Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE+D2 - Dual Lens Full Color 2.0

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've just got to say that the IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2 is the most amazing camera I have ever installed. I received mine today, and Andy was kind enough to send me the updated firmware this evening. Here is a screen capture of the IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2 on the left (my front door) and a IPC-5442T-ZE on the right (walkway from the door leading out to the street)at 8:54PM. It is REALLY dark outside, yet it produces a color image, and I don't even have my porch lights turned on. Wow!IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2.jpg

cctvtech

n3wb
Reaction score
Does the dome have Active Deterrence? Flashing strobes and siren through speaker. Also if so does it allow custom audio files like the other AD cameras?

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does the dome have Active Deterrence? Flashing strobes and siren through speaker. Also if so does it allow custom audio files like the other AD cameras?
No active deterrence, but it does allow custom audio files. I uploaded a couple mp3's.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This camera and the 4K/X are made for picture/video quality. Active Deterrence lights would mess with the exposure and thus the image quality.

Believe me, the active deterrence flashing light is not really visible unless you are looking at the camera - the audio would be much better deterrent.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This camera and the 4K/X are made for picture/video quality. Active Deterrence lights would mess with the exposure and thus the image quality.

Believe me, the active deterrence flashing light is not really visible unless you are looking at the camera - the audio would be much better deterrent.
Very true. The active deterrence feature with flashing lights really doesn't do much. I have it on three of my cameras, but after trying it out I was not impressed. However, on one of my overview cameras positioned high on my house, setting the light to blink so that someone knows you have a camera system is helpful. The audio files though are fun to use. I don't like the blaring default alarm sound, as I think it would bother my neighbors; however, I do like to upload some custom mp3's. It is especially fun at Halloween to set up tripwires to activate the custom sounds.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very true. The active deterrence feature with flashing lights really doesn't do much. I have it on three of my cameras, but after trying it out I was not impressed. However, on one of my overview cameras positioned high on my house, setting the light to blink so that someone knows you have a camera system is helpful. The audio files though are fun to use. I don't like the blaring default alarm sound, as I think it would bother my neighbors; however, I do like to upload some custom mp3's. It is especially fun at Halloween to set up tripwires to activate the custom sounds.
Yes, I have 3 myself as overview cameras as well and they are perfect for that. They were the cheapest good camera that had audio and like you, I do not use the default alarm, but rather custom that the perp would here but not my neighbors inside their house.

The active deterrence has a place, but it isn't on these high end sensor cameras!

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I was looking at options for going full colour. Lots of lights with 5442 turrets? Or do I go dual sensor?

One of the things that was discouraging me from going Dual sensor were issues around depth of field at night. F1.0 with near focus to 2m does not exactly result in a large depth of field.

I was looking at the specs on Andy's Web store and noticed the Dahua specs are very different.

Camera

Image Sensor

1/1.8" + 1/1.8" CMOS

Lens

Lens Type

Fixed-focal

Lens Mount

M16

Focal Length

2.8 mm; 3.6 mm; 6 mm

Max. Aperture

F1.0

Field of View

2.8 mm: Horizontal: 97°; Vertical: 48°; Diagonal: 115°

3.6 mm: Horizontal: 75°; Vertical: 39°; Diagonal: 87°

6 mm: Horizontal: 47°; Vertical: 25°; Diagonal: 56°

Iris Control

Fixed

Close Focus Distance

2.8 mm: 4 m (13.1 ft)

3.6 mm: 5 m (16.4 ft)

6 mm: 6 m (19.7 ft)

So spit balling here but it appears dahua has abandoned the lunacy of trying to splice images from two different sensors/lenses and has also pushed out the near focus to 4+ metres which I would guess would be to improve depth of field at large apertures.

Perhaps @EMPIRETECANDY can shed some light. Is a new, better, model coming soon. ? If so do want.

Edit: Looks like they are available in the US

Ouch. With Shipping and GST they are almost double a 5442.

Last edited:

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I was looking at options for going full colour. Lots of lights with 5442 turrets? Or do I go dual sensor?

One of the things that was discouraging me from going Dual sensor were issues around depth of field at night. F1.0 with near focus to 2m does not exactly result in a large depth of field.

I was looking at the specs on Andy's Web store and noticed the Dahua specs are very different.

