Which ethernet cable would be best ?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't use, and have no experience with, the pass through connectors. I'm "old school" and use the dead front ones to this day. After a little learning curve, I can even do them perched on a ladder in the rain.
I added the magnified image. The stranded connectors have a prong that will pierce through the middle of the strand. The solid connectors have prongs that slide over both sides of the wire. Some RJ45 supposedly work with both stranded and solid wire. Pass-Thru connectors are a beautiful thing!

On Amazon, the Klien ad says it works for both:

• Klein exclusive Pass-Thru Connectors provide fast, reliable connector installations for data applications
  • CAT6 Cable easily passes through connector to visually ensure that wires are in the correct order for consistent and secure terminations
  • 50µ inch minimum gold plating on all contact surfaces
  • Meets or Exceeds all PoE and PoE+ requirements for performance
  • Category 6 performance per EIA/TIA B.2. FCC compliant, UL rated, RoHS compliant
  • For use with Klein Tools Pass-Thru Modular Crimper VDV226-110
  • 50-Pack
  • 8 position, 8 contact Pass Through style data plug for solid or stranded cable

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I was going to comment that solid connector is an IDC style, Insulation Displacement Connector, while a stranded connector is a piercing style but TonyR illustrated that very nicely.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't use, and have no experience with, the pass through connectors. I'm "old school" and use the dead front ones to this day. After a little learning curve, I can even do them perched on a ladder in the rain.
hahahahahaha. I wont believe that until I see the youtube link. :D

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am ordering cat5e shielded cable with solid conductors. The company I am ordering from KEEP saying you shouldn't crimp solid copper, only stranded. What are the opinions here on this? Surely with care and attention to detail, plus a continuity test, it should be fine? Do people here crimp solid cable?
thanks
Make sure you are getting solid copper cable, and not copper clad aluminum.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well guess who just made his first Cat5E patch cable :D
Just a trial run. Before I dive in making tons more for this new NXI Acusense DVR, could someone please confirm the wiring order below which I am going to use for all crimps.....
Thanks
Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 17.24.53.png

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hahaha. thanks. except I didn't :D
I bought shielded connectors which are supposed to be for both stranded and solid conductors. are they F**K! Glad I took advice on here to get a tester! Fail!! I then used plastic non shielded connectors and that worked. So I have ordered more shielded ones (i have shielded wire so may as well use shielded connectors i think). Thanks though :)