Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Tried. Just makes it worse. lol Exposure compensation really seems to do nothing at all. Gain does obviously but lowering it just makes the dark areas larger and darker with not much effect on the center. Understand very hard to make suggestions without seeing and trying things real time. But not worth bothering with now. I'm still just playing to learn the cam. Which has been useful.

Based on what I've seen I think that I'm going to end up moving it to another location so that I'm shooting more out and over a wider area vs down which will help with the hot spot effect if I do want to use the illuminators. More likely I'll just use external lighting but need to change what I have now. It's wayyyy too bright. Even a 5442 that I have looking at the same area switches to color with that on. Don't want it that bright out there all the time. Need something that I can dim way down as you did and control remotely.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Tried. Just makes it worse. lol Exposure compensation really seems to do nothing at all. Gain does obviously but lowering it just makes the dark areas larger and darker with not much effect on the center. Understand very hard to make suggestions without seeing and trying things real time. But not worth bothering with now. I'm still just playing to learn the cam. Which has been useful.

Based on what I've seen I think that I'm going to end up moving it to another location so that I'm shooting more out and over a wider area vs down which will help with the hot spot effect if I do want to use the illuminators. More likely I'll just use external lighting but need to change what I have now. It's wayyyy too bright. Even a 5442 that I have looking at the same area switches to color with that on. Don't want it that bright out there all the time. Need something that I can dim way down as you did and control remotely.
Yes external is definitely what I would recommend then throw in a dimmer and dial in as you want. Control the light, dial in the FOV and enjoy the benefits of what this cam can bring from the scene even with little light. Enjoy @Mike A. and feel free to DM with any questions or if I can assist when you move location.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is an example of the HFW-5894 at night without using the camera's built in white LED illumination. The ambient light in the image is from two sources. One the corner street light (4000K) and two garage carriage lights at 5000K (60 watt LED bulbs dimmed to 45%) on the garage far left and right.

View attachment 115707

The image is reduced in size, in PhotoShop, with no other corrections as the original is 5 megs in size. The shutter on the 5894 is set at "Customized Range" 2 ms or 1/500 second which works well in producing clear images of moving vehicles crossing the driveway at night.

The goal is to have, as natural as possible, roadway lighting for vehicle color ID. If selecting auto WB, the camera keys on the 5000K lamps with the road becoming overly yellow.

The solution is to use "Regional Custom" to select an area that is illuminated by the 4000K street lamp. That location is a small area across the road. That location will have to be changed when the seasons change.

View attachment 115708

Manual WB could also be used and was tried. However, once set, the WB is fixed regardless of change in ambient color temperature during shifts of outside lighting. i.e. overly blue during switch from night to sunup.

The camera is switched from "Full Time Day" mode to "Full Time Night" mode using an HTTP URL. Switching from day to night does not use the built in "Schedule" as this setting would require daily updates due to seasonal changes in sunset and sunrise times. (i.e. 40 minutes per week)

I use night settings 24/7 in my Color4K-X camera. At night I employ a dusk to dawn single light bulb, which works great. For WB I too used the custom regional setting, and played with until I found a patch of snow which seemed to create a good balance, whether day/sun or night/bulb.

These cameras are definitely counter-intuitive, as someone here once mentioned to me long ago. Experimenting seems paramount as every environment and case use vary.

Thanamite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got a number of color4k-X cameras from EmpireTech Andy and I am very happy with them. The cameras are simply amazing in resolution, low-light sensitivity and even WDR.

They came with their own custom firmware which works well:
However I wonder what will happen if I ever try to install the official Dahua firmware:
Can I use that, will the camera spit out the official firmware, or will it get bricked? And if I can switch to the official firmware, will it then accept the original color-4k custom firmware?

The point is, what if the color-4k firmware stops getting updated and Dehua's official firmware is updated more often and gets better? [Edit: now for example, the ConfigTool zip file that would make custom firmware upgrades is not opening up]

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got a number of color4k-X cameras from EmpireTech Andy and I am very happy with them. The cameras are simply amazing in resolution, low-light sensitivity and even WDR.

They came with their own custom firmware which works well:
However I wonder what will happen if I ever try to install the official Dahua firmware:
Can I use that, will the camera spit out the official firmware, or will it get bricked? And if I can switch to the official firmware, will it then accept the original color-4k custom firmware?

The point is, what if the color-4k firmware stops getting updated and Dehua's official firmware is updated more often and gets better?
You can update it with Dahua firmware just fine, but then you get what is on that firmware and it overwrites the firmware that you currently have.

However, Andy consistently has better firmware than what Dahua publishes, so no real reason to use Dahua firmware unless you simply want the camera GUI to say Dahua lol.....

Dahua rarely updates their firmware....Andy's is always better and more updates...

When you have been here long enough, you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provided that to Andy for sale before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site. And the kicker is, we are not Dahua's target market - it is the professional installers...

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
@Thanamite
As one becomes more accustomed to this site, the people that are helping with the FW in Andy's cams,
are taken from this site via ANDY !

It is like going into one of those fancy restaurants where they know you as family! Menu, they make it for US off menu.
People HERE test, evaluate and make recommendations "back to headquarters" .
So, this is one of the "ground floors". Start reading to get to the top!

