Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've never played with presets for a PTZ, no PTZ here. I was surprised I got it working that easily. If "SwitchMode=0" is night mode and "SwitchMode=3" is day mode what is "SwitchMode=2"? I guess some additional testing is in order to figure out which "SwitchMode" yields which profile.
When I ran the GET command, Switchmode=2 says it switches based on sunrise or sunset times. I am still playing with this, so I don't know if it is code that is in the firmware that isn't applicable or if there is away to set this up to recognize sunrise/sunset. I am thinking it is for some future model? I don't see anything in the GUI that shows this and I am playing with APIs to see if I can make something happen.

Interesting it also shows in the GET command that there is audio present - the alarm.wav file. Again, we don't see that on the GUI either.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The numbers in the API code have the following meanings.

Definitions

NightOptions.SwitchMode

0: NoSwitch, always use day options.
1: Switch depends on brightness.
2: Switch depends on time, switch to NightOptions
when time is after sunset time and before sunrise.
3: NoSwitch, always use NightOptions.
4: No switch, always use NormalOptions.

NightOptions.DayNightColor
0: always multicolor
1: autoswitch along with brightness
2: always monochrome

The square brackets are for the camera channel number for NVR use based on N-1. i.e. camera 2 would be channel 1. On a 16 port NVR cameras are numbered 1-16. Channels 0-15. In the modified code for BI, the number has been removed but the brackets have been retained.

Steviedee

n3wb
Reaction score
Viewing the camera through synology monitor center and watching the image through the time setting at which the day settings should change to night (or the other way around), and it doesn't automatically change, but the very moment i login through the camera ip address itself, the settings change. might try and downgrade the firmware to what it had originally, coz i'm sure for the brief time I was checking it out, the schedules were working with the original firmware.

Neverwhere

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried this API call on both the Dahua HFW-5849T1-ASE-LED 6mm and the new Dahua 180 degree camera IPC-Color4K-B180 (PFW-5849-A180-E2-ASTE) and the code works for night to day and day to night using the full time day/night camera settings.
DRUM ROLL.........

With help from above, I have figured out the APIs to change profiles for this camera!!!!!

This process for the day/night switch seems to be working for me too.
Thank you to the above two members.

Copied the code from post by wittaj, but note that night profile has SwitchMode=3 (day profile SwitchMode=0).

BadKarma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I recently bought and received the IPC-Color4K-T-3.6mm, and I'm extremely happy with the video quality. I compared the 4K-T to the Annke nc800, which also utilises a 1 1/2" sensor, and I was surprised at how much clearer the 4K-T looked at night.

BadKarma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still seeing some focusing issues on the T's compared to the X's.

Not seeing a real focus at all. At 32 feet, the close focus distance, it looks well out of focus when you look at wildcat. Niether his face, shirt or the writing look in focus. There's zero definition on his arms and his face without the mask would be a blur. I know Wildcat zoomed in but surely by not enough to degrade the picture by that much - surely at 4K, there should be easily enough pixels to do that without such a loss of definition. The camera also suffers from excessive contrast and maybe a lack of Dynamic Range.

View attachment 143130

On the face of it, 22 feet looks slightly better but then it's poor again by about 18 feet.

Personally, I still think there are real issues with the lenses / chip being use in the 4KT and can't undertsand why Dahua have changed them from the 4KX. The 4KX is perfect apart from the form factor. The 4KT seems to have numerous issues not seen on the 4KX with Focus and DOF, and zooming into the detail even a little seems impossible despite the supposed pixel count.

If space is the problem, use a bigger turret!

I really want to love a 4K turret camera but atm, I'm juts not seeing the performance when compared to the 4KX. Whoever at Dahau made the decision to change the chip / lenses away from those used in the 4KX needs calling into the bosses oriffice !

Personally, I think it needs trashing at this point and a redesign based on the 4KX components as Dahua don't seem to be able to get this to work satisfactorily.
This worries me; could you tell me how you learned that the 4k-lens t's and chip are different from those utilised in the 4k-x?

I only inquire because when I inquired about the differences between these 2 cameras before making my purchase, Andy informed me that the only difference was that the 4k-t lacked a speaker.
Still seeing some focusing issues on the T's compared to the X's.

Not seeing a real focus at all. At 32 feet, the close focus distance, it looks well out of focus when you look at wildcat. Niether his face, shirt or the writing look in focus. There's zero definition on his arms and his face without the mask would be a blur. I know Wildcat zoomed in but surely by not enough to degrade the picture by that much - surely at 4K, there should be easily enough pixels to do that without such a loss of definition. The camera also suffers from excessive contrast and maybe a lack of Dynamic Range.

View attachment 143130

On the face of it, 22 feet looks slightly better but then it's poor again by about 18 feet.

Personally, I still think there are real issues with the lenses / chip being use in the 4KT and can't undertsand why Dahua have changed them from the 4KX. The 4KX is perfect apart from the form factor. The 4KT seems to have numerous issues not seen on the 4KX with Focus and DOF, and zooming into the detail even a little seems impossible despite the supposed pixel count.

If space is the problem, use a bigger turret!

I really want to love a 4K turret camera but atm, I'm juts not seeing the performance when compared to the 4KX. Whoever at Dahau made the decision to change the chip / lenses away from those used in the 4KX needs calling into the bosses oriffice !

Personally, I think it needs trashing at this point and a redesign based on the 4KX components as Dahua don't seem to be able to get this to work satisfactorily.
This worries me; could you tell me how you learned that the 4k-t's lens and chip are different from those utilised in the 4k-x?

I only inquire because when I inquired about the differences between these 2 cameras before making my purchase, Andy informed me that the only difference was that the 4k-t lacked a speaker.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This worries me; could you tell me how you learned that the 4k-lens t's and chip are different from those utilised in the 4k-x?

This worries me; could you tell me how you learned that the 4k-t's lens and chip are different from those utilised in the 4k-x?

There are not many here that think the image quality of the 4K-T is not better/equal to the 4K/X...most think the turret is better.

They are different chipsets as shown by they are running different firmware GUI.

Now there are some issues with the firmware that we are passing on to Andy and he is working with Dahua to get it fixed. But once they get fixed, the turret will have way more customization than the bullet.

But from an image standpoint, you have nothing to worry about. I have the both the 4K turret and bullet. From my perspective, the differences are as Andy says - if you want a speaker get the bullet, if not, the turret is fine.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I recently bought and received the IPC-Color4K-T-3.6mm, and I'm extremely happy with the video quality. I compared the 4K-T to the Annke nc800, which also utilises a 1 1/2" sensor, and I was surprised at how much clearer the 4K-T looked at night.

If you're happy with the 4kT why worry...

BadKarma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are not many here that think the image quality of the 4K-T is not better/equal to the 4K/X...most think the turret is better.

They are different chipsets as shown by they are running different firmware GUI.

Now there are some issues with the firmware that we are passing on to Andy and he is working with Dahua to get it fixed. But once they get fixed, the turret will have way more customization than the bullet.

But from an image standpoint, you have nothing to worry about. I have the both the 4K turret and bullet. From my perspective, the differences are as Andy says - if you want a speaker get the bullet, if not, the turret is fine.
I watched Wildcats review and the 4k-x has a picture in my opinion, andy should have been honest and straightforward with me and simply told me what the differences between the two cameras were, rather than saying it's just missing a speaker, which I believe is misleading and would have influenced my purchase decision.

I agree that the camera is good, but is it as good as the 4k-x? It doesn't support 30 frames per second, which is very disappointing, and the features are, in my opinion, limited because you can only use one of them at a time; additionally, face detection on my model doesn't seem to work at all. It would be great if face detection and object detection could be used simultaneously.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I watched Wildcats review and the 4k-x has a picture in my opinion, andy should have been honest and straightforward with me and simply told me what the differences between the two cameras were, rather than saying it's just missing a speaker, which I believe is misleading and would have influenced my purchase decision.

I agree that the camera is good, but is it as good as the 4k-x? It doesn't support 30 frames per second, which is very disappointing, and the features are, in my opinion, limited because you can only use one of them at a time; additionally, face detection on my model doesn't seem to work at all. It would be great if face detection and object detection could be used simultaneously.
To most people the speaker is the only difference, except for the different GUI, but most NOOB would prefer the newest GUI....I have both and unless I need the speaker, I prefer the image of the 4K-T and it has more options than the 4K-X once the firmware gets squared away...YMMV

Most don't use face detection because it is gimmicky...plus if the perp hides their face, then it doesn't trigger...

