Wifi Doorbell

Discussion in 'Home Automation' started by classna, May 3, 2015.

Share This Page

1. tangent

tangent Known around here

There are some products, they just can't meet the affordability and ease of installation requirements for mass market

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016
  2. galaksy2001

galaksy2001 n3wb

fooey likes this.
  3. DCee

DCee n3wb

Can you link the Ring doorbell into BlueIris? Therefore bypassing Ring's own cloud storage and using BI instead. Still using the Ring app for bell and intercom though.
    thx

Jimjao likes this.
  4. tangent

Doubtful. If they haven't patch the hearbleed ssl bug maybe...

5. code2

code2 Getting the hang of it

I don't use BI so I wouldn't know for sure but given it is made by a former apple engineer its doubtful. They also said they would be allowing for any time viewing on it back in the winter and well that hasn't happened either. i use it for whats its made for a door bell and don't depend on it otherwise. the motion is a bit wonky it will trigger well after someone rings the bell and then it will just stop and they can leave with it out it triggering again. they need to work on the motion a bit either its to sensitive or its not sensitive enough can't seem to get it just right

6. Bigboboz

Bigboboz n3wb

I have one and when I originally looked at it I remember it was pretty clear that you can't save to your own storage. We have live view working on ours but we have it wired into to power, perhaps they don't allow it on battery?

Agree that the motion detection is hit and miss. Do get a lot of post event triggers (if that makes sense...) and false events (or maybe it's so late the event is over!). Most of the time the doorbell rings straight away which is it's core job...

Rob

7. lowpro

lowpro Young grasshopper

On the Original Ring, the live view feature will NOT work on battery, it has to be hardwired. On the Ring Doorbell Pro, your only option is to hardwire anyways.

Are you running the Original Doorbell or the newer Pro model? I upgraded to the Pro model but ended up sending it back. Even Ring admitted, that the product was released way to early for their taste. Lots of bugs to figure out.

If you are running the Pro, consider giving Ring a call so that they could lower your MD sensitivity. For whatever reason they removed that functionality of being able to adjust the level of sensitivity. Supposedly they run them at the max sensitivity of 10.

8. tangent

If there was a rock solid wired ethernet poe version of ring for $99 I'd buy it. Sadly this is unlikely to ever exist, too difficult for the mass market to install.

9. pschmehl

pschmehl Young grasshopper

The Skybell FAQ has this:
    So the answer is it depends.

Skybell does work with Kevo and further integration is forthcoming. http://blog.skybell.com/kevo-skybell-integration/

10. Smitty Blackstone

Smitty Blackstone Young grasshopper

Just got a Ring Pro for free with a year of cloud service.
    Has anyone gotten it to work on BI yet?

11. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Wont work...there is no rtsp/onvif stream...

Rodney McKay likes this.
  12. Smitty Blackstone

Smitty Blackstone Young grasshopper

Then I'm in less of a rush to install it. lol.
    Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

13. mike2874

mike2874 Young grasshopper

I'm new to this forum but have already received great camera recommendations for my backyard. Anyway I've been using a GBF PL960M WIFI IP Doorbell http://gbfelectronics.com/product/gbf-pl960m/ for about 8 months now and been very satisfied with it. I actually bought it off Amazon not from GBF website. From what I understand GBF is located in Canada but the company itself is Chinese.

When I purchased the PL960M the only other product in their line was the PL961QPM but they've added a whole slew of new products since then. Heck the PoE adapter wasn't even available at that time so I had to have an AC outlet ran in order to power it. The doorbell supports both WiFi, Ethernet, 2-way live video and audio monitoring, motion sensor, and can trigger a remote door lock or gate... it does not include cloud recording. It has a very robust build with an industrial look.

Tech support is great, software is ok and can probably be tweaked if you know what you are doing (I don't), the app itself I feel is a little sparse/clunky. I just started using Blue Iris which it supports so that's a much better setup along with the BI app. For doorbell alerts (someone pressing doorbell button) you get an alert on the GBF app to either accept (allows 2-way communication) or deny (don't want to talk). I don't know if the BI software/app could be configured to do this totally eliminating the GBF app... that's a little over my head.

I'm not the most qualified to judge the video but to me it seems plenty good for a doorbell camera. Your video standards on this forum are much higher than mine so please be your own judge.

itservice and fenderman like this.
  14. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

15. mike2874

Thanks just trying to pay back the great help I've received on the forum. If someone picks one up I'd definitely be interested in their opinion of this unit.

