Which system?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the replies. I have been reading and the lorex doesn't really do it for me. Alot of dead cameras and issues. I was about to order the hikvision and found a store nearby, kinda nearby. He suggested this kit he had in stock.
He said better then both I mentioned above.

Dahua N484E62 IP Security Camera Kit with 6 Cameras
https://www.aartech.ca/dahua-n484e62-ip-security-camera-kit

Is he just trying to sell me his stuff?
I would installing 4 of the cameras outdoors under eves and 2 in the hallway inside.

Thanks again for all the replies.
2tb I think would be fine, I wouldn't need anything longer then a week. Can I put a bigger hd in this one later if I decided?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Hi @Bigred78

In general, members have not been impressed with the older 4MP cameras from Dahua. ( there should be some nice ones coming out later this year iirc ).
The imaging sensor is 1/3" and iirc an older sensor chip. Looking closer the NVR appears to be a more affordable model.

Lorex - is like toyota, nissan, or any other brand - they have a wide array of products. The nicer IP POE products are Dahua OEM products and are good hardware. The cheaper stuff I recommend people avoid. Remember when you read reviews on products you really need to understand that many reviewers are completely clueless on how to judge a security camera / security camera system as they have little experience with it and that often failures are associated with quality of installation, exposure to cyber attacks ( by port forwarding ), or other issues which may not be due to the quality of the product at all. In fact the system you are being recommended is basically the same turret / eyeball cameras that are included in this kit 2K IP Security Camera System with 16 Channel NVR and 8 HD IP Outdoor 4MP Cameras, 130FT Night Vision ( note, the NVR in the lorex kit is a more powerful one iirc )

the kit which was recommended to you:

Our Price: $1,299.00 CAD ( currently 1 CAD to 0.73 USD so that's about $948.27 )

Dahua N484E62 IP Security Camera Kit Features:
  • Easy plug and play installation and configuration
  • Easy remote access using quick cloud setup and free apps
  • Supports iOs and Android smart phones
  • Free windows management software available

Camera Features:
  • 4 Megapixels
  • Colour day time imaging
  • Night vision infrared to 90 meters
  • Smart night vision LEDs
  • Wide angle 2.8mm lens
  • Angle of view: 104 deg horizontal, 57 deg vertical
  • 1/3" CMOS sensor
  • 2688 x 1520 max resolution

NVR Features:

• 8 PoE ports for cameras
  • PoE ports provide power
  • Supports up to 8MP cameras
  • H.265 and H.264
  • 80 Mbps max recording bit rate
  • HDMI and VGA port
  • 1 x RCA audio input

• 1 x RCA audio output
  • 1 x SATA port supporting up to 6TB HDD

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also you probably don't want 2.8mm lenses on all cams. I only have one location on a door where that is useful and even there it is a bit wide. Makes it difficult to ID people.

Bigred78

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Bigred78

In general, members have not been impressed with the older 4MP cameras from Dahua. ( there should be some nice ones coming out later this year iirc ).
The imaging sensor is 1/3" and iirc an older sensor chip. Looking closer the NVR appears to be a more affordable model.

Lorex - is like toyota, nissan, or any other brand - they have a wide array of products. The nicer IP POE products are Dahua OEM products and are good hardware. The cheaper stuff I recommend people avoid. Remember when you read reviews on products you really need to understand that many reviewers are completely clueless on how to judge a security camera / security camera system as they have little experience with it and that often failures are associated with quality of installation, exposure to cyber attacks ( by port forwarding ), or other issues which may not be due to the quality of the product at all. In fact the system you are being recommended is basically the same turret / eyeball cameras that are included in this kit 2K IP Security Camera System with 16 Channel NVR and 8 HD IP Outdoor 4MP Cameras, 130FT Night Vision ( note, the NVR in the lorex kit is a more powerful one iirc )

the kit which was recommended to you:

Our Price: $1,299.00 CAD ( currently 1 CAD to 0.73 USD so that's about $948.27 )

Dahua N484E62 IP Security Camera Kit Features:
  • Easy plug and play installation and configuration
  • Easy remote access using quick cloud setup and free apps
  • Supports iOs and Android smart phones
  • Free windows management software available

Camera Features:
  • 4 Megapixels
  • Colour day time imaging
  • Night vision infrared to 90 meters
  • Smart night vision LEDs
  • Wide angle 2.8mm lens
  • Angle of view: 104 deg horizontal, 57 deg vertical
  • 1/3" CMOS sensor
  • 2688 x 1520 max resolution

NVR Features:

• 8 PoE ports for cameras
  • PoE ports provide power
  • Supports up to 8MP cameras
  • H.265 and H.264
  • 80 Mbps max recording bit rate
  • HDMI and VGA port
  • 1 x RCA audio input

• 1 x RCA audio output
  • 1 x SATA port supporting up to 6TB HDD
So is there a system you would recommend for roughly 1200cad? 4 outdoor cameras mounted under the eve.
2 cameras in hallway. No need for more then a week of recording. The property is lit quite well.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So is there a system you would recommend for roughly 1200cad? 4 outdoor cameras mounted under the eve.
2 cameras in hallway. No need for more then a week of recording. The property is lit quite well.

Hi @Bigred78

I do not fully understand your requirements, so it is hard for me to recommend a particular system / kit.

In general I would
1) Determine what your functional needs are first.
2) See what is available from local vendors to meet that need.
3) See what Andy has available to meet that need.

And then look at the budget and see what sort of compromises you have to make.

Often many people come here with a budget in mind, and no functional requirements specified.

This is similar to having a budget randomly given to you by someone who has only seen movies like fast and furious to buy a vehicle for some sort of unspecified work.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thread update :

Got both the 4MP QVIS camera's up & running now - a bit of messing about but really impressed by the picture quality & low (no) light IR illumination

Far better than the Hikvision turret which, try as I might, my system just won't see

Lesson learnt here I think - stay away from Hikvision :(