Worked fine - then went Direct-to-Disk and now image corruption when there is movement...

Clegg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I've tested with the keepalives on and off, lower bit rate, main profile, high profile, variable, and constant bit rate, and other settings.

the laptop running this is at 30% CPU use with all 4 cameras going direct to disk recording.

Looking closely I am seeing some other artifacts too - like times where the playback is just black like it missed a couple frames or an entire IFrame.

I have 4 cameras that all exhibit the same behavior. 3 run through a central core switch before passing to the switch by my server gear. The 4th goes directly into that switch. Trying to be analytical about this to me I am wondering if this is a laptop based issue.

To troubleshoot I just disabled Hardware acceleration for one of the cameras, that does jack the CPU Utilization but I will see if that remedies this in some way.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't remember if hikvision cameras have an option for forcing RTSP to be over TCP or UDP. But if it does have that option, you want it to be TCP for reliability purposes.

Clegg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I've made a breakthrough of sorts. Turning off the intel hardware acceleration on the camera in question results in clean video going direct to disk and playback. I've tried 3 different video drivers and the latest/greatest one as well, and all exhibit the same issues. This is a 4th Gen Intel proc with Intel HD 4400 graphics. (so not that high end). I don't really have a better intel CPU to try this against off hand.

Is there a best practice / requirements listing for using the hardware offload and limitations around that?

Disabling this feature on 2 cameras added about 15 - 20% CPU load.

No there is no option to force RTSP on UDP or TCP, but since its running over Http and from doing a Netstat it looks like its TCP.

attached is the hardware info for this machine.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe when Blue Iris first implemented Quick Sync H.264 decoding, it was not recommended to use the VPP option with more than about 4 cameras. But people use the no-VPP option with 20+ cameras just fine.

Clegg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No VPP being used in this case. I read that initially that people had issues with that. I am still doing more testing just installed latest NIC, Disk controller, and chipset drivers to see if that has any impact.