Which new Intel NUC?

Which Intel NUC CPU would be sufficient for these needs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
For what its worth this version of the G3 is basically the same dimensions as the ML07, but should cost you about 20%-40% as compared to building something.

I looked on ebay in the UK.

Cheapest one was £319 ($434) and they ranged up to £800 ($1,089) !!!

With most of them offered (they were all refurbs except the most expensive which claimed to be opened box never used), the sellers were offerring a range of options and once you specc'd 16GB RAM and a 256SSD (£30 these days?), the price rose to around £450 ($613). MUch cheaper to swap out yourself but still expensive way to go for a 7th gen refurb.

The UK is a rip off in my opinion.

By contrast to build an 11th gen 11400 based pc excluding OS, around £450-500. OS you could try the free upgrade route - still works for some people or buy a key, sometimes dodgy, but people seem to have success from some of thebetter known vendors.

With either there's then the storage drive on top.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DeepStack doesn't replace motion detection - it supplements it to knock out false triggers. DeepStack needs to have a picture sent to it - either BI motion detection or ONVIF trigger from the camera to trigger a picture that is sent to Deepstack for confirmation.

Plenty of people here use 5442 AI with BI and Home Assistant. In BI you simply have the trigger based on ONVIF trigger instead of BI Motion Detection trigger - at that point MQTT doesn't care how it is being told to send a command.

As long as it can run CUDA it will offload CPU power usage. Obviously a more expensive one that is more powerful is better, but sometimes we gotta work with what we have.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In BI you simply have the trigger based on ONVIF trigger instead of BI Motion Detection trigger - at that point MQTT doesn't care how it is being told to send a command.
I don't think that'll work if I've got the camera to detect other things as well as people - like cats or dogs.

Do you have any experience using HomeAssistant? Apparently every 'device' (BI would count as a device) carries with it certain 'switches'. In this case, BI would register 'person detected' as a binary switch. The problem is, I'm not sure if that switch would be valid if the detection is happening on the camera's end. I feel like the way you're describing it, BI would interpret any positive result coming from the camera equally, and the distinction between 'person' and 'cat' would disappear, meaning the 'person detected' switch within HomeAssistant would be useless.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The UK is a rip off in my opinion.
Yeah it's a similar story here in Australia.
I managed to find an i7 7700 refurbished, but they want $800 for it. If I swap out the 8Gb RAM for 16Gb, it'll be almost the same price as building an 11th gen from scratch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The AI in the camera is effective if you only care about human or cars, so if you want Home Assistant to trigger for cats, dogs, giraffe, toothbrush, toilet, etc., then you would need to use BI motion detection with the images being sent to DeepStack for confirmation and identification of it is a cat.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The AI in the camera is effective if you only care about human or cars, so if you want Home Assistant to trigger for cats, dogs, giraffe, toothbrush, toilet, etc., then you would need to use BI motion detection with the images being sent to DeepStack for confirmation and identification of it is a cat.
Oh so the camera's built in AI doesn't detect for dogs? My dad needs that feature because he wants the camera to alert him in case his dog escapes the yard.

Could I possible use both the camera's built in AI for persons and cars, and Deepstack for dogs?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you can certainly use both features. Lot's of ways to go about it.

You can set up a clone of the camera (an exact copy that doesn't use appreciable CPU resources) and can set one up for camera AI triggers and the other for BI motion.

Or you can do it within one camera. It depends on the end goal one is going after.

Many of us have the camera AI send us a push notification for human, but we have BI motion detection trigger alerts for other movements so that we have an alert image on the timeline for all motion.

BI is flexible and capable to meet just about any type of scenario one can think of.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Excellent. I'm already feeling huge amounts of anxiety navigating the labyrinth of menus ripping my hair out trying to get all of this to play nice lol.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I was running a NUC with an I5-8xxx something processor but I also was running NVR's for the video storage. The problem became when I kept adding 4K cameras and it over powered the processor. I was going to upgrade the NUC to a faster processor but when checking prices I found the Dell version to be cheaper and I bought it. So far no problem running 4K cameras. I now have 6 of them and there are no problems at all. I will probably wind up with 12 or so when the 4K varifocals come out next year..

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite :) :D - if on a relative budget then I would personally take a step down on the processor to an i5, maybe find a used/refurb machine with some kind of Nvidia GPU either Quadro P400 or similar. If DeepStack is being used then having a compatible GPU cannot hurt at all. I know this doesn't help machine size but SFF systems will take the Quadro series. If you go with a larger system then finding one refurb with an Nvidia 1050 would be nice but possibly unlikely.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite :) :D - if on a relative budget then I would personally take a step down on the processor to an i5, maybe find a used/refurb machine with some kind of Nvidia GPU either Quadro P400 or similar. If DeepStack is being used then having a compatible GPU cannot hurt at all. I know this doesn't help machine size but SFF systems will take the Quadro series. If you go with a larger system then finding one refurb with an Nvidia 1050 would be nice but possibly unlikely.
In an ideal world, that would be great - but finding a second-hand unit with all of those specs is practically impossible as far as I can tell - and those that come close are only about $150 cheaper than building my own.

The case I'm building in has room for a single-slot card, so I can eventually get a low profile 1050ti or P400 if need be.

Right now, I'm researching more into which cameras to get. I need something at least 4MP with mic and AI built in and good IR (color nightvision would be nice, but not if it relies upon built-in white LEDs, as his neighbors will complain).

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In an ideal world, that would be great - but finding a second-hand unit with all of those specs is practically impossible as far as I can tell - and those that come close are only about $150 cheaper than building my own.

The case I'm building in has room for a single-slot card, so I can eventually get a low profile 1050ti or P400 if need be.

Right now, I'm researching more into which cameras to get. I need something at least 4MP with mic and AI built in and good IR (color nightvision would be nice, but not if it relies upon built-in white LEDs, as his neighbors will complain).
Fair comment, we are fortunate in this part of the world that refurbished isn't normally too bad but there is a fine line no doubt. So long as you have scope for some kind of Nvidia with Cuda cores I wouldn't worry too much initially.

Dahua cameras are well regarded, I'd go with Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE range, any of the 5442 series with IR only. Colour at night will require artificial light of some sort. Been using Dahua cameras for several years now without any real issues and solid performance. Mic quality is good and IR acceptable depending on ambient light. I use most of mine in total darkness and even with shutter speed cranked up I am happy.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's way outside of the price range. I've noticed there's other brands of 5442-based cameras that are half the price. Would there be a huge difference between the two?
Here's an example.

Amazon.com : Loryta Outdoor Security 4MP Ultra Low Light Starlight+ WDR IR Turret AI IP Camera,IP67 Weatherproof,Support POE and ePOE,Built-in Mic,Vehicle and Human Detection,Fixed Lens IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm : Electronics
The Amazon link is the same camera the only difference is it will not have the Dahua name on it. Also the camera will be on sale Aug.25th-27th see the below link for details
EmpireTech 6 Years Anniversay Promotion Plan

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The link you provided is the 5442 we recommend that is sold by Andy @EMPIRETECANDY here on this forum under his Loryta and empiretech brand. His gear is Dahua OEM. You can purchase on his Amazon store or DM to purchase directly at a discount.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Amazon link is the same camera the only difference is it will not have the Dahua name on it.
Wow seriously? So there's no difference then? Even though it's literally half the price?
That's damn amazing.