Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Going to look at putting together a comparison between 2.8 and 3.6 when I get my hands on both prod models. That way people will get an appreciation of a) focal length in the real world especially with these more shallow depth of field sensors + b) an update on the issues I noted that were meant to be tackled in Prod. Will keep all updated. Also working on the A180 cam bugs to try and get that moving forward for a new bug release from Dahua and can then review that

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you do another 4kx vs 4k-t comparison withg the new firmware?

Be interesting to see how PQ and DOF compare following the changes. I'm sure many want to get onto the 4kt but atm have some doubts given it's performance doesn't quite match the x. Hoping Dahua have either fixed it or can level the playing the field in the future.

Also, hoping we might see a varifocal 4k-t in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

moviefan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Going to look at putting together a comparison between 2.8 and 3.6 when I get my hands on both prod models. That way people will get an appreciation of a) focal length in the real world especially with these more shallow depth of field sensors + b) an update on the issues I noted that were meant to be tackled in Prod. Will keep all updated. Also working on the A180 cam bugs to try and get that moving forward for a new bug release from Dahua and can then review that
same got my 3.6 and 2.8 but need to get off my ass away from the pc to set them up

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How does the color night recording work?

Does the spotlight come on when it detect motion and it records in color?

OR

It is on all the time to get color night recoding?

Thanks

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
How does the color night recording work?

Does the spotlight come on when it detect motion and it records in color?

OR

It is on all the time to get color night recoding?

Thanks
Full color all the time. LEDs can be set to trigger on motion BUT I would advise constant light source either on or off camera so you don’t suffer from
light bloom or potential missed target captures as many of us have mentioned here before.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera still needs light to see, so depending on field of view, it could be too dark for the camera to see anything and trigger, so it is best to either leave built-in light on or have enough ambient light.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Full color all the time. LEDs can be set to trigger on motion BUT I would advise constant light source either on or off camera so you don’t suffer from
light bloom or potential missed target captures as many of us have mentioned here before.
Will you be able to do a short basic to intermediate video on how to setup the camera after unboxing and mounting it?

Thanks

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you do another 4kx vs 4k-t comparison withg the new firmware?

Be interesting to see how PQ and DOF compare following the changes. I'm sure many want to get onto the 4kt but atm have some doubts given it's performance doesn't quite match the x. Hoping Dahua have either fixed it or can level the playing the field in the future.

Also, hooping we might see a varifocal 4k-t in the not too distant future.
I'll try and do a 2.8mm vs 3.6mm 4K-T AND add in the 3.6mm 4K-X for good measure. If I can pull that off they won't all be sitting next to each other, will have to have the 4K-X off to the side but would be close enough to show any differences. I'll work on that as soon I get my hands on the units and let you all know

Steviedee

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, just received my 2.8mm 4kt, its light gathering ability is amazing, much better than the 5442t-ze it's replacing. Just a quick one...hopefully. With my 5442t-ze i had the camera set to DAY/NIGHT profile management, so my settings for night and day would automatically change when needed. This worked well. Maybe I'm blind, but how do i get these settings in the new GUI. I'm a little lost to be honest.

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there any ETA on the varifocal model? Debating if I should wait or just pick up one of the 2.8mm or 3.6mm. I do like the ability to zoom in order to dial in the picture exactly where I want it though.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there any ETA on the varifocal model? Debating if I should wait or just pick up one of the 2.8mm or 3.6mm. I do like the ability to zoom in order to dial in the picture exactly where I want it though.
The varifocal will be a while IMO, I wouldn't hedge bets on it being available soon. If you have a need now then picking up the current turrets is the way go.

Neverwhere

n3wb
Reaction score
With my 5442t-ze i had the camera set to DAY/NIGHT profile management, so my settings for night and day would automatically change when needed. This worked well. Maybe I'm blind, but how do i get these settings in the new GUI. I'm a little lost to be honest.
I have a similar concern.
I have been trying for two days to get the Dahua day/night switch utility (dahuasunrisesunset) to work with the 5849 turret but have been unsuccessful. My camera is stuck in day profile. I have no use for the built in schedule as changing profiles based on day/night (dark/light, sunrise/sunset) is more practical.

Has anyone been able to get the Dahua day/night switch utility to work with the 5849 camera?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the same complaint. Their schedule, while better than it used to be, is still pretty poor. No way to time changes to sunrise/sunset even using the Sunrise/Sunset utility. They really, really, need to do something about that!

On the other hand the camera performs really well. I just put mine up today and, using their schedule to change modes, I'm able to maintain full color 24/7 with a shutter speed of 8.33ms. I am impressed with the video performance, but the GUI isn't very good. Too much wasted space and too many places to look to try and find settings. Some of that is not being familiar with it, but when you click on :Home" ALL categories should be on the screen and on a single screen.

Here's a quick screen grab. I had a 5442TM-AS with a 3.6mm lens where this camera is now which is also a 3.6mm. I could "force" the 5442 into color full time but the shutter speed at night was too slow and made it ineffective,

4k-t_night.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I have found that I don't need to use the sunrise/sunset utility for the 4K/X cameras because it doesn't take much light to still be effective. The 4K/X bullet and now this turret are the first cameras I have been able to run just one profile setting.

I will try mine with utility and see if mine fails out to (probably will since others have been expressing this issue since the 4K/X bullet version).

Yeah I am still getting used to the new GUI as well. For those with an NVR, it looks similar enough that they probably won't have a problem switching to this GUI.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll try my night settings during the day tomorrow but I seriously doubt that will work. I know the day settings don't work at night so I really can't see how night will work during the day. It all depends on the view and ambient light. Tonight is a good test because it's cloudy so the newly waning moon isn't adding light.