Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

i6jm

n3wb
Reaction score
All the features work perfectly. I use the Dahua Config Tool which is a free download to initially set up the camera. I have not tried plug and play with the Dahua cameras or the Hikvision cameras for that matter in a number of years. There is a difference between the 4mm and the 2.8mm in my Hikvision 4k cameras but it is not that big. I do not have a 2.8mm Dahua camera to compare to my 4mm Dahua camera. Here are a couple of pictures from my Hikvision cameras. Top picture is 2.8mm and the bottom picture is 4.0mm. These are both 4K cameras.

View attachment 141293
View attachment 141294
Thank you

Since you assured me according to your experience that features of
(DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S) NVR like recording 4k and 265 or 265+ and stream in high quality 4K, motion detection (basic smart event,human car.. etc) It will work fine, I will buy the camera

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you

Since you assured me according to your experience that features of
(DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S) NVR like recording 4k and 265 or 265+ and stream in high quality 4K, motion detection (basic smart event,human car.. etc) It will work fine, I will buy the camera
I do not use the motion detection (basic smart event,human car.. etc) , so I cannot comment on that.

i6jm

n3wb
Reaction score
I do not use the motion detection (basic smart event,human car.. etc) , so I cannot comment on that.
Can you try the smart event feature only if you allow, this feature appears while watching playback, if you press smart event, there will be a red color on seekbar, which means that an event has been recorded.
see picture

Attachments

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All

Please forgive me for asking basic questions. I currently have reolink cams with their nvr.

I'm thinking of buying this camera for my driveway which is a very low light area other then street lights.

May I ask

1. Does the camera have Human and Vehicle detection
2. How's the accuracy of the notification? Any false alarms?
3. Is the camera plug and play (use dahua app and just use default settings till I get comfortable and tweak/play around with the setting?)

Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This will blow Reolink out of the water LOL.

Yes it has human and vehicle detection.

Mine is 100%. I have had zero false alarms. Field of view and settings play a big role in that.

Yes, but you don't want to run default settings.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What kind of settings does one usually "tweak" to get the optimal performance out of the camera? I'm assuming you can tweak the settings via the web GUI for the camera?

Reason why I'm looking for a camera that works well in low light is because my neighbour had their car stolen in the middle of the night. My camera caught it but couldn't ID the suspect because it was too "fuzy" and low quality. lol

Right now my plan is to put an sd card in and record when there is motion. Once I confirmed that I like the camera, I'll later do more research & upgrade to nvr for 24/7 recording.

I tried to search via youtube to see if there is any tutorial for basic tutorial setup but couldn't find any. Maybe I'm not using the right words.

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, they are settings that are tweaked in the camera web GUI.

Keep in mind that even though it is a great camera and will blow away the Reolinks, EVERY camera IDENTIFY distance is determined by the focal length.

This is a great camera to IDENTIFY at 15 feet or so and OBSERVE at 40 feet or so. So a middle of the night perp stealing a car from 40 feet away will not be able to IDENTIFY with the camera.

Focal length is more important than MP and sometimes 2MP is the better option. See this thread on the importance of focal length for IDENTIFY purposes:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just remember as well. It's more important for you to protect your car than to protect your neighbours.

IT's very good to want to help your neighbour, but ulitmately it may come down to a choice between protecting yourself or him. He always has the option of buying his own system having seen yours.

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All

Please forgive me for asking basic questions. I currently have reolink cams with their nvr.

I'm thinking of buying this camera for my driveway which is a very low light area other then street lights.

May I ask

1. Does the camera have Human and Vehicle detection
2. How's the accuracy of the notification? Any false alarms?
3. Is the camera plug and play (use dahua app and just use default settings till I get comfortable and tweak/play around with the setting?)

