Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mostly it would be used as overview with checking about make/model/color of a car if beyond the 20 feet and was hoping to maybe get the license plate at distance 10-15' I was planning for the 4k/t but read the focus might not be idea if I still want other parts to be in focus. trying to setup 2 cams 2.8mm so I can get close to 180 degree of view. Mostly needed for during business hours. 9am-7pm

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You cant get a single camera to give you equal detail at 15 and 70 feet.

One option would be crossing 3.6mm Color4K bullets (I think they have better depth of field). But No IR so you'd need good ambient light or use the built in LEDS

Here's some samples
People come into view at about 75ft,, middle of turn is 45ft. Streetlights help, big ass dark shadows from trees hurt. I still have the camera LEDs on at 65%
View attachment Home_ch1_20230905214029_20230905214101.mp4

And another with slightly different exposure settings
View attachment Home_ch1_20230725222814_20230725222834.mp4

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regardless of camera choice, a 2.8mm will not capture plates at 10-15 feet. You MIGHT be able to get some with digital zoom during the day under ideal conditions, but at night forget it.

Regarding plates, keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1675078711764.png

See the LPR subforum for more details.

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@bigredfish Thank You for the videos contrasting the 4K-T, 5442, 5542H-ZHE.
Putting a camera at the front door and the 4K-T and 5442 (both 3.6mm) are my current choices. I had been favoring the 4K-T , yet the audio points to a big difference between the two camera.
I'm sure that "tweaking" can be accomplished to correct audio, so still favoring the 4K-T. Plus I read that the 4K-T cameras earn bonus tickets during Andy's sale, and I was looking at buying two.
EDIT WHILE TYPING: just saw your newest video post, and I am convinced the 4K-T will work best in my environment.

Last edited:

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
20230911_152130.jpg
The two bottom right cams are what I am referring to. About 10 feet infront is where cars pull up to park and beyond is parking areas. We have tables outside with products on the sidewalk as well.

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nighttime is what matters, unless it doesnt to you

4k (T or bullet) neither have IR so you would need Light
If thiose are shooting from inside the store then you have other issues at night with IR and/or LEDs bouncing off the glass
Nighttime dosen't matter to me as much. I just think of it as anything is better than my current setup that is showing signs of end of their life. Mainly used for theft prevention and to recall some incidents that acure during business hours.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere I did a post here with shots at various distances with the 3.6mm 4K-X (bullet)

Here's the images I saved
10, 20, 30 ft on an overcast day

View attachment 172088 View attachment 172087 View attachment 172086
Awesome example - did you do that same test at night as well? I would expect the further distances were more guessing the plate?

But for those that find this thread later thinking they can use this cam for LPR, it needs to be pointed out this is a controlled test with a non-moving plate. Unless the plate is straight on coming or going away from the camera and the vehicle would basically pass under the camera, any angle introduced of a moving vehicle adds to the difficulty of reading plates with this camera.

It has nothing to do with the camera because it is a great camera, it has to do with the focal length of the camera and trying to use it for a problematic situation.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good point @wittaj . I didnt mean to insinuate that this should be a choice for LPR. Was just using it as a static prop to judge clarity at distance RE the known focus point/blur issues.

No I wouldnt recommend it for LPR

Judging from what I've seen on this site, the 3.6mm just seems to have less blur issues and a broader 'good" focus distance ratio than the 2.8 or 6mm, and as you know, Im partial to bullets as I perceive a better depth of field in most cases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding reading license plates, I find it ok even at night (albeit manually with some digital zoom). Here is an example from mine, snapped of a moving car at night, at least 30ft away…

View attachment 172159

Video:
But that is because your country has big @$$ plates the size of the front bumper LOL. And you have a great combination of light, angle, and slow speed.

USA plates won't fare as well because the plates are a lot smaller.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@garmcqui I agree with others that a varifocal camera is better for LPR but if you are sticking with this camera, and you are using Blue Iris + CodeProject.AI to do ALPR, then this trick can help

Look at AOI (area of interest) in BI5.

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One thing I would like to do is use Blue Iris to control the schedule for day/night profile. I tried using the Dahua Sunrise/Sunset service, but it doesn’t work on this camera like my other cams (which are Dahua).

Has anyone successfully configured the PTZ/Control feature in Blue Iris for this camera to switch between camera profiles?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One thing I would like to do is use Blue Iris to control the schedule for day/night profile. I tried using the Dahua Sunrise/Sunset service, but it doesn’t work on this camera like my other cams (which are Dahua).

Has anyone successfully configured the PTZ/Control feature in Blue Iris for this camera to switch between camera profiles?

Thanks
The new GUI uses different APIs