WHO CAN ID THIS POLE-MOUNTED EQUIPMENT ?

knx26

n3wb
Reaction score
First noticed this installation 1-2 years ago.

Recently have begun seeing several more around town.

They are mounted on utility poles 15-20' above ground alongside well travelled public roads, aimed at passing traffic.

These appear to be self-contained and powered by pole mounted batteries and solar panels. No obvious evidence of wired or wireless backhaul - i.e.: no communication cables or external antennas.

Anyone familiar with make, model #, link to manufacturer's specs, and the most likely purpose, or other information, please share.

Thanks.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to see proof that this tiny thing can really read plates. Doesn't look much larger than an arlo. Has to be a 2.8mm or smaller lens.

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Flock. flocksafety.com

That $2000/year cost includes cellular, which runs $40/month. If you add up the costs of cellular, cloud hosting, installation and maintenance labor, technicians, IT people to support the system, etc. it's cheap compared to the other options out there. That's how these cities are able to put up dozens of them.

knx26

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. I figured this was an LPR system of some sort but had a hard time believing they could be very effective, given the substandard looking installations. Guess they must work somewhat or the customers (local governments) wouldn't be spending $2K per month on each of them.

knx26

n3wb
Reaction score
Correction: $2K per year, not per month, which actually is very reasonable, assuming it works as advertised. I don't recall seeing any local news reports about crimes solved through the use of these, although I imagine law enforcement likely prefers to keep this program under wraps.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Guess they must work somewhat or the customers (local governments) wouldn't be spending $2K per month on each of them.
I don't recall seeing any local news reports about crimes solved through the use of these, although I imagine law enforcement likely prefers to keep this program under wraps.
According to statements in my link (the first reply to your post, BTW):

"....Since the system was installed less than three months ago, it has helped catch two murder suspects, more than 100 car thieves, and a violent robber just a few days ago."
Personally, I'm somewhat skeptical of their effectiveness. I'd like to see some images, but I realize that's not going to happen. Pretty crappy-looking installations, too.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
These have been popping up in my area at a alarming rate. and they do work. I got a letter in the mail with a pic of one of my vans speeding down the street. it had a pic of the plate attached and it was a really good picture. as someone else mentioned these are provided by Flock. and these are installed by whoever they sub the work out to. The installations I have seen are pretty clean for the most part.I hear they will be installing many more of these in the near future.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The installations I have seen are pretty clean for the most part.I hear they will be installing many more of these in the near future.
True...it boils down to several factors: know-how, experience, skill and my favorite.......desire.
IMO, it's a lot like being a good cook...some folks just aren't good at it no matter how hard they try! (like me). :cool:

johnstjs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea of what make/model camera they are?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never mind - I answered my own question - they're the Flock Safety Falcon.
1646199709354.png

last page of overview .. does not show resolution nor fov specs ..

1646199797583.png

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
that thing isnt as small as I first thought. I could see a fixed lens device of that size being able to have 90ft. LPR ability. Hell my 6mm fixed lens 5442 Turret is reading them on a pole 11 feet up at about 2 1/2 car lengths. Might be able to get 3 car lengths if it was truly dedicated to one lane of traffic.