Windows 10, Blue Iris 4 and 0xC00007b and the case of the missing .DLL's

oosickness

n3wb
Reaction score
So i started my Saturday thinking i would upgrade my plex media server / Blue Iris server from windows 8 to windows 10.
It Installed and everything looks like it was running fine, my Plex server was running like nothing ever happened.
I go to fire up Blue iris 4 to see if that went smooth as well and i was greeted by an error saying there is missing wmvcore.dll.
So i do my searching on google and some say to get the windows 10 media pack
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231

So i do that and still jack diddly.
Then i go to my second computer and grab the missing .DLL file and add it to the windows system32 file
Go to fire up blue iris 4.

Now i am greeted by an error saying i have a missing wmasf.dll.
So i grab that from my good running windows 10 computer and add that to the system32 folder.

Go to fire up Blue Iris 4.
now i am greeted with this, an 0xC00007b error.
Untitle1d.png

So now I'm really stumped.

Back to google, were i find all kinds of worthless garbage.

I read i should use dependency walker to find what is going on with the executable.
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

dependency walker log file hereView attachment BlueIris.txt

so now i can see what dlls are loading and which are not.

From my arm chair ninja knowledge it looks like its loading and then unloading wmasf.dll and then crashing.

To be honest this is way above my knowledge level and have spent to many hours trying to fix this.

I even went back and did a fresh install of windows 10 screwing my whole plex server up and just making a freaking mess of my weekend.

So this is a plea for help, i'm not sure where to ask, i'm pretty sure Microsoft will tell me to go fuck my self....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@oosickness What exact version of blue iris 4 are you installing? Download the latest full installer from the website.
Also, instead of launching from the desktop launch from the program files blueiris.exe..
If that doesnt work right click on the shortcut and the exe and try launching as administrator.

oosickness

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman just emailed support. Thanks to the thread link, i've done everything in that thread other than enable Desktop experience feature. From the look of a quick google i cant enable that on windows 10.

Oh well.. lets hope support can help me.

Last edited by a moderator:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Are there others who are running BIV4 on W10 w/o issue? I just purchased a new i7 PC that comes with 10, and would prefer not to have the headache of attempting a w7 downgrade unless it's absolutely necessary.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are there others who are running BIV4 on W10 w/o issue? I just purchased a new i7 PC that comes with 10, and would prefer not to have the headache of attempting a w7 downgrade unless it's absolutely necessary.
It will run fine on windows 10.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman just emailed support. Thanks to the thread link, i've done everything in that thread other than enable Desktop experience feature. From the look of a quick google i cant enable that on windows 10.

Oh well.. lets hope support can help me.
"Desktop experience" is disabled on your Windows 10? This can't possibly be default... Anyway I would not be surprised if it is required for some video processing feature BI uses. If you are worried about the overhead and the effect on your system, it is negligible compared to any actual workload.

Edit: I may have misread. I don't think "Desktop experience" is a toggleable thing on non-server Windows versions.

Last edited by a moderator:

chatzkel

n3wb
Reaction score
So i started my Saturday thinking i would upgrade my plex media server / Blue Iris server from windows 8 to windows 10.
It Installed and everything looks like it was running fine, my Plex server was running like nothing ever happened.
I go to fire up Blue iris 4 to see if that went smooth as well and i was greeted by an error saying there is missing wmvcore.dll.
So i do my searching on google and some say to get the windows 10 media pack
Download Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10 from Official Microsoft Download Center

So i do that and still jack diddly.
Then i go to my second computer and grab the missing .DLL file and add it to the windows system32 file
Go to fire up blue iris 4.

Now i am greeted by an error saying i have a missing wmasf.dll.
So i grab that from my good running windows 10 computer and add that to the system32 folder.

Go to fire up Blue Iris 4.
now i am greeted with this, an 0xC00007b error.
View attachment 7914

So now I'm really stumped.

Back to google, were i find all kinds of worthless garbage.

I read i should use dependency walker to find what is going on with the executable.
Dependency Walker (depends.exe) Home Page

dependency walker log file hereView attachment 7915

so now i can see what dlls are loading and which are not.

From my arm chair ninja knowledge it looks like its loading and then unloading wmasf.dll and then crashing.

To be honest this is way above my knowledge level and have spent to many hours trying to fix this.

I even went back and did a fresh install of windows 10 screwing my whole plex server up and just making a freaking mess of my weekend.

So this is a plea for help, i'm not sure where to ask, i'm pretty sure Microsoft will tell me to go fuck my self....
i literally am going thru the same thing (and this was supposed to be the alternative to breaking my head with zoneminder)

oosickness

n3wb
Reaction score
i literally am going thru the same thing (and this was supposed to be the alternative to breaking my head with zoneminder)
So in the end i just bailed on windows 10 and installed windows server 2012 r2. Its been gravy ever since!

oosickness

n3wb
Reaction score
That is funny that the 2013 version would be needed.
Right!! That's crazy that the latest versions cant support previous functions, well its good to know if i decide to get rid of windows server!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well a long time ago BI switched to Visual Studio 2017 for its own build process which means only the 2017 DLLs would be needed (and the BI installer should take care of those). So suddenly requiring the DLLs from 2013 is strange.

Reaction score
Just wanted to add to this that on a fresh W10 install I had this same issue, downloading those 2013 packages for visual studio fixed it right up.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I too had this yesterday on a fresh Win10 Pro 1809 install with just the latest updates installed and activated. Even though I had previously read this thread I downloaded Process Monitor to see what BI was doing, found it was looking for a DLL which is part of VC runtime so installed both the x86 and x64 versions.

Problem solved.

JonW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Same here. Just had to do it with a system running Server 2012 R2 (it's a VM). Didn't have any issues until the last update. installing the C++ Redistributable Packages for VB 2013 fixed the issue.

Artes426

n3wb
Reaction score
I also had the 0xC000007b after installation on an Ebay HP Elitedesk with a fresh copy of Windows Professional 10. Thanks to this thread, installing vcredist_x64.exe solved the issue.