Wondering if this PC will be good enough for Blue Iris.

twisted copper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been reading the threads on which pc to get for Blue Iris and an Optiplex 9020 was one that was suggested.

So I was about to pull the trigger on a used 9020 small form factor that has an I5-5350 cpu and noticed that on another thread the recommendation is no less than I5-6400.

I'm planning on running 2 cameras and maybe a third down the road. Will this machine be good enough?

SirVenom

n3wb
Reaction score
Optiplex 9020 are normally 4th gen CPUs, like 4XXX. There is no I5 5350 as far as I know in the 9020 series. There is a I5 5350u which is normally used in low power devices like laptops and NUC's (not recommendeed for BI). Can you double check the specs for this PC? Link maybe?

twisted copper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Optiplex 9020 are normally 4th gen CPUs, like 4XXX. There is no I5 5350 as far as I know in the 9020 series. There is a I5 5350u which is normally used in low power devices like laptops and NUC's (not recommendeed for BI). Can you double check the specs for this PC? Link maybe?

The computer is listed on Craigslist and they seller list it as 5350. It is a small form factor so it might in fact 5350u.

SirVenom

n3wb
Reaction score
There is sff and ussf/mff.

You want sff. Micro form factors are just headless laptops. Underpowered.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Acer AXC 780 ur16? It comes with an i7 7700.
Personally I'm not a big fan of acer.. of course that is due to experiences with that brand a long time ago, so maybe they've gotten better.

I like ASUS, HP, Dell better for desktops - though I don't like HP nor Dell for laptops.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the wiki on choosing BI hardware at top of page.
Stick with: Dell Optiplex, HP Prodesk or Elitedesk.
No mini pc's, no 'T processors.
Ebay is your friend.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SirVenom

n3wb
Reaction score
uff or ussf: micro form factor or ultra small form factor. No space for 3.5” and use low power cpus. Not recommended for BI.

Sff small form factor. Can fit one 3.5” and a 2.5” hdd or ssd. Fine for BI. But as mentioned above you can only have one 3.5” hdd.cpus are ok

Mt factor: minitower. You can fit 2 3.5” or more. Cpus are fine. More power hungry thou

Photo for reference:

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
uff or ussf: micro form factor or ultra small form factor. No space for 3.5” and use low power cpus. Not recommended for BI.

Sff small form factor. Can fit one 3.5” and a 2.5” hdd or ssd. Fine for BI. But as mentioned above you can only have one 3.5” hdd.cpus are ok

Mt factor: minitower. You can fit 2 3.5” or more. Cpus are fine. More power hungry thou

Photo for reference:
Note the newer Dell mini towers only hold 1 3.5....they will use the same amount of power as a sff

twisted copper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Both cameras have 128 GB SD cards and I'm okay with using those for storage.

As far as the big tower being an energy hog that's definitely something I want to avoid, my girlfriend is an energy Nazi and watches the electric bill like a hawk.

I currently use a mid tower desktop for everyday web surfing and I plan to use this machine to replace that. I'm assuming BI won't bog a system down to where I can't browse the Web

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Both cameras have 128 GB SD cards and I'm okay with using those for storage.

As far as the big tower being an energy hog that's definitely something I want to avoid, my girlfriend is an energy Nazi and watches the electric bill like a hawk.

I currently use a mid tower desktop for everyday web surfing and I plan to use this machine to replace that. I'm assuming BI won't bog a system down to where I can't browse the Web
The tower willnot be an energy hog...that is simply misinformation... It will use the same amount of power as an sff... Do not use a blue Iris machine as a personal desktop.... Dedicated PC to Blue Iris... They are cheap enough..

twisted copper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The tower willnot be an energy hog...that is simply misinformation... It will use the same amount of power as an sff... Do not use a blue Iris machine as a personal desktop.... Dedicated PC to Blue Iris... They are cheap enough..
Really? The whole machine needs to be dedicated just for 2 cameras? I don't know, I might have to reconsider, maybe an NVR is better option or neither . The only thing that I really want is the ability to fast forward faster more than 4x speed that I'm using now.

twisted copper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I currently don't monitor live or watch the playback and Web browse similtaneosly. I scroll through the pervious nights clips and close the Hikvision or Duhua program when done.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I currently don't monitor live or watch the playback and Web browse similtaneosly. I scroll through the pervious nights clips and close the Hikvision or Duhua program when done.
doesnt matter...a blue iris pc should be dedicated to the task.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Really? The whole machine needs to be dedicated just for 2 cameras? I don't know, I might have to reconsider, maybe an NVR is better option or neither . The only thing that I really want is the ability to fast forward faster more than 4x speed that I'm using now.
yes! go with an NVR, youll come crying back. This is not a processor issue, its a stability issue. You can buy a pc for 100 bux that will run your 2 cams. You can record to your cameras only, then come crying when the footage you wanted to capture is missing or screw around viewing at 2x speed.

twisted copper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On the topic of recordings, I just got an IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and can't get it to recording anything on the SD card I've searched the forum but I'm not finding any clues.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
On the topic of recordings, I just got an IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and can't get it to recording anything on the SD card I've searched the forum but I'm not finding any clues.
you need to set it up in the cam