Win Drive Clone Utility - Larger drive to smaller drive

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a software package (pref free) to clone a disk drive?

I have a 300 Gb drive in one of our POS machines that is starting to fail. It is partitioned into 2 drives 150/150Gb but drive C: only uses 10Gb between OS/Software and D: is only a restore backup using 1Gb.

I'd like to go to a 120SSD since I believe it will run better. Its a POS so it only runs two programs really (POS software and Credit Card Processing software) as well as a version of Windows Embeded 2009 (which is also part of the slow down problem - windows....

At any rate all the clone software I see (especially free) does not allow you to go from a larger drive to a smaller drive. Does anyone have FIRST HAND experience (I know how to Google, but I'm looking for first hand experience since this is a critical piece of hardware) with any cloning software that will accomplish this task?

Thanks,

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@zero-degrees Not free, but I have used apricorn many times without issue. Amazon.com: Apricorn SATA Wire Notebook Hard Drive Upgrade Kit with USB 3.0 Connection ASW-USB3-25 (Grey): Electronics
Note the software will require that you use the included transfer cable..it detects its presence.
Interesting and inexpensive as well as two day prime, guess I'll need to dig out an old USB CD Drive though as I don't see the software as downloadable anywhere..... Thanks Fender!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting and inexpensive as well as two day prime, guess I'll need to dig out an old USB CD Drive though as I don't see the software as downloadable anywhere..... Thanks Fender!
The software is downloadable here
EZ Gig IV Cloning Software with Data Select for Windows
This is an iso verson for usb/cd or you can run within windows(if you wish you can also create bootable media from within the windows version)...both methods work well.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've also used Macrium Reflect free version a few times and been very happy with the results.
Except the one time when I found it does not support EXT4 resizing.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use Clonezilla. It's never failed me and it's free. Unfortunately -- the last time I used it -- it did not support downsizing.