Camera

Image Sensor

1/1.8" + 1/1.8" CMOS

Lens

Lens Type

Fixed-focal

Lens Mount

M16

Focal Length

2.8 mm; 3.6 mm; 6 mm

Max. Aperture

F1.0

Field of View

2.8 mm: Horizontal: 97°; Vertical: 48°; Diagonal: 115°

3.6 mm: Horizontal: 75°; Vertical: 39°; Diagonal: 87°

6 mm: Horizontal: 47°; Vertical: 25°; Diagonal: 56°

Iris Control

Fixed

Close Focus Distance

2.8 mm: 4 m (13.1 ft)

3.6 mm: 5 m (16.4 ft)

6 mm: 6 m (19.7 ft)

So spit balling here but it appears dahua has abandoned the lunacy of trying to splice images from two different sensors/lenses and has also pushed out the near focus to 4+ metres which I would guess would be to improve depth of field at large apertures.

Perhaps @EMPIRETECANDY can shed some light. Is a new, better, model coming soon. ? If so do want.

Edit: Looks like they are available in the US

Ouch. With Shipping and GST they are almost double a 5442.
That is sound reasoning. I also looked at the N54DUD2 available from B&H but decided because of my situation to purchase a second PC-5449H-ASE-D2. I think the dual-lens 3.6mm is perfect for some installations but definitely has its limitations for others. For my initial install I mounted the camera about 8' up and 13' from the intended target. I wanted to be able to identify someone by clothing color at night, without having to turn the outside lights on. If I leave my porch lights "on," the 5442 is a better choice in that location, but w/o light (and only adding the built-in IR), the ability of the dual-lens camera to capture a usable color image is remarkable. During the day the camera has no problem with depth of field, but as you mention as a concern in your post, at night it does struggle with a very shallow depth of field and its wide aperture. For me, the ability to detect color made more sense than the ability to output a crystal-clear image. I have other overview cameras with IR that can possibly ID individuals before they reach the porch with the dual-lens camera, so it is not a big deal. I ordered a second dual-lens camera last night after trying the camera on my driveway. The 5442 I had mounted at the driveway provided a nice image via IR (supplemented by three motion-detector garage mounted lights), but I really wanted an enhanced image with color. I have a PTZ camera that follows subjects on the driveway and can get accurate close-ups, but the color information from this camera adds dimension. Are the images tack-sharp from the dual-lens camera at night? No, they are not, but the images are adequate for my needs. Here is where the dual-lens camera will let you down: as an overview camera or primary zone camera. If you are monitoring the street, for instance, or some other wide-open space, I think the 5442 would be a better choice. Moving images in the "sweet spot" for the lens are going to be few, but mounted at a location where you know the target will be crossing the "happy zone" for this camera will work well. I'm also looking forward to someone reviewing the N45DUD2. Sounds like a good collection of lenses from 2.8 on up.

Attachments

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have a thumpin garage, but that PTZ is so nice. Great location and I am sure it delivers awesome images.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You have a thumpin garage, but that PTZ is so nice. Great location and I am sure it delivers awesome images.
I absolutely love the PTZ. Every morning when I review footage from the cameras I find new things that happened over night. The tracking ability of that camera is well worth the cost. Nothing strange about someone carrying a tv or computer monitor down my driveway at 1:20AM, right? Ha ha

Attachments

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the 5442 would be a better choice.
Given the price of entry, and that you cant get a 3.6mm or 6mm lens yet, you are probably right. The only place that camera would be useful is the front porch, and the 5442's I have there go colour when the sensor lights come on anyway. I've decided to go with very bright floodlights that come on when triggered by Blue Iris AI. That will force the 5442's into colour.

I absolutely love the PTZ.
So do I, yet the minister for war, finance and entertainment thinks they are "ugly".

Redbone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trialing a Dahua IP Cam with active deterance. Setup to flash red / green lights on motion but can not get feature to work. Is there a preferred encoding that is required as my cam offers 3 type including A.I?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've just got to say that the IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2 is the most amazing camera I have ever installed. I received mine today, and Andy was kind enough to send me the updated firmware this evening. Here is a screen capture of the IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2 on the left (my front door) and a IPC-5442T-ZE on the right (walkway from the door leading out to the street)at 8:54PM. It is REALLY dark outside, yet it produces a color image, and I don't even have my porch lights turned on. Wow!View attachment 133369
Glad you like it

Reaction score
The versions with the matching lenses vs the mis-matched lenses is considerably different. I made the shift to the newer version after only having the original for a month. Was well worth it.

R7r7

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have a comparison between the two? Or what is the improvement you saw? I'm tempted to upgrade my v1 camera

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Installed the IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2 at a temporary location to check the FOV at 3.6mm. That some location has two other existing Dahua cameras using IR and B/W for night viewing.

One side of the porch is illuminated with 3000K white light. The other side is basically dark. It is interesting that when a person was in the FOV that the white light side of the person was in color while the dark side was in B/W and IR.

An nice pus for the 5449.....