16. mike2874

Sorry she must have gotten a bad one then it's always been reliable for me going on 9 months now. The doorbell alert combined with the motion sensor I always know someone is at my front door. Granted I don't do the 2-way communication that much but when I have it's worked. She needs to contact Ray at GFB... very knowledgeable and he will take care of you.

17. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

I believe @Hilda121was referring to a garbage aliexpress camera linked to by classna, not your GFB doorbell...
    Upon further inspection, it appears hilda is a spammer and had been removed from the forum.

18. bdorring

bdorring Young grasshopper

Looks interesting. I am after a doorbell with a traditional 'door bell ringer'. So at least when are home you get the traditional 'dong' chime when someone presses the doorbell. Any idea if you can attach old style bell to the GBF ?

19. code2

code2 Getting the hang of it

It connects right up to the existing wires

20. Michael Graves

Michael Graves n3wb

I was one of the earliest backers of Doorboot, which was later rebranded Ring. They've been through several product generations. Their first was essentially worthless. I tried to work with them to remedy the issues, but they were not interested. In fact, they were structurally unable to deal with the deluge of complaints from early adopters.

Even before the product shipped I suggested that they implement SIP as a means of integrating with the rest of the world. They stayed with a closed loop strategy, leveraging a fragile cloud service and abysmal smart phone app.

I documented my experience here: Guides & How-To’s

mat200 likes this.
  21. itservice

itservice Young grasshopper

Thanks for the great info.

22. Mike

Mike Staff Member

fenderman likes this.
  23. randytsuch

randytsuch Pulling my weight

That's an interesting idea. I would need to figure out how to get my zwave system talk to my BI PC, or could use arduino's interfaced to the BI PC to pass information, but that might me more work.
    Guess it would be nice to get notifications based on events like ringing the door bell, alarm going off, or opening the garage door.

My wife likes the "ring" idea, so I may try one of those gbf models. It seems like they should be coming out with doorbell cams that can interface with BI, but I guess we are a limited market, compared to people who just want an iphone app that's idiot proof.

Randy

24. mike2874

Just for the record as I stated above the GBF doorbell does work with BI and does a great job. In fact one of GBF's techs actually suggested using BI with their doorbell if I wanted more features.

25. Michael Graves

Michael Graves n3wb

IMHO, WiFi is not suitable for a fixed installation involving streaming media. Around here I pull Ethernet to a location if it's possible to connect a device that way. WiFi is only for mobile devices.

After my Doorbot/Ring debacle I installed an Algo Solutions SIP doorphone. No video, but it works perfectly every time. No latency. No dependence upon someone's cloud service or my internet connection. It dovetails with our computers, home & mobile phones. I can see the person at the gate on one of our existing cameras, even as they talk to me.

adamrx7 and fenderman like this.
  26. randytsuch

randytsuch Pulling my weight

Yes I know, and I appreciate it.
    Was trying to say there should be more than one company making these things.

fenderman and mike2874 like this.
  27. cornholio

cornholio Young grasshopper

I hear good things about DoorBird. It apparently has an API/SDK and supports onvif. Works with PoE if available or you have to work (more than I was willing) to make it work with existing bell wiring. Not too much harder than Ring. Integrates with some smartlocks too. Costs a bomb though ($378) and has very large profile. I hear their app has terrible UX.

28. Sammy2

Sammy2 Young grasshopper

In a two story home such as mine, getting ethernet to my existing doorbell area is problematic at least. I looked at the GBF on amazon a while ago but got the ring to get my wife off my back about it. "It is all I want," she says; further saying, "You are making a big project out of this." Of course I am. that's what I do. But I want better than ring and don't really want to pony up an annual fee to them. I tried the Yale Look Viewer. Still a closed system using WiFi but they promise z-wave later on. That didn't connect fast enough so I sent it back. The ring seems to be much faster than the Look thus far but I will continue to look for a better solution that doesn't cost me money repeatedly and allows me to control it outside a walled garden. For those of you using GBF, how's it working out for you? BTW, I did look into the DoorBird too but it seemed it was a little early on for day to day use so my wife would reject it immediately. I looked at the z-wave solution above and that left me with more questions, which I asked on that old thread.

29. Sammy2

Sammy2 Young grasshopper

Is anyone using the GBF Doorbell?

30. fooey

fooey n3wb

I bought a Doorbird but I've not installed it yet (prob wont for another ~2 months)..Can let you know how it goes after I had a chance to get it all setup.

Sammy2 likes this.