some of the reviews say they're "grey market" and some are listed as having "non upgrade-able firmware". Do the actual companies stand behind these products? Thanks.
From a real computer, study this: Cliff Notes.
Trusted Vendor: EmpireTech Andy | IP Cam Talk

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using Amcrest 4k camera's with no issues. I highly recommend them. Going on almost two years.