Why Buy Dahua?

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why are the Dahua Starlight IP cameras so recommended when a single camera costs almost as much as a cheap all-in-one DVR setup? I'd like to hear every reason there is. I've already bought some myself, I have 2x 2231 and 1x 5231. They're great quality cameras, and I come from a custom PC building hobby where I value quality stuff. But if I had to convince someone else to buy these cameras, or at least defend my purchases, and particularly from some guy named Andy in Hong Kong, what would I tell them?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The images produced by these cameras are significantly better than similarly priced cameras. What is the following quotation supposed to mean? I can purchase a Dahua Starlight camera for $130.00. Are you saying that you are able to purchase a kit consisting of multiple cameras and a DVR for $130.00?
Why are the Dahua Starlight IP cameras so recommended when a single camera costs almost as much as a cheap all-in-one DVR setup?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
The main selling point for me is the low-light performance. I have other cheaper cameras that work fine for me otherwise. But they tend to produce very noisy images at night, even with their IR illuminators on.

On the other hand, the Dahua starlights I have in some of the same locations even stay in color mode with better images at the same time.

It is the same with digital photo cameras. If you want good low-light performance, you end up needing to spend more for units with better (and often larger) image sensors. A lot of what you pay for in any digital camera is the sensor IC itself.

Then there is the image processing, as well. This can have a huge effect on image quality. Again, you pay more to have faster, more powerful processors, RAM, etc.

Faster, better lenses also cost more.

But there is a lot of competition in this field. And new models appear all of the time. Better and perhaps cheaper cameras are and will be coming out. So like any other high tech gadgets, you have to constantly stay up with reviews and try to get the most quality for your money.

Right now, for low light, people seem to be preferring the Dahua Starlight models. But that could change at any time if someone comes out with even better/cheaper units.

Often, the very inexpensive NVR-camera kits seem quite attractive. But there are usually annoying tradeoffs. And considering the labor you'll put into mounting everything, running cables, and getting it all to do what you want, sometimes the money you spend on the hardware becomes rather insignificant, especially if the end result is poor or doesn't do what you need. Re-buying it all, and reinstalling everything is not pleasant.

Usually, you won't discover the downsides of a system until you have it installed and get some time to use it. That's where research and advice from people who have already been down that road can help a lot!

So it does make sense to research everything first and try to get a system that you'll be happy with on the first try.

Last edited:

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The images produced by these cameras are significantly better than similarly priced cameras. What is the following quotation supposed to mean? I can purchase a Dahua Starlight camera for $130.00. Are you saying that you are able to purchase a kit consisting of multiple cameras and a DVR for $130.00?
Cheap DVR/NVR 4x camera kits are as cheap as $149.99 when on sale/clearance. It's not that Dahua's are too expensive. But if someone doesn't have anything to compare too as far as quality and only price, and I only have Dahua's, they would seem to be expensive.

Thanks for the replies.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are a lot of really really bad security cameras out there marketed to people who don't know any better.

Find and look at sample images on some of these products in Amazon reviews and then compare to images from a better camera. Video is more revealing than images, but it's easier to find comparison images.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Usually, you won't discover the downsides of a system until you have it installed and get some time to use it.
Spot on advice!
Maybe you believe Motion Detect will work as "advertised". But after the time spent installing, configuring, and living with MD, you'll discover that MD sucks for outdoors. As many here, including myself, can attest.
After all that time, the Costco return policy may have expired.
Later, as you get up the learning curve, you'll learn how IVS is superior for greatly reducing the falso alerts. Costco kits often don't include the IVS feature.
Lotsa ppl buy Ring & Arlo, only later to discover their many shortcomings.
Think of the quote "the sweetness of a low price turns to a sour taste when low quality is discovered", or something like that.
The advice here is tried & true IMHO. I've got cams I regret buying. They've been re-located to view easy spots, like low-security spots (inside garage, overall view, etc).
For my low-light critical areas, picking the right cam is important. I've been pleased with Starlights. Cheap cams aren't worth it in the long run. YMMV.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Cheap DVR/NVR 4x camera kits are as cheap as $149.99 when on sale/clearance.
Sure, old technology is always cheaper than the new and better stuff. The "Closeout" sales are called that for a reason.

If you're focused on a low cost solution, like a closeout kit, stay away from siamese cabling. (analog cams). Wiring is often the most expensive part of installing a cam security system. Future-proof your system by puling cat cables.

I see you joined this forum last month. Yo{and linksur questions are similar to many newbies who join this site, so Q & A info is here, for your google-fu skills ]o unearth. Secondly, the people here are savvy, they don't embrace bleeding-edge tech without seeing the better performance for themselves. Lotsa vids posted (and links) showing side-by-side comparisons. U can make an educated buying decision.

Good luck, sir. Lotsa info here, and the learning curvve can be steep.

Fastb

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But if I had to convince someone else to buy these cameras, or at least defend my purchases, and particularly from some guy named Andy in Hong Kong, what would I tell them?
I'd just mention that the low-light tech in these cameras is still pretty much only used by the professional-grade manufacturers and hasn't filtered down to the consumer level brands yet. Then mention that these professional-grade manufacturers don't sell directly to the public, ... you have to buy from a reseller or installer like that guy Andy in HK, who has made a name for himself with his sales and support.

Last edited: