WiFi Signal Path Identification

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a home webcam setup (four cameras) which includes a Netgear R7000P Router and also a Netgear EX6200V2 Range Extender used to reach out to a shop building about 150 feet from the house. Some times I get intermittent dropouts from the shop webcam and I suspect that it is connecting with the router (weak signal) and not the extender (stronger signal). I have two questions:

1. Is there a network application available that I can use to see the signal path of the shop cam through the various nodes and eventually getting to the router (the end point).

2. Is there a method to direct the routing of the shop cam signal path, using IP or MAC addressing, so that it connects from the webcam to Extender to Router and not from webcam to router?

My home setup is a Windows PC, router, three extenders, and Blue Iris software, and four IP cameras (three are wireless and one is ethernet).

Duane

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So while this is not the answer to the question you asked, I think it will help you end up with a reliable connection for your cams. Most folks here will tell you to avoid wifi for ip cams at all costs. Run a wire or if you cannot, hire someone to run it for you. That will be the best method. Next best would be Powerline adapters (may work depending on distance) or a wireless point to point bridge. UBNT makes some nice inexpensive wireless bridges.

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can the extender offer a different SSID?
Thanks alastair for the reply. I have been looking into that. I speculate that if I can setup my extender with a different SSID than the router, then see if I can get the shop cam access point device to respond only to the new SSID, that should work, right?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Netgear EX6200V2 Range Extender creates a different SID by default. make sure you are using the correct SIID in the camera. For example if your home sid is HMNET the new sid id HMNET_2GEXT the password should be the same.

Also get a wifi app for your cell phone and look at the wifi signals, signal strength, and names.. I use WIFI Analyzer

Power line adapters some times do not work into different building because the separate building has a seperate breaker box.

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
SoutherYankee, thanks. I changed the EX6200V2 SSID to the same as the home router during the initial setup based on other advice, but I can change it back to a different SSID I am sure. Not so sure of how the remote shop cam/access point will respond, hopefully I can change it also (these are all netgear devices).

WiFi apps, yes I have WIFI Analyzer also, as well as NetSpot, but they do not show connections to other devices, that is why I am looking for a more extensive wifi analyzer to show connections/paths or maps.I'm trying to figure out if Netgear Genie, android of PC based, can do that job.

Yes, my shop is on another circuit breaker so power line adapter is not a good option. Also, I do not want to dig a trench to bury a conduit for an ethernet cable so that is why I keep looking for a wifi solution. I do understand that wifi does require much more bandwidth resources on the network. I finally have enough signal strength to reach the shop with the EX6200 Extender but just need to make sure it connects to the right signal emanating from the house.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In regards to the Powerline devices, it is not that they are on another "breaker" or even sub panel. It is that they need to be on the same 220 leg, although sometimes they work anyway. Distance will be a factor.

But if the shop is on a sub panel (same transformer), it might work.

Q's Amazon link would indeed be the best route.

If you insist on knowing what the camera is connecting to via wifi, examine the client log on your main router.