Why is Blue Iris better than an NVR...

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of using a dedicated computer with blue iris as opposed to buying an nvr....
I Normally buy nvrs as they cost about 300 bucks and if I wanted a dedicated computer id spend minimum 800 bucks. So why not buy an Nvr? Also their is no manual operator or someone who is in a control room monitoring the cams 24/7. Its a standalone system that just records and they are checked occaisonally.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of using a dedicated computer with blue iris as opposed to buying an nvr....
I Normally buy nvrs as they cost about 300 bucks and if I wanted a dedicated computer id spend minimum 800 bucks. So why not buy an Nvr? Also their is no manual operator or someone who is in a control room monitoring the cams 24/7. Its a standalone system that just records and they are checked occaisonally.

NVRs are limited in power and functionality, I can put any CPU, drives, etc I want in a desktop. I can also do a lot more than a little NVR box, but if you only need basic functions and not a lot of cameras they are fine.

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why is it that an NVR is soo basic in power etc and can run Cams fine but Blue Iris requires i7 lots of Ram etc?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is it that an NVR is soo basic in power etc and can run Cams fine but Blue Iris requires i7 lots of Ram etc?

Doesn't require i7 or lots of RAM... Varies by resolution and number of cams.....It's much more versatile than any standalone NVR...

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
NVRs are running linux, and I would guess are more efficient (processor wise) than a PC running windows and BI.
I opted for BI though, for the increased flexibility. To me, it was worth it to spend a little more on a PC/BI setup that I could tweak more to my liking.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
NVRs are running linux, and I would guess are more efficient (processor wise) than a PC running windows and BI.
I opted for BI though, for the increased flexibility. To me, it was worth it to spend a little more on a PC/BI setup that I could tweak more to my liking.
its more than that, NVR's are dumb boxes that simply record when the camera instructs them to..the display on the substream in matrix view...blue iris pulls the main stream all the time...yes there are more efficient vms out there but you will have to pay dearly and have less motion detection flexibility...

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What specs computer should I look for to run 8-10cams at 720p with cloud upload..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What specs computer should I look for to run 8-10cams at 720p with cloud upload..

at 720p a modern i3 haswell/skylake is sufficient but I would get an i5 haswell/skylake is the price difference is negligible..

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So still about USD 500... my problem is that i just view cams remotely... these cams are to be installed in my branches up country. As of now the ppl only turn NVR on and I watch remotely when ever I can and they access the recordings when need arises etc.. you think for my application its worth getting a pc? Because after shop closes cams close also and start when shop opens. So than the guy would have to turn pc on....open blue iris etc etc.
More hastle at a higher price no?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So still about USD 500... my problem is that i just view cams remotely... these cams are to be installed in my branches up country. As of now the ppl only turn NVR on and I watch remotely when ever I can and they access the recordings when need arises etc.. you think for my application its worth getting a pc? Because after shop closes cams close also and start when shop opens. So than the guy would have to turn pc on....open blue iris etc etc.
More hastle at a higher price no?

If you are happy with your setup then why change?
Unfortunately you live in a country where you cannot get pc's at a good price...

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah thats true .. no deals no sales lol... even cams etc are hella expensive. Its good I can install all this myself...with the help of you guys otherwise the charges are also extremely high... I pay 100 dollars for unlimited Internet at a speed of 512kbps... other plans are limited so 3g speeds are like 30gb at 100 dollars...

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Planning to buy DE-2CD2342WD-I is 115USD/pcs and DS-2CD2542FWD-IS any reviews or feedback on these... also these are apparently english and upgradable... and NVR same old 7608 8p

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As a professional installer I sit with different views to most diyers.

True a PC with Blue iris has more functions, but it's just a PC and can't handle large systems to well great with 8 or so cameras but will fall over at 128 camera's, OS failures are all to common and system freezes.
I will always have an NVR to record call it the video safe, then a VMS PC just to play with.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As a professional installer I sit with different views to most diyers.

True a PC with Blue iris has more functions, but it's just a PC and can't handle large systems to well great with 8 or so cameras but will fall over at 128 camera's, OS failures are all to common and system freezes.
I will always have an NVR to record call it the video safe, then a VMS PC just to play with.
Correct its not designed for 128 many cameras but many users here are running 20+ cams some 40+ ..there are hard core pc based vms systems that will handle 128 easy, just gonna cost you..they are just as stable as standalone nvr...the standalones have freeze and crash issues as we see here all the time..

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Correct its not designed for 128 many cameras but many users here are running 20+ cams some 40+ ..there are hard core pc based vms systems that will handle 128 easy, just gonna cost you..they are just as stable as standalone nvr...the standalones have freeze and crash issues as we see here all the time..
cheap oneski maybe, regardless of system Wether using a PC or NVR don't buy cheap PC drives, there is only 2 drive designed for cctv's needs and only 1 that is worth using WD PURX 4tb or 6tb this is your life line to the heart of your system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
cheap oneski maybe, regardless of system Wether using a PC or NVR don't buy cheap PC drives, there is only 2 drive designed for cctv's needs and only 1 that is worth using WD PURX 4tb or 6tb this is your life line to the heart of your system.
Its not just the drives...as will all technology proper design and setup will result in a stable system..

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Random question for BI vs NVR, how do you use alarm I/O with BI? is there an I/O add on or do you guys just use the I/O included with specific IPCs