Wired IP Camera For Front Door Recommendations?

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 6 Dahua T5442T-ZE cameras monitoring my home. They work well. I have not installed a front door camera however. I have ethernet cabling that would allow me to place a camera near the top of the door. Or I could install a wireless video doorbell, but I think I'd prefer a wired camera. What suggestions do you have? Thanks.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I use the older 2MP 3.6 version of the "boobie cam" similar to the later version reviewed here:

An advantage of it is that you get two cams from one cable run. I use one to look out to get people at the door and the other looks down to watch packages. Overall, it's an OK little cam. Night performance is reasonable, nothing to write home about. The older Hikvision Darkfighter that I had there previously was much better as far as that goes but stood out more and didn't give the two views.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Top of the door is generally too high.
One of these at 5-6ft next to the door works well.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
fwiw - I like a Dahua mini-dome wedge or double mini-dome model at face level by the front door. Also want a 2nd camera to get a view so that the package drop area is covered. ( thus the double mini-dome model .. aka "boobie cam" can be useful as it has 2 lenses )

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I was reading a thread about the boobie cam. It mentioned problems with the web browser plugin breaking the other plugins for Dahua cameras. Is this still an issue? I don't want to hose my access to my current cameras.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Your T5442T-ZE cams shouldn't be affected. They don't need the plug-in. Given the age of that new one it really shouldn't either but I guess it is as it is.

If you had older cams then it might. Nothing new though. If you do, then you're probably already used to having to go back and forth between browsers/versions.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I was reading a thread about the boobie cam. It mentioned problems with the web browser plugin breaking the other plugins for Dahua cameras. Is this still an issue? I don't want to hose my access to my current cameras.
This can happen with any new model. It's not specific to this mini wedge.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can the wedge camera give a good facial view and package view with the single lens? Or is the boobie camera the best option? Also, do both options work equally well in Blue Iris? Is Blue Iris boobie cam compliant?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I have both. Either work fine in BI. Overall performance as far as image quality, IR, etc., is about the same between the two.

Whether the wedge works to show packages too will depend on where/how it's installed and where packages are left. Possibly so. If installed right next to the door facing straight out (e.g., like a doorbell cam), not sure that it would see a small package right up against the door directly below it well. Never had mine installed there to test that. I tend to think not. The 3.6 in the "boobie cam" installed that same way looking straight out definitely does not.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I feel that 95% of the action at my house is at the front door. It is for that reason i feel that one camera is not enough. It is hard to beat a good dedicated doorbell camera (ring alert, audio, viewing angle and FOV). I am on my third :). They still need some improving, mainly in false positive and lost detections and AI features.

To supplement the doorbell camera, i have two approach cameras, one for the driveway and one for the edge of the porch and front of the cars. I am going to replace my door mounted (upper left corner) HIkvision with a new Dahua that faces AT the door from 10 ft away up under the overhang, not away from the door, so i can get every angle the UPS, FedEx, Amazon people hide packages in and around my door area and see another angle and behind the door visitors. I will probably use the new 5442 turret model in a 3.6mm. If you do mount one at the door, you will want the 2.4mm for the wide field of view, but even that will likely not be wide enough at <4 ft. Modern doorbell cameras are sporting like 140 deg FOV, and still miss the package sitting against the door itself.

There are a lot of different front door configurations so YMMV. For me, i have 4 cameras covering anyone approaching the front of my house.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
To supplement the doorbell camera, i have two approach cameras, one for the driveway and one for the edge of the porch and front of the cars...
Basically same. My house sits at an angle to the street so the "Boobie cam" doesn't see much of the walk up to it. It gets them at the door and packages. Another faces down the walk to see them approach and looks at the door from that angle. And a PTZ farther out watches the drive/cars to catch them earlier and can swing to watch down the walk and to watch the door based on triggers from others.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This can happen with the newest cameras as well. I have the newest 4K/X camera and the full color dual lens (not the boobie cam) camera and I have to reinstall the plugin each time.

It doesn't permanently lose your access to the cameras, you just have to re-run the plugin.

I dealt with that just today. The last camera I was in the camera GUI was the full color dual lens, so when I went to the 4K/X, I had to rerun the plugin. Later in the day I went back to the dual lens and had to rerun the plugin.

A slight hassle, but it doesn't hose your access. Just a minor inconvenience.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
This can happen with the newest cameras as well. I have the newest 4K/X camera and the full color dual lens (not the boobie cam) camera and I have to reinstall the plugin each time.
Surprised that one requires it.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have installed a 5442 cam in a bird house, and installed it on the porch column, at eye level.

Reaction score
The Dahua VTO villa intercom should be considered as an option. 720P (not 4k) but still good enough for 5' distance as it's purpose is just that...to see faces within that 5'. What I like about it is that is has a fisheye. And specific bells & whistles that works great in my home automation setup.
I did originally have a boobie camera for front door facial & viewing packages which worked out fantastic as well. Now, I have to put the boobie camera above my 2 table saws as if I am some fancy wood working instructor on YouTube.