Thanamite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can update it with Dahua firmware just fine, but then you get what is on that firmware and it overwrites the firmware that you currently have.
When you have been here long enough, you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website...
Look at the threads here...
That is very good. Thanks for the reply. I find most discussions here super useful and I plan to spend a lot more time on the forum. It is addictive really :)

Thanamite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Thanamite
As one becomes more accustomed to this site, the people that are helping with the FW in Andy's cams,
are taken from this site via ANDY !

It is like going into one of those fancy restaurants where they know you as family! Menu, they make it for US off menu.
People HERE test, evaluate and make recommendations "back to headquarters" .
So, this is one of the "ground floors". Start reading to get to the top!
I already replaced many of my ancient Mobotix M24M with color4K-X from Andy and moved to Blue Iris at the same time. I doubt I would have invested the time and money if this forum hadn't made me confident that I was doing the right thing. Sure enough, my new setup is like comparing a Porsche to a bicycle. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will mention, FWIW.... for the 4K-X cameras, Andy's Sep2021 firmware, and the the Nov 5, 2021 firmware that Andy has been offering to people on a BETA basis (I think it's the same as the official Dahua release in this case, but I could be wrong?), so far hasn't been all that great for me personally (YMMV). I am still getting IVS "Human" false positives for the following: a) Deer, b) Turkeys, c) Raccoons, d) Cats, e) a SnowPlow on the front of a truck being recognized as a Human, etc. I've been saving all my videos/false positives for @EMPIRETECANDY or someone like @Wildcat_1 to review in a separate (future) post I'll make when I've collected more data... but it's been a little frustrating.

EDIT: I know the false positives aren't my views or camera heights or angles, etc. @wittaj has throroughly reviewed my setups as well.

Last edited:

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I should've asked my question in this thread instead of starting my own. Is there a turret style of this camera with the same large 1/1.2" sensor?

integlikewhoa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using blueiris and I can hear audio fine, but what settings do i need to get this came to be able to talk back through the speaker that's built in the camera?

Thanks,

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using blueiris and I can hear audio fine, but what settings do i need to get this came to be able to talk back through the speaker that's built in the camera?

Thanks,
A couple of things.

First you have to manually override what the Find/Inspect finds for main and substream:

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif

And change the 0 to 1 for the substream

Second, the two-way audio only works from the main console itself, not over RDP (not sure how you are accessing it)

Third, UI3 does not support two-way talk, but the paid BI app does.

integlikewhoa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm accessing it using the BI Official app on Andriod.

Not sure what you ment on "Not over RDP"

Tried the above and still doesn't work. what is all the audio settings supposed to be in both the camera and BI settings.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
RDP means it will not work over Remote Desktop if you are logging into the console remotely.

Mine are all default audio settings in the camera and BI, with the exception of the above for main and substream.

I forgot to mention you need to change the make and model too:

1643499015056.png

Try that or Dahua and Mainstream RTSP

In the BI app, make sure that MIC permissions are given to the BI app.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I will mention, FWIW.... for the 4K-X cameras, Andy's Sep2021 firmware, and the the Nov 5, 2021 firmware that Andy has been offering to people on a BETA basis (I think it's the same as the official Dahua release in this case, but I could be wrong?), so far hasn't been all that great for me personally (YMMV). I am still getting IVS "Human" false positives for the following: a) Deer, b) Turkeys, c) Raccoons, d) Cats, e) a SnowPlow on the front of a truck being recognized as a Human, etc. I've been saving all my videos/false positives for @EMPIRETECANDY or someone like @Wildcat_1 to review in a separate (future) post I'll make when I've collected more data... but it's been a little frustrating.

EDIT: I know the false positives aren't my views or camera heights or angles, etc. @wittaj has throroughly reviewed my setups as well.
Feel free to DM me @JesseSR if you haven't already sent one over and you and I can touch base

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Surprised you are seeing audio issues. I run AAC 16k on multiple units and output is very usable. Just make sure noise filter is off and set volumes to about 90% max and generally you should have good results.
Thanks for the advice. I was able to substantially improve my audio quality by turning off the noise filter, and decreasing the max to 85%.

Zak

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know where in EU these IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED cameras are available as cheap as possible.

The cameras must be Dahua branded genuine international versions. The local dealers here in Finland are selling this model with extraordinary high prices which are out of this world and in addition they need to order these for me, no stock. I need 4 pcs of these. I have understood from different sources that street prices in EU/US could be as low as something like 150€ (without VAT) with small selling margins meaning that the seller is concentrating on volumes and market share rather than ripping off a few loyal idiot corporate customers. The cameras need to be original Dahua branded cameras with full warranty and able to normally upgrade official Dahua multilanguage firmwares.

It seems to me that most dealers are security companies and want to sell projects and if I just want cameras there is a hefty margin (like 300%+). I just need cameras. I have CAT7 cabling and 10pcs of normal IR cameras now and want to replace some with Full-color models. All are for my home real estate usage. There seems to be more and more junkies and "communists" sneaking around and stealing everything that is not securely bolted to huge concrete blocks.

Someone said here that to get the best prices I need register as reseller (or alike) to Dahua Europe. I just could not find how. I have a company which I could use for this purpose too. But just dunno how.

I know Andy from China is offering this in Amazon/Aliexpress but they are non-branded cameras with non-official (hacked?) firmwares. Unfortunately in my mind in that case they are not future-proof enough for me.