Why so few reviews of Hikvision IP cams and comparisons with Duhua?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Been doing a lot of reading and general ‘noseying’ around the forums and one thing I’ve noticed is the lack of reviews for Hikvision cams, am I just not going far back enough? Within a few days of being here I got pretty familiar with the Duhua camera models but still have to go back to the main Hikvision site to get the details of a model that is being commented on.

Not a moan or anything, just an observation and I’m still looking and reading in the hope that I can finally decide what exact models I need.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect this may be rooted in the fact that Dahua were well ahead of Hikvision with their ultra-low-light models, which excited lots of interest and comment and reviews.
Hikvision did eventually catch up a bit with similar models, but by then the Dahua supporters had a very clear lead in terms of numbers, and Hikvision are still trailing.

Then of course we have the user-unfriendly attitude of Hikvision to end-users of their products, which must turn quite a few people off.
This is built in to the way the products operate, not just their tech support and service.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not to mention that Hikvision was started by, and still partly owned by the Chinese Govt.

"Established in 2001, Hikvision, which originated as a Chinese government research institute, maintains strong ties with that government. More than 42 percent of the company is owned by China’s state-owned enterprises."

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
in the hope that I can finally decide what exact models I need.
That’s another thing... IMO, Dahua has more low-light models to chose from. At one point Hik didn’t offer low-light varifocal turrets w/ microphones (like Dahua’s 5231/2231 models), mini-domes (like the Dahua 4231 that folks use on porches/patios), or an inexpensive PTZ mini-dome (like the SD1A203G-TN). Not sure if they do nowadays...

I also think that Andy is a big reason behind Dahua’s popularity here, too. Beyond providing review units, I think most folks here would agree that he’s a great vendor to do business with. His prices are reasonable, he makes shipping to anywhere in the world easy, and he’s an active member on the forum here sharing news, advice, and taking concerns here back to Dahua support when needed.

Now that IPCT (the forum here) is selling rebranded Hikvision models at a competitive cost, I think that will help rekindle some Hikvision interest here.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep agree with all the points made. I posted in the Hikvision vendor and to date not received a reply whereas any question I’ve asked Andy has been promptly answered.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's currently Chinese new year which means most of china is on vacation. If you want Hikvision cameras, try the IPCT branded cameras, LTS, or Nelly's.

If you go back before 2016 or 2017, various Hikvision brands were recommended more frequently here than Dahua.
There are lots of good and bad cameras out there from many brands, including Hikvision and Dahua. Brand alone is not an adequate indicator of quality.
There also brands that are complete trash.

Last edited:

WoodenTop

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision are huge here in the UK and I see their cameras in businesses everywhere from McDonalds to being used as ANPR/LPR in car parks etc. The Hikvision cams I have had have been super reliable.