Which Dahua and Where to buy

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I am saying that free VMS software is crap. Linux....maybe not total crap.

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, let's take for example "crap" software "Milestone Essential" which is free up to 8 channels
Can you quickly highlight the differences that make BI worth paying $60 over it?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there anywhere on the milestonesys web site where they give prices for the paid products? I sure couldn't find it.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got a problem. Connect my PoE switch to the router, plugged in the camera and I can't see anything on my network.

I tested the ethernet cable when installed and that's fine so not sure what's going on.

My router gateway is 192.168.50.1

I note in the instructions the camera default up is 192.168.1.108.

Wouldn't my router dcho just assign an IP and I should see it on the network?

Any ideas what I have done wrong?

Many thanks

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got a problem. Connect my PoE switch to the router, plugged in the camera and I can't see anything on my network.

I tested the ethernet cable when installed and that's fine so not sure what's going on.

My router gateway is 192.168.50.1

I note in the instructions the camera default up is 192.168.1.108.

Any ideas what I have done wrong?

Many thanks
Nothing wrong, except for your assumption.
You have to initialize the camera first with the config tool from dahua.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do I do that. I can't see a connected IP address to navigate to do do the initialisation. Can I initialise via a web interface on the LAN. It's says there is a web option for initialisation but I can't find the IP address.

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think you can initialize over web.
You have to use the "configtool" app from dahua.
It works on the L2 network layer so the only requirement is to have it within the same network segment as your camera.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah OK. Is that an Android app or PC. Where do I download from. Been searching but can't find.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do I do that. I can't see a connected IP address to navigate to do do the initialisation. Can I initialise via a web interface on the LAN. It's says there is a web option for initialisation but I can't find the IP address.
Yes, set the IP address of your computer in the same IP range as the camera, plug both your computer and the cam to be initialized into the same poe switch. With IE navigate to 192.168.1.108

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys. All done. Connected. Just viewing in a web browser for now. Lots of things to okay with now

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to change the IP address from the default. In the config tool I have set it to DCHP. Then in my router I have set my DCHP server to the address I want it to be but it stubbornly remains at .108.

I have rebooted the router and power cycles the camera but it remains at .108.

How do I get the camera to obey the DCHP server on my router?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
How are you setting the address for that device in your router? By MAC?

Haven't used the config tool to set to DHCP but as ljw2k says In the web GUI Under Settings > Network > TCP/IP
Look for:
Mode Static DHCP
Select DHCP

Generally speaking the better way to do it is to assign a static address in the cam. Then also set the router to reserve that IP address for that MAC. Set your DHCP range in the router above/below the block of static addresses that you use for your cams. Write/label the IP address in some way on the cams.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Managed to do it. I used your advice and set the IP address through the web GUI and on my router using MAC address. Thanks again.

There are loads of settings for the camera in the web GUI. This is my first cam so it seems daunting. Do you recommend I leave the settings as they came out of the box or are there changes you would recommend to get the best quality images?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You've probably already discovered this (but for anyone else reading the thread that isn't familiar with this), in addition to your router being able to assign a DHCP address, the device (i.e. a new IP camera) has to be set configured to use DHCP. Out of the box, Dahua/Hik are not configured to use DHCP.

I don't think you can initialize over web.
FWIW, you can initialize Dahua cameras through their web interface if you have a computer that can "talk" to 192.168.1.108.

This is my first cam so it seems daunting. Do you recommend I leave the settings as they came out of the box or are there changes you would recommend to get the best quality images?
You're probably good with the default settings for the initial go. There are some exposure settings you can change to reduce motion blur at night, if you experience that. If you haven't seen the thread below, it's a great general guide as to how camera settings can influence image quality (and probably worth a bookmark).
Common issues with camera image | IP Cam Talk

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you.

One of the issues for me was that my router was set to 192.168.50.xxx. I changed to 192.168.1.xxx which seemed to help. With that done my router could see the cam.

Thanks for the link. It's bookmarked and ready for a study.

Is there an easy way of finding the rtsp for my cam. There nothing in the manual. I've looked through the config tool menues and can't see it anywhere.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there an easy way of finding the rtsp for my cam.
For Dahua, this usually works. Hopefully the app you're using that with can handle the authentication part.
RTSP:/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

Also, any app/tool that can use ONVIF to query the camera (with credentials) should be able to pull back the camera's RTSP information automatically. "ONVIF Device Manager" is an OK tool for doing that and then showing you the results.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Or you can get it from ONVIF Manager when you open live view it will tell you the RTSP details below the live stream.