Which IP cameras are Y2K38 (Year 2038) compliant?

Y2K38

n3wb
Reaction score
On January 19, 2038, the clocks in all embedded devices which are using Unix time, which is time in seconds since January 1st, 1970 will cease to function. This includes most if not all 32-bit Linux, or GNU/Linux, based systems, and other embedded operating systems as well. Some clocks will loop around to 1901, some will stop, and others will experience other issues, especially if the hardware tries to automatically obtain the current time from a time server. The Android OS is affected. Some iOS features are affected even on IOS 64-bit. Most, if not all, IP cameras are affected. The Raspberry PI OS is affected.

It's important understand that the Y2K38 problem technically has little to do with with whether a CPU or operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit. For the last two decades C compilers have been able to support 64-bit integers even on a 32-bit systems. It only has to do with whether the system is using the Unix time format, and if so, if the designers of the API decided to make it 64-bit or 32-bit when the API/ABI for that particular architecture was designed. BSD has used 64-bit time since the 90s. Windows was never affected, but some Windows software can still be affected if it uses the 32-bit Unix compatible time function, instead of the Windows one. Windows added 64-bit Unix time support along side the 32-bit time function since the days of Windows 2000.

The Y2K38 problem is now less than 17 years away. We have reached the point where many IP cameras will still be in use when the time comes. The clocks will have to be set back, the time sync feature will have to be turned off, and the NVR or computer that is running the DVR software may have to have its clock set back as well, as the software will try to sync the camera's clock to the computer.

I got a Hikvision camera, and the clock can't be set beyond 2038.
I got a Fuluva camera with Windows software from Amazon. The software ceases to connect to the camera if the computer clock passes 2038.

The situation doesn't look good. If anyone finds a camera that is Y2K38 compliant, please share!

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On January 19, 2038, the clocks in all embedded devices which are use Unix time, which is time in seconds since January 1st, 1970 will cease to function. This includes most if not all 32-bit Linux, or GNU/Linux, based systems, and other embedded operating systems as well. Some clocks will loop around to 1901, some will stop, and others will experience other issues, especially if the hardware tries to automatically obtain the current time from a time server. The Android OS is affected. Some iOS features are affected even on IOS 64-bit. Most IP if not all cameras are affected. The Raspberry PI OS is affected.

It's important understand that the Y2K38 problem techically has little to do with with whether a CPU or operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit. For the last two decades C compilers have been able to support 64-bit integers even on a 32-bit systems. It only has to do with whether the system is using the Unix time format, and if so, if the designers of the API decided to make it 64-bit or 32-bit when the API/ABI for that particular architecture was designed. BSD has used 64-bit time since the 90s. Windows was never affected, but some Windows software can still be affected if it uses the 32-bit Unix compatible time function, instead of the Windows one. Windows added 64-bit Unix time support along side the 32-bit time function since the days of Windows 2000.

The Y2K38 problem is now less than 17 years away. We have reached the point where many IP cameras will still be in use when the time comes. The clocks will have to be set back, the time sync feature will have to be turned off, and the NVR or computer that is running the DVR software may have to have its clock set back as well, as the software will try to sync the camera's clock to the computer.

I got a Hikvision camera, and the clock can't be set beyond 2038.
I got a Fuluva camera with Windows software from Amazon. The software ceases to connect to the camera if the computer clock passes 2038.

The situation doesn't look good. If anyone finds a camera that is Y2K38 compliant, please share!
fwiw - I believe by 2030 I'd have wanted to replace all my cameras with newer and better models...

Y2K38

n3wb
Reaction score
Not only will most of the equipment be replaced long before that date, I would have to assume all of this can be corrected with a firmware update.
It absolutely can be fixed with a firmware update. However, that firmware update isn't going to be free unless there is some law passed forcing companies to support their products, since it would have been 10 times easier to make the original design Y2K38 compliant than to fix it later. If they were going to, they would have done it then.

I'm waiting for the OP to make a mention of the cameras he sells that are Y2K38 compliant
Don't hold your breath!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought most systems used at least 64 bits which should last half a million billion years even using millisecond precision. But I guess it shouldn't surprise me that many core systems use a 32 bit integer for their time still.

The issue isn't so much that IP cams from today don't support dates past 2038, but that developers of those systems remain unaware and uncaring for many years to come. It is probable that devices which don't support larger dates continue to be sold well into the 2030s and that millions upon millions of said devices will still be operational and useful on that date.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You gotta remember these companies also continued to center around either Explorer or Flash or plug-ins or some other security issue that has since come and gone....so I doubt Y2K38 is on their radar LOL

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The reality is as it pertains to security cameras every company has a hardware refresh cycle. Even if they don’t in 17 years any hardware would have failed or been replaced due to better technology.

In just the last five years Dahua / Hikvision have pushed video security to a whole new level not seen by other makers.

Low light 1/1.8 ~ 1/1.2, Night colour, AI Filtering, H.265+, Laser IR, 40+ Zoom, BiSpetrum Thermal, ANPR, etc.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@MicahJames That will slow down sooner or later ;). Most of my cameras are a year or two old now, if not older. A few must be close to 5-6 years now.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
But what if a current software bug caused the date to display 2038, when its actually 2021 :p

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure if I will outlive my cameras...But if I do, I wont have need for them in 2038....Not sure if camera manufacturers will build something to last that long, maintenance and Life cycle costings are usually 5 years for these devices and 2 years for IT devices.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I seriously doubt my cameras will make it that far! By then we will have flying drones that patrol the property and protect it.

It's no problem with me, I will just set my clocks 10 years before and have another 10 years to go. This was good enough for
a large unnamed telecom company that did not want to upgrade some of their equipment, so should be fine for me.