WiFi Camera options where no wires are possible?

DRRyan

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm working with a most unreasonable person (my dad) who has a large log home built when thin-net was how you put together a network. All exterior and most interior walls are log, minimum diameter of 10". Floors are concrete substrate with hot water radiant heat built into the concrete. The home is built lengthwise down a steep grade (to maximize the view) and has four levels. There are no options to install cat6 for wired or POE cameras since drilling vertically through the logs or through the floors simply won't happen. Wires running along baseboards and up walls aren't happening either.

I know the strong opinions here about not using WiFi cameras, but they simply aren't an option. We've setup the house with multiple access points using G.Hn ethernet over electrical wire and MoCa ethernet over coax and now have pretty good coverage.

Most WiFi cameras I've seen are still operating at 2.4 GHz. Are there any that are working in the 5 GHz spectrum yet? Even though we've spread the adjacent access points across non-overlapping channels, WiFi analyzers still show some overlap of weak signals.

We have a camera pointed at the front door (an older Axis M1031-W), another looking through a window at the driveway, and another just for checking out the view of the mountains. I cannot change the motion detection on the Axis because of the Java security and the other two cameras are older than the Axis. So, it's time to upgrade and install BI for motion detection and smartphone access. We'd like to add a few more cameras at the same time.

So, if you found yourself in this position, what camera(s) would you consider?

Some of the more vocal participants here really like the Dahua cameras, but they are butt ugly. The Hikvision cube or similar Axis form factor are easy to place, aren't all that noticeable and in a pinch can be spray painted to blend into their backgrounds better. I'm not after the lowest price option, but also don't have the budget to spend $1500+ per camera.

The PC that BI will be installed on is wired. Internet connection is OK (about 50Mbs). Cameras are off when house is occupied.

If I could, I'd install cat6 cable in a instant. It's not an option, so please spare me the standard "WiFi sucks" comments. I have to work within the parameters I've been handed.

Thanks in advance
DRRyan

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The cameras require power...how are you running cable to that?
any camera can be made wifi, using a wifi bridge...that lets you use any type of wifi you want...there is a newer version of the dahua starlight varifocal that looks better...either one looks better than the cubes...its all a matter of taste..

DRRyan

n3wb
Reaction score
Cameras are placed mainly based on proximity to existing AC power. While it's OK for me to run a DC power cord from a outlet to a camera mounted above a door frame by tucking it along the trim, a network cable is not acceptable. I've been known to splice an "extension" into the DC portion to get power to where it's needed.

As I stated at the outset, I'm working with an unreasonable person with specific opinions on what is acceptable from an appearance standpoint. It's his house.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cameras are placed mainly based on proximity to existing AC power. While it's OK for me to run a DC power cord from a outlet to a camera mounted above a door frame by tucking it along the trim, a network cable is not acceptable. I've been known to splice an "extension" into the DC portion to get power to where it's needed.

As I stated at the outset, I'm working with an unreasonable person with specific opinions on what is acceptable from an appearance standpoint. It's his house.
doesnt sound like he wants cameras....
dahua has some wifi models, there is a new starlight minidome ptz with IR model that is available as wifi, see thread and dahua website...should be available in a month or two..

DRRyan

n3wb
Reaction score
After re-reading your post - additional hardware at each camera placement isn't really an option. The idea is to allow permanent placement, but not make the cameras obvious.

I'm really after some recommendations for fairly reliable WiFi cameras, and to find out if anyone has experience with any 802.11ac 5GHz cameras.

Reduced frame rates are perfectly OK with me, as long as they're high enough for reliable motion detection.

DRRyan

n3wb
Reaction score
IR isn't really a requirement. 1-2 LUX has worked for us so far. Anything looking outside is through glass, so IR is off anyways.

Re "doesn't sound like he wants cameras" - yes, he does. But, he wants them on his terms and I'm trying to find a way to accommodate his wants.

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Running wire in a log home is easy. Ive installed thousands of outlets. Hire a professional with the right tools. He will get what he needs and wont see it.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
24/7 recording required? if not (Motion Detection video only) and you don't mind swapping batteries every so often... can consider the Netgear Arlo series... (put on flame proof suit)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some of the more vocal participants here really like the Dahua cameras, but they are butt ugly. The Hikvision cube or similar Axis form factor are easy to place, aren't all that noticeable and in a pinch can be spray painted to blend into their backgrounds better. I'm not after the lowest price option, but also don't have the budget to spend $1500+ per camera.
Dahua, Hikvision, and Axis all make a very wide range of camera types. The 'turret' style is talked about a lot because of performance and because it's less obtrusive than a bullet style camera. If you add a little paint they can blend in pretty well here are 2 examples of painted turrets:
Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F?
Finally some progress with my cameras.
The turrets used in these threads are about $120-170.

The 'cube' style you mention isn't designed to be used outdoors.