Wireless woes... Looking for constructive discussion.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the typical WiFi camera issues with I get the "no signal" message quite often.

I've searched and searched and really spent a good deal of time digging around. I know it's easy for the people with wired setups to say "eh, WiFi sucks, it'll never work, go wired" and I get it, going wired will probably work alot better and with a whole lot less work but deep down I REFUSE to admit that WiFi cameras as a whole will never work. There are a ton of brands selling an array of WiFi models and there is no way all of them fail to work. If WiFi was that bad I'm sure all of those companies wouldn't even offer WiFi cameras as an option. I see a bunch of people who say they don't have issues at all.

It all comes down to knowledge, some people really know how to get the most efficiency out of their WiFi setup and really understand the inner workings. This WiFi issue is so prevalent and widespread it would serve the community well to have a sticky thread. I could create something with a bullet list of common items to checks, parameters to change etc....

I am running just 1 Amcrest camera with Blue Iris (trial version):

It looks like I am limited to ONLY 2.4 ghz, I saw some threads about moving to 5 ghz and/or creating an entirely new WiFi SSID to kind of partition the camera traffic. In theory, if I could tag the Amcrest network traffic to ensure a higher priority, would that help? Just looking for some ideas, advice and any kind of assistance. PLEASE don't just jump in and say WiFi sucks and go wired, I'm really trying to make these things work.
Welcome @joedav1228

Hope you found this useful.

Executive summary:
Often the easiest way to make a reliable security camera network is wired not wifi.