Thank you

@dubber

I just came across your post as I just compared the human and vehicle detection between a Reolink RL-811A and an Amcrest IP8M-2796EW-AI (link below) and came across this Dahua review thread searching on the Dahua N85EFN2 (US model #). With Amcrest being made by Dahua, I am now HIGHLY skeptical of the Dahua's human and vehicle detection performance. Since I haven't found any other comparisons of human and vehicle performance out there, I'm also skeptical of anyone claiming how good the human and vehicle detection of their particular cameras are. Unless they are sitting out there watching people and cars walk by for hours day and night, counting and logging the time for each vehicle and person, how would they even know if the number of misses? What would one rather have, a false alarm once in a while, or a huge miss rate where there's no detection or alert sent at all?

With this, along with the bugs in the Dahua camera, I think I'm going to pull the trigger and go Reolink RLC-8111A for around the properties for now. I need notifications whenever there are people on my properties without misses or false alarms. Maybe down the road I'll grab one of these Dahua cameras and / or the competing Hikvision DS-2CD2T87G2 to test and compare the human and vehicle detection with the Reolink RLC811A.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use both BI motion detection and ONVIF from Dahua cameras. Both work very reliably. Selecting Reolink will result in wasted time, effort and money. You will find many, many, thread here of others who have found that out the hard way and wasted their time, effort and money.

The basic reason you find no comparisons like you're looking for is that no one buys Reolink if they're serious about video surveillance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@dubber

I just came across your post as I just compared the human and vehicle detection between a Reolink RL-811A and an Amcrest IP8M-2796EW-AI (link below) and came across this Dahua camera review after coming across this Dahua N85EFN2 (US model #). With Amcrest being made by Dahua, I am now HIGHLY skeptical of the Dahua's human and vehicle performance. Since I haven't found any other comparisons of human and vehicle performance out there, I'm also skeptical of anyone claiming how good the human and vehicle detection of their particular cameras are. Unless they are sitting out there watching people and cars walk by for hours day and night, how would they even know?

With this, along with the bugs in the Dahua camera, I think I'm going to pull the trigger and go Reolink RLC-8111A for around the properties for now. I need notifications whenever there are people on my properties without misses or false alarms. Maybe down the road I'll grab one of the Dahua cameras and / or the competing Hikvision DS-2CD2T87G2 to test.

In my case (and others as well) it is called we tested it.

I have multiple cameras seeing the same area when I tested FOR WEEKS - I used BI motion detection on one, camera AI on another, Deepstack on another, and BI hotspot on another, plus all recording 24/7, so I know how well each one performs after reviewing all the data.

You are also naive or mistaken if you think one camera can be the do all/see all/be all.

NOBODY here would rely on one camera to notify them if someone is on their property.

A well-balanced system will have areas covered by two or more cameras. This is so in the event one camera would miss (it happens or maybe camera bugged out for a moment). At night, clothing, weather, etc. can impact the range of AI.

I get multiple alerts if anyone is on my property. That way if they somehow get past one AI they won't get past them all.

Plus you don't try to do too much with one camera field of view. As I said in your other thread, get a mixture of cameras, each utilizing their strong suit to meet your needs. If all you have are reolink cameras, I assure you, and your testing confirms, they suck at night.

Let's hope something doesn't happen and you aren't home and all you can tell the police is what time the perp came by but not identify with those reolinks....we have a lot of threads here where that has happened.

Last edited:

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@dubber

I just came across your post as I just compared the human and vehicle detection between a Reolink RL-811A and an Amcrest IP8M-2796EW-AI (link below) and came across this Dahua review thread searching on the Dahua N85EFN2 (US model #). With Amcrest being made by Dahua, I am now HIGHLY skeptical of the Dahua's human and vehicle detection performance. Since I haven't found any other comparisons of human and vehicle performance out there, I'm also skeptical of anyone claiming how good the human and vehicle detection of their particular cameras are. Unless they are sitting out there watching people and cars walk by for hours day and night, counting and logging the time for each vehicle and person, how would they even know if the number of misses? What would one rather have, a false alarm once in a while, or a huge miss rate where there's no detection or alert sent at all?

With this, along with the bugs in the Dahua camera, I think I'm going to pull the trigger and go Reolink RLC-8111A for around the properties for now. I need notifications whenever there are people on my properties without misses or false alarms. Maybe down the road I'll grab one of these Dahua cameras and / or the competing Hikvision DS-2CD2T87G2 to test and compare the human and vehicle detection with the Reolink RLC811A.

