Wireless camera's for horse barn

normohl

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking to help my work friend install a wireless 8 camera system with capabilities up to 16 camera's in her horse barn. She has power everywhere she wants camera's in the barn, and plans on running Ethernet to run a router in bridge mode to get her wifi for them to connect to. She would like the camera's to record on a 3 day cycle and delete automatically anything older than 3 days, also she would like the base station to be in her house for ease of access. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking to help my work friend install a wireless 8 camera system with capabilities up to 16 camera's in her horse barn. She has power everywhere she wants camera's in the barn, and plans on running Ethernet to run a router in bridge mode to get her wifi for them to connect to. She would like the camera's to record on a 3 day cycle and delete automatically anything older than 3 days, also she would like the base station to be in her house for ease of access. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!!
return the wifi cameras...
research good ip cameras and wire them up with ethernet.

normohl

n3wb
Reaction score
it's all up in the air right now and nothing is purchased yet. Sorry I made it sound like she already had it.

So with an ip system, ethernet cords are ran from each camera to the base. She wants to put the base inside of her house which is a good 150 feet away from the barn. Would she have to run 8 ethernet cords to the base inside? Sorry I know little about the subject and its tricky to google because of the weird configuration.

Last edited:

normohl

n3wb
Reaction score
Do the camera's wire to a router so I only have to run one ethernet cord to the house for the receiver, or does each camera have to run parallel to the receiver?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do the camera's wire to a router so I only have to run one ethernet cord to the house for the receiver, or does each camera have to run parallel to the receiver?
They are network cameras..you dont need a receiver...you simply need a poe switch at the barn, then run a single ethernet cable to each camera, it will power the camera and stream the data...then one single cable from the switch back to the house....
Then you need to decide how you will record, NVR or pc based VMS.

normohl

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome, exactly the answer I was looking for, now I have key words to google. Thank you very much Sir!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome, exactly the answer I was looking for, now I have key words to google. Thank you very much Sir!
There are many threads that discuss cameras here...use google will result in finding more garbage. What is she trying to accomplish with the cameras?

normohl

n3wb
Reaction score
She is one of those horse ladies... and her only explanation was that she wants to keep track of her horses from inside of her house.. ha. It gets cold in ohio.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use outdoor-rated (UV-resistant, HDPE jacket to help resist water intrusion), CAT-5e or 6, even if in conduit, as all underground conduits get flooded eventually.

If your geographic area has frequent and/or violent lightning storms, please consider STP (shielded) version of the above cable, and properly terminate and ground the Ethernet cable system; consider ESD protection at entry to house and entry to barn.

Ubiquiti_ESD_Protection.jpg

If your budget allows and if your area is southeast U.S. (MS, GA, FL, AL, TN) then I know what the lightning is like and I highly suggest running a wireless layer 2 bridge between the two buildings using 2 Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5 radios. You would need good LOS (Line Of Sight) between the mounting points of the 2 prospective radio locations, 1 at house and other at barn. Ubiquiti requires the use of STP in outdoor sections of cable as a condition of their warranty.

More help on the Layer 2 Transparent Bridge setup >> here <<==.

Here's one I installed a few months ago between a customer's house and barn:

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that by you taking on this project, you now become the defacto tech support from now on. ;)

normohl

n3wb
Reaction score
^^ I have taken on many-a-projects where that has been the case haha. That's why I want something reliable, the wifi camera's would be a pain and she already mentioned having problems with wifi signals and outages.

normohl

n3wb
Reaction score
Alright after a little research I have found that this system is probably going to be my best bet. Yeah its on the low end but but she doesn't want to spend a whole lot of money but wants the ability to scale the system up to 16 camera's in the future. If I am missing something or you think there is a better option out there for a comparable price than I would really appreciate the input! Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright after a little research I have found that this system is probably going to be my best bet. Yeah its on the low end but but she doesn't want to spend a whole lot of money but wants the ability to scale the system up to 16 camera's in the future. If I am missing something or you think there is a better option out there for a comparable price than I would really appreciate the input! Thanks!
its not going to be a good bet at all...reolink is a scamming lying company...youll learn the hard way...for that kind of money there are much better options....discussed over and over on this forum. Most of those amazon reviews are fake Fakespot | Home Business Video Security Camera System Wired W 8 Bullet Hd Fake Review Analysis

normohl

n3wb
Reaction score
Just when I thought I figured something out.... Can you point me in the right direction at least? A brand, or something like that? Sorry but with the overflow of info its hard to muddle through, even a starter brand is hard to pinpoint in the price range she wants.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Normohl,

I recommend checking out the threads @Saltster started here and seeing his experience with Reolink before you complete that Reolink purchase.

normohl

n3wb
Reaction score
Gotcha, well that was a dead end. Any brands that are comparable in price that have 16 channels, come with eight cameras and is a dvr system?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Gotcha, well that was a dead end. Any brands that are comparable in price that have 16 channels, come with eight cameras and is a dvr system?
Hi Normohl,

There were some good deals around BF-cyberweek, and even thought 12/30/217 for various rebranded Dahua and Hikvision products.

For 16 port NVR - the only deal I know of in the USA for a kit is the Q-see ( Dahua Rebrand ) from Costco for $1699 for 12x 4K cameras + 16 port NVR.
( you could get that then sell the cameras you do not need to bring the price down )

I don't recall seeing as many 16 port NVR kit deals, saw a lot more 8 port kit deals during BF-Cyberweek.

Probably worth seeing what Andy may be able to put together for you.

If you do not need low light cameras he may have some more affordable ones for you.

Last edited: