Wifi Doorbell

Aerrow

n3wb
Reaction score
I am also very interested in the Dahua Villa series but I would like to see some reviews before committing to it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am also very interested in the Dahua Villa series but I would like to see some reviews before committing to it.
Info is sparse for sure... some of them are a little chunky. Search youtube for the various models. There are some reviews / unboxing videos in other languages, but you'll still learn stuff.

fooey

n3wb
Reaction score
@galaksy2001 Can't seem to find any info as others have also found info sparse... Does the video monitor make any ringing/door bell chime sounds when activated by the door unit?

What I like about the DoorBird is that it has a PIR so video can be captured as someone approaches, even if they do not end up pushing the door bell. It can be connected to a normal door chime (which is useful for other home occupants).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@galaksy2001 Can't seem to find any info as others have also found info sparse... Does the video monitor make any ringing/door bell chime sounds when activated by the door unit?

What I like about the DoorBird is that it has a PIR so video can be captured as someone approaches, even if they do not end up pushing the door bell. It can be connected to a normal door chime (which is useful for other home occupants).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think it does, there a video in russian that shows this iirc.

It would be a more useful product if it had a PIR. Ultimately, a dedicated motion detector wired in to an alarm panel or other annunciatior would probably work better than any of these options to alert you somebody's on the porch.

I'd like to see something more like one of Dahua's products with a PIR built in instead of a card reader with better firmware and mobile software.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the Ring Doorbell Pro. Is there a way to connect the device to BlueIris?
I contacted the Ring support folks - they say that it will not work with Blue Iris and there are no plans to allow it to work with BI.

They want to make customers purchase their 'cloud' service.

Evidently "Ring" is a piece of crap anyway according to the reviews.

Seems like there would be a (versatile, reliable) product to fit the doorbell camera niche, but I haven't found it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I contacted the Ring support folks - they say that it will not work with Blue Iris and there are no plans to allow it to work with BI.

They want to make customers purchase their 'cloud' service.

Evidently "Ring" is a piece of crap anyway according to the reviews.

Seems like there would be a (versatile, reliable) product to fit the doorbell camera niche, but I haven't found it.
The doorbird seems to have an rtsp stream available according to their API document. I would call them to confirm.

fooey

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like the Dahua villa plus a couple of monitors and using standard SIP app on mobile devices may still be cheaper than the Doorbird

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are some products, they just can't meet the affordability and ease of installation requirements for mass market

Last edited by a moderator:

DCee

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you link the Ring doorbell into BlueIris? Therefore bypassing Ring's own cloud storage and using BI instead. Still using the Ring app for bell and intercom though.
thx

Reviving a dead thread

I have ring

https://ring.com

Works like a champ

Here is video from the 720p version it also has audio and the two way talk feature
day time
https://ring.com/share/295763595
Night time
https://ring.com/share/300263021

Im waiting on the two 1080p version to be released and replacing the two out there

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you link the Ring doorbell into BlueIris? Therefore bypassing Ring's own cloud storage and using BI instead. Still using the Ring app for bell and intercom though.
thx
Doubtful. If they haven't patch the hearbleed ssl bug maybe...

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx
I don't use BI so I wouldn't know for sure but given it is made by a former apple engineer its doubtful. They also said they would be allowing for any time viewing on it back in the winter and well that hasn't happened either. i use it for whats its made for a door bell and don't depend on it otherwise. the motion is a bit wonky it will trigger well after someone rings the bell and then it will just stop and they can leave with it out it triggering again. they need to work on the motion a bit either its to sensitive or its not sensitive enough can't seem to get it just right

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't use BI so I wouldn't know for sure but given it is made by a former apple engineer its doubtful. They also said they would be allowing for any time viewing on it back in the winter and well that hasn't happened either. i use it for whats its made for a door bell and don't depend on it otherwise. the motion is a bit wonky it will trigger well after someone rings the bell and then it will just stop and they can leave with it out it triggering again. they need to work on the motion a bit either its to sensitive or its not sensitive enough can't seem to get it just right
I have one and when I originally looked at it I remember it was pretty clear that you can't save to your own storage. We have live view working on ours but we have it wired into to power, perhaps they don't allow it on battery?

Agree that the motion detection is hit and miss. Do get a lot of post event triggers (if that makes sense...) and false events (or maybe it's so late the event is over!). Most of the time the doorbell rings straight away which is it's core job...

Rob

lowpro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have one and when I originally looked at it I remember it was pretty clear that you can't save to your own storage. We have live view working on ours but we have it wired into to power, perhaps they don't allow it on battery?

Agree that the motion detection is hit and miss. Do get a lot of post event triggers (if that makes sense...) and false events (or maybe it's so late the event is over!). Most of the time the doorbell rings straight away which is it's core job...

Rob
On the Original Ring, the live view feature will NOT work on battery, it has to be hardwired. On the Ring Doorbell Pro, your only option is to hardwire anyways.

Are you running the Original Doorbell or the newer Pro model? I upgraded to the Pro model but ended up sending it back. Even Ring admitted, that the product was released way to early for their taste. Lots of bugs to figure out.

If you are running the Pro, consider giving Ring a call so that they could lower your MD sensitivity. For whatever reason they removed that functionality of being able to adjust the level of sensitivity. Supposedly they run them at the max sensitivity of 10.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the Original Ring, the live view feature will NOT work on battery, it has to be hardwired. On the Ring Doorbell Pro, your only option is to hardwire anyways.

Are you running the Original Doorbell or the newer Pro model? I upgraded to the Pro model but ended up sending it back. Even Ring admitted, that the product was released way to early for their taste. Lots of bugs to figure out.

If you are running the Pro, consider giving Ring a call so that they could lower your MD sensitivity. For whatever reason they removed that functionality of being able to adjust the level of sensitivity. Supposedly they run them at the max sensitivity of 10.
If there was a rock solid wired ethernet poe version of ring for $99 I'd buy it. Sadly this is unlikely to ever exist, too difficult for the mass market to install.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am looking for a Wifi doorbell intercom that can send push notification to my smartphone and let me talk to the visitor via smartphone. I know there is skybell, ring etc but they all lack door unlock feature. I found some on Aliexpress (http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?site=glo&g=y&SortType=price_asc&SearchText=wifi&page=2&CatId=3029&shipCountry=PK&needQuery=n) but i want to know if anyone used these and share their experience.
The Skybell FAQ has this:
Can I unlock my door?

At this time, SkyBell cannot unlock your door unless you have a smart lock and the smart lock is on the same platform as SkyBell, and the unlock commands exist.
So the answer is it depends.

Skybell does work with Kevo and further integration is forthcoming. http://blog.skybell.com/kevo-skybell-integration/

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just got a Ring Pro for free with a year of cloud service.
Has anyone gotten it to work on BI yet?

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Then I'm in less of a rush to install it. lol.
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum but have already received great camera recommendations for my backyard. Anyway I've been using a GBF PL960M WIFI IP Doorbell http://gbfelectronics.com/product/gbf-pl960m/ for about 8 months now and been very satisfied with it. I actually bought it off Amazon not from GBF website. From what I understand GBF is located in Canada but the company itself is Chinese.

When I purchased the PL960M the only other product in their line was the PL961QPM but they've added a whole slew of new products since then. Heck the PoE adapter wasn't even available at that time so I had to have an AC outlet ran in order to power it. The doorbell supports both WiFi, Ethernet, 2-way live video and audio monitoring, motion sensor, and can trigger a remote door lock or gate... it does not include cloud recording. It has a very robust build with an industrial look.

Tech support is great, software is ok and can probably be tweaked if you know what you are doing (I don't), the app itself I feel is a little sparse/clunky. I just started using Blue Iris which it supports so that's a much better setup along with the BI app. For doorbell alerts (someone pressing doorbell button) you get an alert on the GBF app to either accept (allows 2-way communication) or deny (don't want to talk). I don't know if the BI software/app could be configured to do this totally eliminating the GBF app... that's a little over my head.

I'm not the most qualified to judge the video but to me it seems plenty good for a doorbell camera. Your video standards on this forum are much higher than mine so please be your own judge.