I actually had a hands on experience with reolink quality at night. There was a car that was left parked on the streets for 1 week. Later we found out that it was a stolen car and was left in front of our house. The police came knocking on the door asking if my reolink camera caught it. It did caught the guy parking and walking away. Unfortunately all I can provide to the police is time the guy parked the car and left. The image was so blurry, It was useless (in my opinion)

I am currently using that reolink camera (RLC-822a) which is soon going to be replaced with the 4k-T

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
@dubber

With Amcrest being made by Dahua, I am now HIGHLY skeptical of the Dahua's human and vehicle detection performance. Since I haven't found any other comparisons of human and vehicle performance out there, I'm also skeptical of anyone claiming how good the human and vehicle detection of their particular cameras are. Unless they are sitting out there watching people and cars walk by for hours day and night, counting and logging the time for each vehicle and person, how would they even know if the number of misses?
Well, I have three monitors at my desk usually with BI/UI3 up on one as well as a few other tablets around. So I am kind of sitting there watching most of the time. And as @wittaj says above, I have multiple cams watching the same areas so they'd all have to miss. I may not see absolutely every human/vehicle that comes into view but a very high percentage. While I have seen a few falses now and then, I can say that I've never seen any of mine miss a person or vehicle. No I don't see any of the other issues that you describe re having to be close or moving quickly.

If the Amcrest doesn't perform that well, then there must be some difference between it and the better Dahuas or something wrong with your setup.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Speaking as the chief-whiner that the high end Dahua cameras won't detect animals, I'm confident in telling you that the human/vehicle detection works very well. I don't know if this would carry over to the Amcrest cameras or not. I've got 3 different cameras capturing people and vehicles on my shared driveway, and if there are any misses, all 3 cameras are in perfect agreement on what they do and don't detect. The 4k-x really impresses me on this, capturing itty-bitty people and vehicles a couple hundred feet from the camera.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't rely on motion only. For me 24/7 recording is more important. If capturing someone/something is very important I would setup PIRs in places you want captured back to an alarm system that sends push notices. You can always go back and search 24/7 footage. I got a friend that even has sensors under his driveway, he has sensors all over his property :)

Speaking of Alarms, I have thoroughly enjoyed my Konnected Alarm these pass 5 years...

coltechaz

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m considering the Color4K-X Bullet for an application with subject distances ranging between 35-60 feet, so I was considering the 6mm lens on this camera. However, I’m questioning the accuracy and/or usability of the 6mm Close Focusing Distance specs on the Dahua datasheet which shows:

Lens Close Focus Identify Distance
------ ------------- ---------------
2.8mm 10.2 ft 27.2 ft

3.6mm 17.7 ft 39.4 ft

6mm 42.3 ft 54.5 ft

The Close Focus Distance of the 6mm seems too close to the DORI Identify Distance of 54.5 ft to provide much useful Depth of Field for real world use. Many people believe that Dahua’s DORI numbers are overly optimistic (apparently using ~65ppm), so they consider half the Dahua numbers to be a better real world estimate under night-time or adverse lighting conditions. So using a real world Identify Distance of "half" of 54.5 ft, there should be sufficient pixels to Identify a subject at 27.25 ft, but that evidently won’t be possible because the image will be blurry since it’s well inside the Close Focusing Distance of 42.3 ft. Doesn’t this mean that the 6mm version is pretty useless with the factory-delivered focus adjustment? Anybody have any good real world experiences to report with the 6mm lens on the Color4K-X or other 1/1.2” sensor camera?

coltechaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Couldn't find it with Google search but just found Wildcats July 6mm videos which seem to show Close Focus Distance of 6mm is closer to 30-32 ft which should work for my application. So I guess the Dahua datasheet CFD spec is too conservative.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
This is the 4k-x tonight with a half moon out. The road is about 400' away and during the day I can identify the make/model/color of the vehicles going by. This thing is just amazing! (The image IS totally black when there's no moon).
View attachment 141718
post a video with moving cars...