Wife Wants A Ring Doorbell, I Want Decent Gear. Help Me Win!

jonshonda

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

Let me start of by thanking your for your time spent helping me win! haha It's not really about winning, its about having the gear needed if/when the situation calls for it.

Long story short, we have a couple younger kids who are starting to stay home alone more and more frequently (an hour here or there) and aren't too far away from staying home alone for longer periods of time. What I am hoping for initially is likely (4) cameras. I will go into more detail below regarding their operating conditions. Future plans might include indoor cameras of some sort with the ability to interact with the kids when they are home. I have limited/not advanced computer knowledge and am very limited on time, but am smart enough to figure most stuff out w/o too much babysitting.

I don't need full time recording, just event recording. But viewing from our Android phones is a must. Cameras don't need to be fancy, just good dependable units that are ok with dealing with cold Wisconsin winters. I will have fairly easy POE wiring access to the porch, driveway and back of garage cameras. But the patio door camera will need wires ran on the exterior of the wall.

Front of the house (which faces directly east if that matters):

1) Short black line;
Is the front door which is under the roof of a covered porch. Fairly dark under there even on sunny days. Short distance facial recognition is key, a light is likely needed, and two way communication would be preferred (basically a fancy ring doorbell?).

2) Long black line/driveway: Roughly 75' with a standard led street light across the street. Even though the street light is there, it is still fairly dark in our yard at night. But I would prefer to be able to have the ability to have fairly good detail of cars/people on the street as well as in the driveway if possible.

Back of the house:

3)
Behind the garage toward shed. (To the back of the property is roughly 75', not to the end of the line...sorry) . I would be happy with a camera similar to the driveway camera, but possibly a little shorter distance to possibly capture people close to the door on the back of the garage.

4) Circle/Patio Door. This gets a fair amount of light during the day, but is dark at night. Would like facial recognition similar to the front door camera, but two way communication isn't needed.
Camera Layout.png

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally I have not found a doorbell that works as well as Ring. Their app is on point, 2 way talking works well, people detection and notifications work well

I would get a Ring and make your wife happy, BUT then add an additional camera to cover the front door. Best of both worlds IMO. A doorbell camera is never going to give you super great footage just because of the form factor

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@samplenhold posted a great comparison between a real camera and his neighbors ring cameras.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What @IReallyLikePizza2 said. My Ring Video Pro was a great doorbell camera, but it is not enough camera. Get a Ring, but don’t expect the speed to be fast enough to actually talk to someone at your door from the app. It may sometimes work, but often they’ll be gone before you can talk to them through the app like they show in the commercials. And don’t expect wifi cameras to satisfy your needs. A POE Camera system into a Blue Iris PC or NVR will be best for video monitoring.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
What @IReallyLikePizza2 said. My Ring Video Pro was a great doorbell camera, but it is not enough camera. Get a Ring, but don’t expect the speed to be fast enough to actually talk to someone at your door from the app. It may sometimes work, but often they’ll be gone before you can talk to them through the app like they show in the commercials. And don’t expect wifi cameras to satisfy your needs. A POE Camera system into a Blue Iris PC or NVR will be best for video monitoring.
Have you tried the Rapid Ring app? I've been using it for a while now and its easily 5x as fast as the normal app

I just looked at the footage which I never do, and honestly its not bad. For the intended use of seeing someone at your door, I think its pretty great

2021-10-18 14.38.56.PNG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

Let me start of by thanking your for your time spent helping me win! haha It's not really about winning, its about having the gear needed if/when the situation calls for it.

Long story short, we have a couple younger kids who are starting to stay home alone more and more frequently (an hour here or there) and aren't too far away from staying home alone for longer periods of time. What I am hoping for initially is likely (4) cameras. I will go into more detail below regarding their operating conditions. Future plans might include indoor cameras of some sort with the ability to interact with the kids when they are home. I have limited/not advanced computer knowledge and am very limited on time, but am smart enough to figure most stuff out w/o too much babysitting.

I don't need full time recording, just event recording. But viewing from our Android phones is a must. Cameras don't need to be fancy, just good dependable units that are ok with dealing with cold Wisconsin winters. I will have fairly easy POE wiring access to the porch, driveway and back of garage cameras. But the patio door camera will need wires ran on the exterior of the wall.

Front of the house (which faces directly east if that matters):

1) Short black line;
Is the front door which is under the roof of a covered porch. Fairly dark under there even on sunny days. Short distance facial recognition is key, a light is likely needed, and two way communication would be preferred (basically a fancy ring doorbell?).

2) Long black line/driveway: Roughly 75' with a standard led street light across the street. Even though the street light is there, it is still fairly dark in our yard at night. But I would prefer to be able to have the ability to have fairly good detail of cars/people on the street as well as in the driveway if possible.

