Which new Intel NUC?

Which Intel NUC CPU would be sufficient for these needs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't have to replace all the Annke cameras. Get one variable focal length 5442 series camera and have him try it out. When set up correctly (ie not the stock default settings), the nighttime performance will be remarkably better than the Annke. Then it will be up to your Dad to decide if it is worth the cost to replace what he already has. To most of us, it is. That's because a CCTV system isn't measured by how well it performs in the best conditions, it's how well it performs in the worst conditions. If a camera is a poor performer in bad conditions, it isn't worth having. Personally I don't want usable coverage only 60% of the time, I want usable coverage 100% of the time. If I have to pay $200 USD on a camera to get that, it's still better than spending $100 USD on a camera that will meet my needs only 60% of the time.

As far as the NUC option, I think that has been well discussed. However I'll through my 2 cents in. Theoretically, either CPU you listed will work just fine for your needs. However, the fact that it is in a NUC has limitations that simply are not worth it. A 11th gen i7 or i5 chip in a small form factor would be a much better option due to the customization and flexibility it offers. For example, I for one would never record footage just to a NAS. Doing so requires two different machines to be working properly in order to get archived footage. I'd rather record locally and then move the files to the NAS for long term storage. This way I know I am getting archived footage as long as the BI machine is working. We also don't know if/how the CPU is throttled due to the NUC size. I have to assume it is being throttled.

All this being said, you don't really need to look at 11gen chips either. Using something like a i7-6700 or newer chip would provide plenty of power. Small form factor machines with these chips are a dime a dozen on EBay (at least in the USA) and would cost a fraction of the NUC with an 11th gen processor in it.

Anyway, I hope you take these and everyone else's comments with an open mind. The fact that the vast majority of users here are saying to steer away from the NUC should be a sign. In the end, it's obviously your Dad's choice, but there is real wisdom on this forum and you would be wise to listen to it.

Last edited:

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A NUC is not suitable for a BI application It is not upgradable, and will not standup to running 24/7/365. Go with a used Dell or HP business computer (NOT a home computer).
I can try and convince him, but if it's too big, he's not going to go for it. I'd be more likely to build from scratch if I could find a small enough chassis that'll fit a standard mini-ITX motherboard.

The 5442 series. Are you not reading what we post or just trolling...
Calm down. I thought that since this community was incredibly active, that maybe there existed a list of frequently updated models for easier reference.

Here are the 7 models of 5442 available:
Weird. It only shows me 4 models.

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI
Thanks! I'll go through these with him and see what combination he wants.

I said it requires a CUDA because you mentioned, what I believe, is a non CUDA card.
I didn't mention any card. What are you talking about? It worked fine with my test system using only the CPU version. Of course it wasn't an 'accurate' test because I only had one camera connected, but my point is that it worked, therefore it doesn't require a CUDA card. I understand that naturally it works faster and more accurately when it has one, but 'requires' means that it won't work without it - which objectively just isn't true.

If you don't want to take advice, don't ask for it.
I have no problem taking advice. There's been a lot of helpful advice so far from those who have put in the effort into explaining things accurately, and without condescension.

Using something like a i7-6700 or newer chip would provide plenty of power.
Even enabling Deepstack (without a GPU) and running HomeAssistant in the background?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Even enabling Deepstack (without a GPU) and running HomeAssistant in the background?
I'll have to leave that answer to the people that run Deepstack. I don't because the 5442 series cameras provide excellent AI triggering in the camera which means the camera's CPU does all the AI heavy lifting instead of BI. This means you don't need to run Deepstack for these cameras - just a ONVIF trigger in BI. I simply run the AI triggering in my 5442 cameras and rarely if ever get a false positive or a missed trigger. Looking at the threads on this forum, I have no doubt that the built in AI has fewer of these issues than Deepstack - and without all the tweaking needed for Deepstack. I also have the system recording 24/7 with substreams and then record full resolution on a trigger. I've tested it with people and cars and everything works as I have set it up while not triggering for wind, shadows, bugs, small animals, etc. Obviously this is another big advantage to something like the 5442 series cameras over the cheaper alternatives out there.

I don't think HomeAssistant uses that much CPU either, but admittedly I use another automation software.

Last edited:

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm running 12 cameras, two ALPR, and DS on 4-6 cameras on a Dell I-6700 with only 8 GB ram and seeing 20% or less CPU, but it does spike. No GPU. Bought it on ebay two months ago for $330.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll have to leave that answer to the people that run Deepstack. I don't because the 5442 series cameras provide excellent AI triggering in the camera which means the camera's CPU does all the AI heavy lifting instead of BI.
This sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sure if HomeAssistant would then be able to use the camera's person detection as a trigger for automations.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anybody point me to a good example night video (IR and color) of a 4MP 5442 camera so I can show my dad the difference?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I threw in the 4K so you can see what that looks like too -

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
5442 2.8 turret overview cam coupled with a 5241 z12 focused for License plate capture. And those are email alerts at 90% resolution.
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED 2.8mm,
IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The Catalytic converter removal team showed up today at 5:30 in a black CRV. started sawing on a Tundra only to have the driver catch them coming outta the condo. They sped off. guy called ina plate. but they didn't finish the job and now the vehicle is leaking fluid. great. I've seen a Black CRV 2 other times for criminal activity. During the Summer of Fun, in the height of the Riots, they dropped off a stolen 4-Runner,,,,,,and Once for the US Postal key being used to get outgoing mail. grrrrrr.
Video and Pics tomorrow at 11....:)

Last edited:

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok so I found a relatively small chassis that is small enough for my dad's requirements (he's got a closet shelf that can't fit a big PC case).

I made a list of components that I think might fit the bill.

What do you guys think?

1629441982300.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The varifocal is a set it and forget it. It isn't designed for constant zooming in and out - that would be a PTZ. But you can adjust it as you finalize your set-up - it isn't like set it and lock it and not able to adjust it again.

The benefit of the varifocal over the fixed lens is that the varifocal allows you to zoom it in if needed to get the captures you want as you see how your system performs.

A newbie loves the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood" of the fixed wide angle lens. Once that novelty wears off and you want to IDENTIFY, then that is when the varifocal becomes a benefit over the fixed lens.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The varifocal is a set it and forget it. It isn't designed for constant zooming in and out - that would be a PTZ.
Thanks, that makes sense. While we're on the subject of PTZ - what would be the ideal use-case scenario there? I don't suppose it would be that useful if it requires you to be sitting at the controls to move the camera and zoom in on a subject to identify them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you try to just use a PTZ, it will be looking the wrong way. The PTZ will be looking left and someone comes from the right and you miss them.

Ideal case scenario for a PTZ is you have enough fixed cameras installed to capture all of your areas, and then the PTZ supplements it.

So the fixed cameras then become spotter cameras for the PTZ and when the fixed cam is triggered, it sends the PTZ to a preset to the area of motion and then an autotracking PTZ takes over and follows the person around automatically - you do not need to be sitting at the controls.

Sub $400, this is the best one out there, and in a few days @EMPIRETECANDY is running a great sale on this unit:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ideal case scenario for a PTZ is you have enough fixed cameras installed to capture all of your areas, and then the PTZ supplements it.
Oh cool. I don't think my dad's system needs to be that sophisticated haha, but thanks for the info!

Do you have any thoughts on the specs of my proposed BI system above?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That should be fine, but I would add another NIC so that you can keep the cameras off the internet - plug all the cameras via a switch into one NIC and then the internet into the other NIC

You don't have to build a system thought, most of us simply purchase a refurb off of ebay or amazon. A fraction of the cost you will spend to build. And a 4th, 5th, or 6th generation would be more than sufficient.