Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE+D2 - Dual Lens Full Color 2.0

Reaction score
I'm really interested in this camera, but I would love to see some of the footage or screencaps with the updates to see how it looks now with the improvements.

One thing I think was missing from the original video review was a night time comparison with the 5442 with IR only. Would be great to compare IR image quality between the two 4MP to see the difference the wider aperture makes on this cam, plus see the colour added by the flashlight, in the same scene with the same conditions.

Even a shootout between the current top dogs (this cam, 5442, 5842, Color4K) with the latest firmware would be awesome. Maybe pick the best bunch from each price range for other shootouts. I dunno, just a thought cause newbs like me find it a bit tricky to compare cam footage from different conditions (overcast, sunny), and different scenes (seasons). Plus firmware updates might change something significantly for the better that might change what camera is best to suit your situation.

Not to sound demanding, I understand it takes a lot of work to put these videos together, just an idea for interest sake :idk:

I think I read the answer elsewhere saying this isn't possible, but just to clarify, this cam having both an IR LED and a white LED, can it be run with just the IR led on and then turn the white LED on when someone enters the scene?

Thank you all for the great reviews and informative discussions! :D

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm really interested in this camera, but I would love to see some of the footage or screencaps with the updates to see how it looks now with the improvements.

One thing I think was missing from the original video review was a night time comparison with the 5442 with IR only. Would be great to compare IR image quality between the two 4MP to see the difference the wider aperture makes on this cam, plus see the colour added by the flashlight, in the same scene with the same conditions.

Even a shootout between the current top dogs (this cam, 5442, 5842, Color4K) with the latest firmware would be awesome. Maybe pick the best bunch from each price range for other shootouts. I dunno, just a thought cause newbs like me find it a bit tricky to compare cam footage from different conditions (overcast, sunny), and different scenes (seasons). Plus firmware updates might change something significantly for the better that might change what camera is best to suit your situation.

Not to sound demanding, I understand it takes a lot of work to put these videos together, just an idea for interest sake :idk:

I think I read the answer elsewhere saying this isn't possible, but just to clarify, this cam having both an IR LED and a white LED, can it be run with just the IR led on and then turn the white LED on when someone enters the scene?

Thank you all for the great reviews and informative discussions! :D
Yes I will be doing more comparisons and revisits in the future so stay tuned. The latest FW update unfortunately didn't address the larger bugs I raised and to be honest I'm not expecting those to be tackled until later this year due to dev priorities at Dahua. I have also recommended some changes for v2 of this cam

ReadyRed

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I will be doing more comparisons and revisits in the future so stay tuned. The latest FW update unfortunately didn't address the larger bugs I raised and to be honest I'm not expecting those to be tackled until later this year due to dev priorities at Dahua. I have also recommended some changes for v2 of this cam
Hi,
You are thinking that v2 will mean hardware changes?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,
You are thinking that v2 will mean hardware changes?
TBH I hope it will, not because the V1 isn't good, its actually pretty amazing BUT for some of the changes I would like to see those could only be accommodated with HW changes. For example switch the 2nd to a 1/1.8" rather than 1/2.8", allow for manual overlay of calibrated images between the units etc etc. Either way great cam today but could be even more AMAZING tomorrow

HTH

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Get some fund from dahua for this dual sensor model, when we get the support from them, we can sell these cams with better price, so more guys can do for this latest new tech.
One of the many selling points of Andy's cams - in addition to letting his customers try new firmware and new cameras first, Dahua gives him money to offset the purchase cost to his customers. How many other vendors have that relationship!

Excellent timing giving all the inflation!

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most people here seem to recommend the 5442. But (mostly) based on this thread and others it seems the IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2 would be a better choice. So why is the 5442 still recommended so much? The only two things I can think of is price and varifocal capability. Am I missing something?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Most people here seem to recommend the 5442. But (mostly) based on this thread and others it seems the IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2 would be a better choice. So why is the 5442 still recommended so much? The only two things I can think of is price and varifocal capability. Am I missing something?
Yes, these cams are very good too, use latest new tech, only dahua has this kind of camera right now in the world, just price is higher,no motorized lens compare to the 5442.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I
Most people here seem to recommend the 5442. But (mostly) based on this thread and others it seems the IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2 would be a better choice.
One of the knotty details is the dual lens camera might not be a good choice for distance viewing because the convergence of the images from the two lenses has a closer-in sweet spot.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I
One of the knotty details is the dual lens camera might not be a good choice for distance viewing because the convergence of the images from the two lenses has a closer-in sweet spot.
Andy on his AE page mentions "Remember that the 2 lenses have to converge so higher and further away leads to loss of detail due to the fringing of the spliced images. Therefore to retain quality of target details go in the middle (7 - 7.5ft high) and with distance to target around 6.5ft - 10ft from camera."

That seems pretty limited. In my case the camera would be some 10' high and point to about 20-25' away. Considering this, should I not be using this cam and instead get a 5442? The results of the 5449 look pretty impressive, though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy on his AE page mentions "Remember that the 2 lenses have to converge so higher and further away leads to loss of detail due to the fringing of the spliced images. Therefore to retain quality of target details go in the middle (7 - 7.5ft high) and with distance to target around 6.5ft - 10ft from camera."

That seems pretty limited. In my case the camera would be some 10' high and point to about 20-25' away. Considering this, should I not be using this cam and instead get a 5442? The results of the 5449 look pretty impressive, though.
His comment was more in line with the first firmwares, but the recent firmware has done an excellent job of splicing the images together across a wider range.

Regardless, the DORI numbers should still be taken into consideration. Whether it is this camera, the 5442, or the 4K/X, based on focal lengths, at night I wouldn't be using any of these 2.8 or 3.6mm lens cameras to IDENTIFY at 25 feet or more out.

But within the sweet spot for IDENTIFY, this camera does very well and is incredible for anyone that has a backlight field of view.