Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-PFW5849-A180-E2 - Dual Lens 180 Degree Full Color 4K (8MP Stitched) Camera

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All, due to YouTube’s funkiness when it comes to spatial conforming, non-standard resolution etc, I thought I would post a simple pic here as well. On the left you will see the full blown 4096 x 1800. On the right, I spatially conformed the video (for this snapshot) to 5120 x 1440 on the timeline. I then cropped the video just to this so you can see my side by side in both resolutions. YES I know that spatially conforming a 4096 x 1800 to 5120 x 1440 will result in image degradation as what I’m doing here is basically upscaling (I would never advocate for this but am all for oversampling on larger sensors and downscaling images such as 6k --> 4K, I digress) BUT at least wanted to show you how distortion looks based on resolution etc. In the turret video I will be looking to get creative with YouTube and forcefully pushing the 4096 x 1800 for the day and night samples, we’ll see how that goes (especially as YouTube itself will push to 4K standard resolutions) and will keep you all updated as usual.

4096 x 1800 vs 5120 x 1440 Cropped.jpg

While I’m discussing this, in regards to 4K in general there are of course 2 standard resolutions used, 3840 x 2160 and 4096 x 2160, While there are other non standardized versions, going up to 2560 (or a 16:10 aspect ratio) on the vertical, those are less widely used. It’s worth noting that of the 2 standardized 4K resolutions neither Dahua nor Hikvision are implementing those or in fact any combination of the other non-standardized 4K resolutions ! Dahua comes close to DCI 4K Cinescope Cropped (2.39:1 aspect ratio) which is 4096 x 1716 resolution but again, neither are conforming to any widely adopted standard here. In fact it seems as if each company is instead looking to align to the more loose CEA UHD standards which mention terms such as ‘minimum requirements’ and ‘or larger’

Some fun facts about these implementations:

• Dahua is an approx 9:4 aspect ratio (width is 2.276 times great than the height)
  • Hikvision is an approx 32:9 aspect ratio (width is 3.556 times greater than the height)\
  • Both are operating on a similar 7.37 MP total resolution
Just thought I would share that since we’re discussing the aspect ratios and resolutions in relation to these 180 cameras.

In summary, while both resolutions can work, thats not to say 1 may not appear more flattering and natural to the eye but a) neither are standards and b) neither lead to poor end results, just have to be prepared for some distortion.

In the meantime a quick teaser short (never made one before :) ) as I get ready to capture the shorter turret samples and comparison to another camera - Coming Soon Dahua 5849 A180 Turret Test #Shorts

HTH

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All, quick update on the SD card issue (frame dropped recordings) that I mentioned. I've been able to fault isolate this consistently and it is 100% related to the E-PTZ function and its impact on overall system resources on the camera in certain configurations. I've documented this and handed it over to Dahua engineering for further work along with my recommendations on how to fix

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All
As promised, below is the day time test of the new turret version of this camera with a comparison against..........a...........wait for it..............Color4K-T in 3.6mm. I was able to beat the YouTube conformity algorithm so you should now see full native res, without letterboxing as this was how I captured, edited and exported, kept in ProRes all the way through. Now that doesn't mean that YouTube doesn't do its funky crap in trying to confirm to 2160p BUT critically, no letterboxing taking away from overall image capture.

I'm moving to the night time edit next but I do have to say, so far I'm a fan of this turret. For its size and performance it's hard to beat. I'll even go as far to say that in my testing it personally has an edge over the bullet cam version.

Take a look and remember to select full 4K (yes even if it's YouTube's conformed 4K) ;)

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For its size ...... it's hard to beat.
Can you take some photos of this turret version beside the other single lens turret you had?
That looks incredibly small. Easily something that wouldn't look too big on a house.

I've recently purchased a 180deg camera that has 4 lenses on it and the thing is the size of a soccer ball.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you take some photos of this turret version beside the other single lens turret you had?
That looks incredibly small. Easily something that wouldn't look too big on a house.

I've recently purchased a 180deg camera that has 4 lenses on it and the thing is the size of a soccer ball.
Yes this really is small as I show in the intro. Very unobtrusive, yet very powerful.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
  • Dahua is an approx 9:4 aspect ratio (width is 2.276 times great than the height)
  • Hikvision is an approx 32:9 aspect ratio (width is 3.556 times greater than the height)\
  • Both are operating on a similar 7.37 MP total resolution
Considering 16:9 is pretty much the defacto agreed viewing standard these days for tv's and monitors, it doen't make any sense to me for manufacturers to deviate from this aspect ratio.

BenM

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the time and effort you put into these reviews Wildcat, really appreciate it.
Can I suggest that at the beginning of your videos you show a chart with all the technical specs and several pictures of what components are included, also at the end a text summary of your thoughts of the camera.
Merry Xmas and thanks again.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the time and effort you put into these reviews Wildcat, really appreciate it.
Can I suggest that at the beginning of your videos you show a chart with all the technical specs and several pictures of what components are included, also at the end a text summary of your thoughts of the camera.
Merry Xmas and thanks again.
Thanks for the kind words and feedback. When I do a separate product intro video I generally cover the tech specs then but you’re right, this absolutely wouldn’t hurt and could be a benefit to all by having the specs even on the testing type of videos.

I do feature findings in the videos as you’ve seen but generally leave my wrap up summaries to posting here on the forum so I can go into more detail (will be one coming for this cam) .That however does leave a gap for those that are only watching the videos so absolutely will consider this as well.

Merry Christmas to you as well and appreciate you watching the reviews and the feedback !

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can the 4K-T180 use PFA137 Junction Box as well? It is listed on the Accessories page.

BTW Is there a IR version of this camera?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, can use the PFA137, i think also can work with PFA122, maybe @Wildcat_1 can make some checking for us.
The camera is a full color model, so will never have a IR version.

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to turn off the IVS rule so the boxes don't show up in playback? It's not where it used to be with the new GUI.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use with a PFA-130 and a PFA-122 although I prefer with PFA-122 so you can use my quick switch trick :)
The PFB-203W also seems to fit the IPC-Color4K-T. Would there be any issues with using it if the screw holes line up?