Back of the house:

3)
Behind the garage toward shed. (To the back of the property is roughly 75', not to the end of the line...sorry) . I would be happy with a camera similar to the driveway camera, but possibly a little shorter distance to possibly capture people close to the door on the back of the garage.

4) Circle/Patio Door. This gets a fair amount of light during the day, but is dark at night. Would like facial recognition similar to the front door camera, but two way communication isn't needed.
View attachment 105290

Welcome @jonshonda

You will probably need more than 4 cameras to get what you are imagining you want / need.

I personally have not found a doorbell camera product I would fully recommend.

If your wife really wants a Ring camera for the front door - then I would get that - AND place a mini-dome wedge camera at the front door at about face level. ( or a dual lens camera .. )

Otherwise, imho best to start with a decent varifocal 4MP 1/1.8"+ sensor IP PoE camera and a small poe switch and start to play with it. This will help you learn the most, and it's a good camera that you probably would keep even if you plan to get other models which are fixed lens for your setup.

jonshonda

n3wb
Reaction score
Three rules
Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Rule #3 is the most important!
Nope, I've got way too many hobbies as it is! Don't need another one I can't possibly keep up with. Just need something that works and has good performance and IQ.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll add my two cents to the get a Ring doorbell and get other, good, cameras. The Ring, and similar ones, will not provide you the quality you can get with Dahuas or others. And, you will want more cameras, you will need cameras when you miss something.

jonshonda

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @jonshonda
Otherwise, imho best to start with a decent varifocal 4MP 1/1.8"+ sensor IP PoE camera and a small poe switch and start to play with it. This will help you learn the most, and it's a good camera that you probably would keep even if you plan to get other models which are fixed lens for your setup.
Thanks! Any suggestions?

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you tried the Rapid Ring app? I've been using it for a while now and its easily 5x as fast as the normal app

….
I haven’t. When my Ring died at just under 3 yrs old, I replaced it with a Nest Hello, because I had a couple of Nest cameras already, and the cloud storage plan is a fixed charge not based on number of cameras. Plus, the Ring only recorded video when triggered, whereas the Nest did 24/7. Within the next few months, all my Nest cams will be replaced with cams on my BI system, and then I’ll have to decide what to do about a doorbell.
By then I’ll have at least 2 IP cams watching the front, so I’ll either go low tech for a doorbell or try another Ring. I did kinda like the Ring neighbors’ app when crimes or suspicious people were posted, but got sick of all the people posting their videos warning of bears, bobcat, and coyote passing through their yards.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
By then I’ll have at least 2 IP cams watching the front, so I’ll either go low tech for a doorbell or try another Ring. I did kinda like the Ring neighbors’ app when crimes or suspicious people were posted, but got sick of all the people posting their videos warning of bears, bobcat, and coyote passing through their yards.
You're not missing out, at least in my area they have gutted it. No actual crimes get posted anymore, anything I post gets removed instantly

All that they want posted his happy things, which I'm not on there for

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
any doorbell with poe which uses a real sip server/or client with connected to a real sip app with a real push server give you the best experience.

everything else with wifi, own app, modded sip protocol is NOT reliable .

most problems with ring is caused by wifi.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@IReallyLikePizza2 Don't forget to press that "Buy again" button a few more times :rofl:

The current goto camera is the Dahua 5442 or its Hikvision equivalent. When looking for cameras always look for sensor size first, then resolution. There is a direct relationship between the sensor size and resolution when it comes to night video. Night time is when we all seem to need it to be good which makes that important. No matter what camera you choose, look for night video with motion and the motion should be detailed and blur free, otherwise it's useless.

1/3" = .333" Great for 720P
1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet) Great for 2MP
1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball) Great for 4MP
1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round) Great for 8MP

8MP Review

5442 Reviews

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will get more cams if you really want coverage and the ability to IDENTIFY who is out there.

To identify someone with the 2.8mm lens that most people opt for, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1634594005284.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm fixed lens 4k cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away. Meanwhile my 2MP varifocal optically zoomed in to the public sidewalk provided the money shot to the police to get my neighbors all their stuff back. Nobody else had video that could provide anything useful, other than what time this motion blur ghost was at their car.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area.

So you will need to identify the distance the camera would be from the activities you want to IDENTIFY on and purchase the correct camera for that distance as an optical zoom.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks! Any suggestions?
see @IReallyLikePizza2 post:

as well as @sebastiantombs post:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
The earlybird gets the worm. Plan A: Get the camera you want, install it and then show her what a marvelous picture it has. Or.......Plan B: if you have to get the ring too, just don't connect it, show her your video and don't tell her it's not the ring video. Sometimes, what they don't know can't hurt you......and keeps peace in the family......:cool: