Will this Desktop Computer work for BI?

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've got an old computer kicking around that I've been wanting to use as a media server, but hasn't happened yet.

I'm thinking I want to install BlueIris on the computer, but I am not sure if it will work. I don't want to put any money into it if I can avoid it. I may pickup a small SSD but currently cannot afford even that.

The computer has the following spec's:
-Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Motherboard
-Intel Core 2 Duo CUP E4400 @ 2.00 GHz
-8GB of DDR2 ram
-a 550GB hard drive that windows is installed on.
-Windows Vista, which I actually quite like.

I currently only have One IP camera I would be using it with, but may add more to it after I learn how to use it.

I may also throw together a better computer for this in the future if this won't work. I'm in no rush to get the IP camera going, as I currently have an old system going right now that does what I need. If this computer doesn't work, It'll be back to being a media PC.

Thank you for any input in advance everyone. I look forward to the feedback.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The E4400 is a 11 year old cpu with dual core. It would work for one camera with limited functionality, just to play around with. I would recommend installing an SSD (120 GB) and doing a clean install of windows 10 using the Microsoft media creation tool. Using your 550 GB drive as the video storage.

This would be a very short term solution.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm trying out BI on an older computer and based on what I see I'd give it a qualified maybe. I'm running an E5800 at 3.2 mHz, 4GB memory, and win 10. With one camera the CPU is running at 55% to 60%. With 2 cameras it's sluggish. With 3 camera it's unusable. I'm running 4096 kbps and h.265. You can lower the CPU utilization some by using h.264 and a lower bit rate. I'm not seeing any indication that the 4GB memory size is affecting performance.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The E4400 is a 11 year old cpu with dual core. It would work for one camera with limited functionality, just to play around with. I would recommend installing an SSD (120 GB) and doing a clean install of windows 10 using the Microsoft media creation tool. Using your 550 GB drive as the video storage.

This would be a very short term solution.
Thanks SouthernYankee. I'll probably pickup a SSD when I can and grab another drive for storage, keeping the current drive with vista to return this to a Media Server when I can. I'm trying to find a rack mount case used with hardware, but locally they are hard to find, as they sell fast.

I'm trying out BI on an older computer and based on what I see I'd give it a qualified maybe. I'm running an E5800 at 3.2 mHz, 4GB memory, and win 10. With one camera the CPU is running at 55% to 60%. With 2 cameras it's sluggish. With 3 camera it's unusable. I'm running 4096 kbps and h.265. You can lower the CPU utilization some by using h.264 and a lower bit rate. I'm not seeing any indication that the 4GB memory size is affecting performance.
I kind of figured it would be slow. I Guess I'll just use it for the one camera that I have to learn how to use BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No. It should be in the trash. Save
Thanks SouthernYankee. I'll probably pickup a SSD when I can and grab another drive for storage, keeping the current drive with vista to return this to a Media Server when I can. I'm trying to find a rack mount case used with hardware, but locally they are hard to find, as they sell fast.

I kind of figured it would be slow. I Guess I'll just use it for the one camera that I have to learn how to use BI.
Check the power consumption. Often times running these old machines costs more than buying a more modern system for 100 bux.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No. It should be in the trash. Save

Check the power consumption. Often times running these old machines costs more than buying a more modern system for 100 bux.
I don't pay for power currently, but I will take this into consideration when I move... Or if I run into issues with my breakers tripping...

I'm also going to be inheriting some older desktops that have analog camera cards. I'm gonna see what is in them before I do anything. They guy I'm getting them from has to format the drives first, as they still may have sensitive information on them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't pay for power currently, but I will take this into consideration when I move... Or if I run into issues with my breakers tripping...

I'm also going to be inheriting some older desktops that have analog camera cards. I'm gonna see what is in them before I do anything. They guy I'm getting them from has to format the drives first, as they still may have sensitive information on them.
those pcs will be worthless junk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk