Which PoE bullet cameras are good for identifying people? Mainly concerned about nighttime performance.

ParisL

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an Annke NVR, Reolink NVR, and also the ability to run Blue Iris. In any case, I was hoping some of you guys could point me in the right direction as far as a bullet camera that is useful in capturing faces. I live in a suburban area and the mounting location is about 20 feet from the sidewalk where I'd like to point the cameras.

My biggest concern is nighttime coverage. There was a mailbox thief in our neighborhood two nights ago, and the cameras I currently have were unable to make any facial ID. This was probably made more difficult by the fact that this bandit had a head lamp on to try and blow out any cameras that would see him.

I have seen the Dahua 5442 is quite popular on here, but I need a bullet camera since I can mount those nicely on the eaves of the house and mostly out of view.

Appreciate any advice you are willing to share!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look for a dahua or hikvision oem 4mp 1/1.8" varifocal model .. see dori section of cliff notes .. you need about 100 ppf where you want to ID someone .. more challenging of course in low light

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There's nothing special about bullets vs turrets. In longer range lenses, many only come in bullets due to the physical space needed for the lens and stuff. Most all models have a choice of bullet and turret with the exact same sensor and optics.

At 20ft the 5442 series would be my go-to. Probably the B54IR-Z4E-S3

There;s a whole lot of other things that go into face capture, especially at night, and if someone wants to defeat it using a bright headlamp, there's not much you can do. You dont likely have enough light to get color captures at night so most likely you'll be in B&W with IR unless you can live with shining white light LED's onto the passers by, which may present other problems