Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any guidance on this from experience eg would your run a range of say 1/60 or 1/120 to 1/500?

Would I be correct in guessing you wouldn't want to go below 1/60 to preserve motion and probably wouldn't need to go above 1/500 unless running very bright lighting eg 10K lumen +.
That would be correct - 1/60 at the lowest end and then 1/500 is probably decent unless it is a really bright light close enough to the camera.

But if you have any light at all you might be able to up the lower end.

Glue9367

n3wb
Reaction score
So I've read through this entire thread, and I'm a long time lurker first time poster.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on 2 of these, but I have a couple quick questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

These will be used exclusively in blue iris, and I just wanted to make sure everything works well in there - streams are in sync, audio is in sync (even if poor quality). It seems like the firmware updates have made major improvements, which is great to see. Although the firmware still seems picky, I can deal with that as long as it works.

I'm replacing a couple cams that have been.... problematic - I'm trying to avoid dealing with stream/audio/cam dropping/sync issues in BI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I've read through this entire thread, and I'm a long time lurker first time poster.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on 2 of these, but I have a couple quick questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

These will be used exclusively in blue iris, and I just wanted to make sure everything works well in there - streams are in sync, audio is in sync (even if poor quality). It seems like the firmware updates have made major improvements, which is great to see. Although the firmware still seems picky, I can deal with that as long as it works.

I'm replacing a couple cams that have been.... problematic - I'm trying to avoid dealing with stream/audio/cam dropping/sync issues in BI.
I have a few and they work great with BI.

Just keep in mind this camera needs light - either light from the house or the built-in white lights. This camera does not see infrared.

But provided you have the light or willing to use the built-in light, it is a great camera.

Just curious - what cameras are you replacing? It could very well be an issue with your BI setup - are you running the cameras thru the router or are they isolated via dual NIC or VLAN?

Glue9367

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a few and they work great with BI.

Just keep in mind this camera needs light - either light from the house or the built-in white lights. This camera does not see infrared.

But provided you have the light or willing to use the built-in light, it is a great camera.

Just curious - what cameras are you replacing? It could very well be an issue with your BI setup - are you running the cameras thru the router or are they isolated via dual NIC or VLAN?
Hahaha... I don't want to derail the thread. My BI setup with them is about as good as they're going to get. They're RLC-822As, and the main stream is always ahead of the sub stream by a decent chunk if connected the RTSP of the camera directly, and the audio sync drifts all over the place. Also, randomly you'll get artifacts everywhere but where the motion is. I run a small instance of a program called "neolink" which basically pretends to be a reolink NVR, to turn their proprietary stream into a standard stream which negates the sync and artifact issues, but then you get multiple no signal drops throughout the day. Everything is on it's own VLAN etc.. Also the ghosting at night.... it's... bad. So if I'm taking these out, and spending more money - well, whatever I get better work or my wife will never let me buy cameras again, lol.

I have a lot of ambient light to be honest, and I can also turn on the lights at the front of the house that would back light the cameras - I'd experiment with both.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hahaha... I don't want to derail the thread. My BI setup with them is about as good as they're going to get. They're RLC-822As, and the main stream is always ahead of the sub stream by a decent chunk if connected the RTSP of the camera directly, and the audio sync drifts all over the place. Also, randomly you'll get artifacts everywhere but where the motion is. I run a small instance of a program called "neolink" which basically pretends to be a reolink NVR, to turn their proprietary stream into a standard stream which negates the sync and artifact issues, but then you get multiple no signal drops throughout the day. Everything is on it's own VLAN etc.. Also the ghosting at night.... it's... bad. So if I'm taking these out, and spending more money - well, whatever I get better work or my wife will never let me buy cameras again, lol.

I have a lot of ambient light to be honest, and I can also turn on the lights at the front of the house that would back light the cameras - I'd experiment with both.
You could have stopped with stating Reolink - yeah those are notorious for not playing well with BI, in addition to their other issues.

This will be a BIG improvement!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Curious, why not using RTMP stream on your ReoLinks in BI...

