will a Dahua camera trigger the led if It senses motion

Reaction score
I am starting my home automation/ security projects, I have landscape lighting around most of the house so I do not need the led on the camera to stay on, I have it narrowed down to the new starlight+
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED, do the led's act like motion lights? Or is it possible to for these lights to send a signal out or at least a text when they sense motion? I plan to use blue iris.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, LED acts like motion light. It's not that bright but its good enough for like a doorway.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have it narrowed down to the new starlight+
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED
That model has a LED that can be toggled on through settings, but not automatically like motion lights.

For that feature, check out their "Active Deterrence" models. Neither of the Active Deterrence models are Starlight+, but the 2MP is Starlight:

Here's are two reviews of the 2MP Active Deterrence model:
Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
Short-review IPC-HDW5241H-AS-PV Active Deterrence Eyeball AI Cam

I'm not sure if you've had a chance to see the Cliff Notes document in the Wiki (blue bar towards top of the page), the forum has a very awesome vendor that sells OEM versions of Dahua hardware. His name is Andy and his forum name is @EMPIRETECANDY. If you notice a difference in the model numbers in the two reviews above (HDW5241H vs T5241H), ... the HDW is the Dahua-branded version of the camera (usually more expensive) whereas the T5241H is the OEM version of the camera (same hardware/firmware, just no Dahua logo on them, usually less expensive) that Andy sells.

Just about all of Dahua's cameras can send out alerts (typically emails, but can also push alerts to a Dahua app) when they sense motion. If you're planning on using Blue Iris, you'll probably want to use Blue Iris' motion detection (which can also do things like send out alerts when it detects motion on a camera) instead of the camera's motion detect ... most folks find Blue Iris' quicker, easier, and there are more options in BI if needed.

If you add a camera to Blue Iris, you still have the ability to use all of the camera's built-in features. I mention that because if you get an Active Deterrence model and want the LED to flip on at night when motion is detected, you'd set that up directly on the camera (through the camera's web interface). You're still going to want to get alerts when that happens and I'd recommend you do that piece in Blue Iris. So that's an example of a camera setup where some of the logic is running on the camera itself and some of it is running in Blue Iris.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks aristobrat, I thought these were the next generation of active deterrence models, with people counting, I guess ill keep looking

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
To be honest that sucks. The LED's should toggle on when it detects motion. The active deterrence model has a crappy mount mechanism

That model has a LED that can be toggled on through settings, but not automatically like motion lights.

For that feature, check out their "Active Deterrence" models. Neither of the Active Deterrence models are Starlight+, but the 2MP is Starlight:

Here's are two reviews of the 2MP Active Deterrence model:
Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
Short-review IPC-HDW5241H-AS-PV Active Deterrence Eyeball AI Cam

I'm not sure if you've had a chance to see the Cliff Notes document in the Wiki (blue bar towards top of the page), the forum has a very awesome vendor that sells OEM versions of Dahua hardware. His name is Andy and his forum name is @EMPIRETECANDY. If you notice a difference in the model numbers in the two reviews above (HDW5241H vs T5241H), ... the HDW is the Dahua-branded version of the camera (usually more expensive) whereas the T5241H is the OEM version of the camera (same hardware/firmware, just no Dahua logo on them, usually less expensive) that Andy sells.

Just about all of Dahua's cameras can send out alerts (typically emails, but can also push alerts to a Dahua app) when they sense motion. If you're planning on using Blue Iris, you'll probably want to use Blue Iris' motion detection (which can also do things like send out alerts when it detects motion on a camera) instead of the camera's motion detect ... most folks find Blue Iris' quicker, easier, and there are more options in BI if needed.

If you add a camera to Blue Iris, you still have the ability to use all of the camera's built-in features. I mention that because if you get an Active Deterrence model and want the LED to flip on at night when motion is detected, you'd set that up directly on the camera (through the camera's web interface). You're still going to want to get alerts when that happens and I'd recommend you do that piece in Blue Iris. So that's an example of a camera setup where some of the logic is running on the camera itself and some of it is running in Blue Iris.