Second, the camera does "support" 30FPS....

1666614613499.png

But there is no need to run it at 30FPS. Even the 4K/X struggled with 30FPS.

Keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these units at higher FPS and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the unit and then it bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy or pixelated or you get lost signals. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of units - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but trying to use the rated "spec" of every option available is usually not going to work well, either with a car or a camera or NVR.

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or video dropping signal or IVS missing motion or the SD card doesn't overwrite and they were running 30FPS or higher and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable and they could actual freeze frame the image to get a clean capture. The goal of these cameras are to capture a moving object, not capture smooth motion. When we see the news, are they showing the video or a freeze frame screen shot? Nobody cares if it isn't butter smooth...getting the features to make an ID is the important factor. As always, YMMV...

Further, these types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. They "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets and most monitors LOL. Many of my cameras are running at 12FPS.

In fact, many times if a CPU is maxing out, if it doesn't drop signal, then it will adhere to the FPS but then slow the shutter down to try to not max the CPU or cut bitrate or be slow to detect an object, etc, which then produces a smooth blurry image..that is the video my neighbor gets who insists on running 60FPS. He gets smooth walking people watching the video real time, but you can't freeze frame it cause every frame is a blur, meanwhile my 12FPS gets the clean freeze frame. Shutter speed is more important the FPS. We both run the same shutter speed by the way, but his camera CPU is maxing out and something gotta give when you push it that hard.

Sure 30FPS can provide a smoother video but no police officer has said "wow that person really is running smooth". They want the ability to freeze frame and get a clean image. So be it if the video is a little choppy....and at 10-15FPS it won't be appreciable. My neighbor runs his at 30FPS, so the person or car goes by looking smooth, but it is a blur when trying to freeze frame it because the camera can't keep up. Meanwhile my camera at 15FPS with the proper shutter speed gets the clean shots.

So a few of my cams have a system status screen, and they call it a CPU, so that is why I am calling it a CPU, but this shows this camera running at 8192 bitrate, H264, CBR, and 12 FPS is hitting the camera processor at 47% and jumps to 70% with motion. If I up the camera to 30 FPS, the usage is in the high 90% range, but then with motion, it maxes out and would get unstable.

Or if I keep it at 12 FPS and use the camera motion detection, the CPU in the camera goes to 60% idle.

This would be nice if all cams had this so we could see how our settings impact the performance of the camera. I think running these cams close to capacity is probably harder to overcome than a computer spike at 100% CPU.

At the end of the day, if the consumer wants cameras that can do 30FPS, they will not look at any cameras that do not have that rated spec, so some companies will throw that in to appease the person looking for that. Unfortunately, that is marketing. It takes someone with experience in the industry to know for sure if it is really capable of what marketing says.

And in a few scenarios maybe you can squeak 30FPS out of these cameras - maybe without using IVS or motion detection and just watching a simple feed. But maybe when two users log in, it can't handle it for example. The more features you use, the less likely it will work as one expects.

And if the complaints get bad enough, we have seen firmware updates to popular models that do just that - cut FPS or some other feature...

1666614775048.png

Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BUG MAGNET! Great camera, but (at night using LEDs) my Alerts Tab is filled with flying insects attracted to the light. It's installed at a location where there is very little light, so need to use the LEDs.
Looking to use supplemental lighting vs. camera LEDs, or move to another location with better ambient light.
Curious if typical landscape lighting will work, or something more like a dusk to dawn flood light.

mcfly76

n3wb
Reaction score
BUG MAGNET! Great camera, but (at night using LEDs) my Alerts Tab is filled with flying insects attracted to the light. It's installed at a location where there is very little light, so need to use the LEDs.
Looking to use supplemental lighting vs. camera LEDs, or move to another location with better ambient light.
Curious if typical landscape lighting will work, or something more like a dusk to dawn flood light.
Thanks, I was asking the same here: IPC-T5442 (4MP) vs. new IPC-Color4K-T?

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there still a large difference in close focus distance between the 2.8mm and 3.6mm? From this thread it looked like the 2.8mm goes down to 8ft but the 3.6mm is still stuck at 16ft?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In my situation if the close focus of the 3.6 is at 16 feet or so it works out perfectly. It's situational dependent so use some thought before deciding on which is best. The only way to know, for sure, is to try it.