Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Once again you're expertise and professional production blows every other reviewer out of the water! If all reviews were done at this level it would take all, well almost all, of the guesswork out of selecting cameras.

Which, in your judgement, has the better color rendition at night? The 4K-X or the 4K-T?

As an aside and out of nothing more than curiosity, is that an air connection or hose connection on the side of the house?

Thanks again for a really great review!
Thanks for the kind words as always @sebastiantombs, I really do appreciate it. A lot of work goes into this reviews but my hope is exactly what you mentioned which is that it helps to 'take all, well almost all, of the guesswork out of selecting cameras'. I also try to show most features (where possible) and for the important night testing give everyone an idea of how these will perform under different lighting situations at an install as well as how to dial in the camera for best results. I intend to do more of the 'special feature' walk throughs in the future as well, especially since there are more new features coming to cameras just around the corner ;)

In answer to your question about color, both the 4K-T and 4K-X are very good. The 4K-X has the benefit (at the moment in comparison to this pre-production unit) of having the slightly cleaner image. However in using these cams (2.8, 3.6, 6.0 of 4K-X + the 2.8 of the 4K-T) for a long period, the output from the 4K-T does have the edge in my opinion. Now, I caveat that with the fact that I definitely want you all running the FW I've been working on (once released by Dahua in final version) and dialing in for the FOV but I'm actually really impressed (as I mentioned in the video) with the performance of this Turret so far. As I mentioned above, I believe I've dialed this in (both settings wise + in changes to the underlying code& algorithms) to about the extent I can push this SOC BUT it handles it well. I was pleasantly surprised at how bright the image looks from the 4K-T without being overexposed at night and critically, retaining details. Don't get me wrong, Close Focus Distance needs to be corrected (and I had confirmation late yesterday that it has been on production lines now) + would be great to have a turret with varifocal + speaker (both of which I believe will come in the future) BUT right now have a 1/1.2" sensor in a turret with full color in 4K and delivering an image like this from the Taurus chipset is VERY encouraging.

HTH

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Couldn't help but notice that the T version was so much sharper on the distant trees than the X (in your video)

That is one thing that bugs me alot with the X. Everything beyond my driveway is slightly out of focus and blurry.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Both Color-X camera series look darn near perfect. My only wish is that they had a manual focus that could be set, preferably with a scale like on camera lenses. On the scale they could also put depth of field markers, again like old camera lenses have. Set the focus before mounting the camera for the scene.

As it is, what is involved in opening up the camera and focusing it?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Couldn't help but notice that the T version was so much sharper on the distant trees than the X (in your video)

That is one thing that bugs me alot with the X. Everything beyond my driveway is slightly out of focus and blurry.
Yes the DOF has been improved with the addition of the T version for sure, not as shallow as before which is a good thing. Adjusting the focus on the production version (remember what I said about Close Focus Distance) will change this a little due to focal point adjustment and overall drop off over distance. I still expect it to be sharper and certainly won't have the extreme drop off at distance seen with the 3.6 X for example (that I noted in that review). So with that said, I still advocate for the 2.8 over the 3.6 at this time (primarily based on my experience with 2.8 in both X & T versions vs 3.6 (on X version). Once I get a production 2.8mm and a production 3.6 Turret, will revisit both and update if that recommendation changes.

HTH

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought the 4K-X was good, too, but also see that the 4K-T seems sharper and a little brighter.
Yes both are no slouch for sure but the T definitely has just that slight edge overall in current iteration and with the current FW adjustments I mentioned. I will be revisiting the 4K-X in terms of other recommendations I have to improve that FW further as well. With that said, it won't resolve the DOF that we see (evident more on 3.6mm for example) due to that being HW but I think will assist in taking that PQ further as well. As I showed in my video these cameras really are remarkable. Hope everyone saw the iPhone flashlight test, that drives home the performance IMO

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
As promised all, I've completed the revisit of the daytime test. This one is with the beta FW I've been working on. I'm currently working on this much longer night testing where I put this through a barrage of different lighting conditions so feel free to Like, Subscribe and stay tuned for that one. Overall, as mentioned above, I'm much happier in how this camera is now performing based on the changes and recommendations I've ben working on with Dahua. Still more to come and will keep you updated. The changes I've worked on putting in place here with Dahua really are pushing this cam to its limits (considering it is a turret and the restrictions you run into with it + limitations on SOC etc) BUT my goal here has been to push it to the razor edge without breaching it and I believe we're close :) While this particular FW will not be planned to release to wider audience, its successor that I'm working on currently will be. Back to the edit of the night video now. Enjoy the daytime test that I'll post inline here as well as in the original threads too for ease of reference.

HTH and as always, make sure you choose 4K when viewing on YouTube

Daytime Review / Test Of Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm

It's improved but it looks like it still needs work. Can't see why Dahua seem to be having so much of a problem putting the 4kx into a different housing. Maybe the answer here is not to change components if reconifiguring them is such a squeeze, but simply to use a bigger turret. Personally I'd rather see aslight larger housing than a compromised image although compact housing and perfect image wins the day if they can even achieve that.

Issues I'm seeing:

1. Too high a dynamic range - WDR issue? Turret has deeper shadows and a bit of a dark feel even on the lighter areas compared to 4kx. Question WDR is working properly? - not able to smooth out the range differences as well.

2. Colour - 4kx still appears more saturated - good example the trees in the long distance comparison shot - 4kx noticibly more green than the slightly washed out turret. Again WDR issue? or colour?

3. Focusing - 4kx well balanced back to front. Turret better now but past the patio it's blurry compared to the 4kx and when Wildcat walks right up to the camera, the turret which has become sharp when he enters the patio, blurs again. It seems it has a very shallow focus range extending from mid patio to end of patio only. Too close or two far ie outside this zone and the quality drops off quickly. Even in the sweet spot, the 4kx close up of the tshirt looks slightly clearer and sharper. This goes to emphasising how big the difference maybe outside of the favoured field of focus.

The camera has so much promise and it's what everyone has been waiting for, but it seems Dahua are changing components between the turret and bullet version and the quality is suffering as a result.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The turret hardware has some change compare to the 4k-X, it's using the web5.0 now compare to the 4K-X.
Wildcat's sample camera maybe not at the best situation, i will arrange new one to him when we get the bulk productions, sure the new firmware will be out around 10days, will make the cam better.
Anyway, Both are great cams. ;)

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So with these color cameras, do the LEDs automatically come on when it gets dark...and stay on? Or are they maybe triggered to come on based on motion?
Sorry for newb questions...never dealt with these type of cameras but might actually have a need for some very shortly.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All cameras need light - either white light or infrared (except this camera doesn't see infrared) These are not motion sensing lights as that would mess up the exposure.

You either run with the white light on all night or you turn it off if you have enough white light around d the house.

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All cameras need light - either white light or infrared (except this camera doesn't see infrared) These are not motion sensing lights as that would mess up the exposure.

You either run with the white light on all night or you turn it off if you have enough white light around d the house.
Okay....so if the LUX rating is the same for a non-full time color cam, then this would seem to indicate that both types of cameras would provide the same image (brightness or whatever) except that one would be in color and the other would be B&W. Would that be accurate?
Can the LEDs can be programmed to be on/off according to a schedule? (Sort of like other cameras DAY/NIGHT mode can be programmed in BI)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay....so if the LUX rating is the same for a non-full time color cam, then this would seem to indicate that both types of cameras would provide the same image (brightness or whatever) except that one would be in color and the other would be B&W. Would that be accurate?
Can the LEDs can be programmed to be on/off according to a schedule? (Sort of like other cameras DAY/NIGHT mode can be programmed in BI)
You have to take those ratings with a grain of salt as manufactures use to say how the camera was set up for that rating. Is 0.0005 based on a 1/3s shutter or 1/120s shutter as an example?

The older spec sheet was a little better because you knew what conditions the numbers are developed in.

The old specs would say something like "Color, 1/3s" so they are telling you that the Lux rating was based on a shutter speed of 1/3 of a second, which means the shutter is wide open slow and motion would be a complete blur. You need a minimum of 1/60s shutter to reduce blur of a person walking.

So the reason for the difference in the Lux ratings is based on the parameters the camera is set to. I believe Dahua quit doing posting the test parameters for the LUX ratings the old way because then the camera wouldn't look as impressive as other cameras that would do the slowest shutter setting to develop the Lux rating.

That is why you don't put much stock in these ratings. Every manufacturer tweaks their camera to get the "best" lux rating it can, but nobody would run the camera in the settings they did to get the lux ratings.

So the best bet is to look at the reviews here on the camera where members here show you video and stills from motion shots and you can see the light they had available and determine if it is close to what you have or not. Do not rely on Amazon and other site reviews because the general consumer is fascinated with a bright image. You never see motion in the amazon reviews. You can make any camera look nice and bright and great out at midnight if you slow the shutter and up the gain, but then motion is a complete blur.

In my experience with these cameras. if a camera had the same LUX rating for color as the 4K/X does, there is no way that the image quality would be the same with motion. The 4K/X needs so little light. To get the same image quality (brightness/minimal blur) I have to run my 5442 at a 1/60s shutter, but I can run the 4K/X at a 1/250 shutter looking at the same field of view.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@ck42 Yes you can have the illuminators come on with Auto OR set Profile Management to Schedule and for Night Profile have it kick in at a certain time for illuminators and associated night settings to engage.

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any idea how this cam is supposed to compare with the IPC-T5442T?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Any idea how this cam is supposed to compare with the IPC-T5442T?
2 different cams that can handle different install requirements. Full color, fixed lens on 4K-T and 4MP varifocal with IR on 5442. Depending on your install location, lighting situation as well as distance to target (varifocal will of course give you more reach at 12mm Tele of course) etc you may benefit from 1 over the other. Take a look at my night test video if you haven’t and see if that helps you out. 4K-T is a very capable camera as I show but make sure you have light on scene.
HTH

jpoet

n3wb
Reaction score
I am moving to a new house at the end of this year. Unfortunately I will have to tolerate an HOA which does not allow any kind of spot/flood lights. There is a street light on one edge of my lot and I will have several wall sconces along the front face of my house which can be as bright as I want (as far as I know).

What are the chances I will be happy with this camera given that environment?

TIA

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I am moving to a new house at the end of this year. Unfortunately I will have to tolerate an HOA which does not allow any kind of spot/flood lights. There is a street light on one edge of my lot and I will have several wall sconces along the front face of my house which can be as bright as I want (as far as I know).

What are the chances I will be happy with this camera given that environment?

TIA
Take a look at my video review where I show you all lighting situations including using on camera light only. That gives you further options with the onboard LEDs I. Your case. With that information and your knowledge of the light output, direction and spill/splash that it will place at your point of install and target choke point, this should hopefully give you a better idea of this will fit your needs.

HTH. Let me know with any other questions.