Glue9367

n3wb
Reaction score
Curious, why not using RTMP stream on your ReoLinks in BI...
The 4K cams, if you use the RTMP it's at a lower resolution, I honestly can't remember what it is exactly. At least for RLC-822a/RLC-820a.

Quick edit: Not trying to derail the conversation here, but to sum it up, I've had those cams awhile, done extensive fiddling with them and ultimately everything about them feels like a compromise. The drops I moaned about above are very brief when neolink is used, but it's far from ideal. So then if you switch to RTMP, you lose resolution, also not ideal. The hardware isn't great, but it's let down further by poor firmware. The firmware has improved to the point you can at least set a key rate but that's about it.

Last edited:

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Finally got my 4k-T installed today. Been waiting for nicer weather, and just so happens I found a small hole in my camera views, so perfect time to install.
That little hole I had was in my side yard with people cutting across the neighbors yard into my backyard then into my side yard,

This view also covers my side windows, AC and gas line.

Attachments

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just spend a good deal of time checking out if the 4k on 1/1.2" cams are an option for some of my best lit locations.

But then I learned that the minimum focal distance is 5 meters or 16.4 ft. 5 Meters for a 2.8mm is just a no go. I wish it could be switched as to start sooner and end sooner too. What I am looking for will be under 12 ft distance.

The fixed focus 5442 IR series is now listed EOL. Dahua seems to depart from IR?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just spend a good deal of time checking out if the 4k on 1/1.2" cams are an option for some of my best lit locations.

But then I learned that the minimum focal distance is 5 meters or 16.4 ft. 5 Meters for a 2.8mm is just a no go. I wish it could be switched as to start sooner and end sooner too. What I am looking for will be under 12 ft distance.

The fixed focus 5442 IR series is now listed EOL. Dahua seems to depart from IR?
No, it is just that chipset that is different version. The 5442 series is still going strong, just with a different chipset as Tigerwillow linked above and as discussed in this thread below.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reading and viewing stuff doesn't really help me with this on:

My situation: Night, porch, some porch light present. Cam LED must stay out. This sounds like an ideal condition for the IPC-Color4K-T. However, all this is under 3 meters distance. Given that I would have to use 2.8 (not due to fov but for focus distance) I am not sure what to expect. I have seen pictures that look OK (but could be from X model, which has closer focus). I have seen clips where some guy was blurred at 14 ft (could be 3.6 or 6mm). Due to wide angle, I can never guess the distance well.

Has anyone here the ability to hold something in front of the IPC-Color4K-T model in ~2 Meters (6-7 ft) distance and take a picture to allow judgement of focus quality and would be so kind to do this? (A sign, license plate, you know). Equally fine would be a link to some picture or footage that provides similar information.

I am a bit afraid that this cam isn't (yet) suitable for the location. I have also seen a post by someone who changed a defocused X lens back to focus. I was wondering if this would work the other way too. Give up the far field (not my property anyway) but get the porch. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Color4K Turret 3.6mm
Very kind of you. Many thanks!

Actually, the 3.6mm would have been my prefered focal length, but I fear it will be too blurred in close quarters. Your 6ft shot is the distance where I would expect to have people. It might even be a bit closer.
It is very helpful that you placed the cam on some board, because it shows the board to be very blurred. How far does that board extrend from the camera, like 3ft?
You are already noticably out of focus too, unlike the trees.

Do you know if this camera uses a variable iris/aperture? Because if it does, the sharpness would degrade further at night, when the aperture opens up. (I'd say it does not have one, seems uncommon with these cameras).

I am not sure if I would not be better served with a 5449-LED model at 3.6mm.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes its sitting on a 3ft piece of fence slat. I dont have it running on my system currently as since we moved to the swamp everything is too close obvious;ly to run bright LED's at night.

The 12-13ft mark seems to be nice and crisp

I have been using 5442-ASE turrets 3.6 mm at entrance doorways for some time and like them
Here;s a shot from our old house
View attachment 4116P_ch3_20210522181803_20210522181826.mp4

And the old location of my 3.6 4K-X bullet which at 7ft did pretty well- I just prefer the Depth and image of a bullet in most cases
View attachment 4116P_ch2_20210522181746_20210522181839.mp4

Last edited: