Wyze Cam v2 - Anyone Tested - $19.99 - good reviews!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone has tested this camera I came across during a google search, as it's ridiculously cheap - $19.99, 1080P and seem to have very good reviews:

WyzeCam: Buy Now $19.99

Definitely indoor only, but might be an alternative to the Hikvision cube.

Sounds interesting, especially given it's price and free cloud storage.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Just wondered if anyone had tried it.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like it's from the same OEM as the SPOT ISC5 and Xiaomi XiaoFang.
Don't know about the firmware, software and app of this one or the Spot, but for the Xiaomi it's terrible.
I'm not sure what the situation is today, but I think it's still the case the Xiaomi can't be used outside of China.

There are hacks however (search Google for "Fang Hacks") that disable the Chinese server/cloud thing, enable RTSP-stream etc.
I'm not sure if you can still install that hack but if you can; it's a pretty decent camera, especially with that price.

I have one of the first versions of the Xiaomi IP camera (the 2nd version 720p with IR) and I'm trying to get the alternative firmware, but I can't get it to work (yet).
Would love to use a cheap camera like this for temporary installs, like a baby camera or in a few weeks when we get new young chicks and install the camera in the chicken coop.

Reaction score
I have a V1 and like it. Nice little camera with a decent picture, especially for the price. Never had issues with the app. I would consider it more of a fun camera than a security camera though.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a V1 and like it. Nice little camera with a decent picture, especially for the price. Never had issues with the app. I would consider it more of a fun camera than a security camera though.
If I understand it, V1 is 720P instead of 1080P, is this correct?

Reaction score
V1 was 1080p as well.

What’s new in Wyze Cam v2:

• Motion Tagging technology detects and outlines motion in both live stream and replay modes.
  • The powerful new CMOS sensor provides even clearer images for both day and night vision.
  • Class-K audio power amplifier and a new audio chip that significantly reduces TDD interference and EMI.
  • A matte finish replaces the glossy finish for the original Wyze Cam to reduce reflection.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have one of the first versions of the Xiaomi IP camera (the 2nd version 720p with IR) and I'm trying to get the alternative firmware, but I can't get it to work (yet).
Would love to use a cheap camera like this for temporary installs, like a baby camera or in a few weeks when we get new young chicks and install the camera in the chicken coop.
Managed to get it working. Instead of formatting the microSD Card on the PC, I formatted the card trough the Mi Home app.

Now I have a nice 720p camera, with RTSP stream (usable with VLC and TinyCam Pro app).
Now I have to think about what to do with it. I can use it as a baby monitor and we have baby chicks on the way; I have decent wifi in the chicken coop so that's another use. :D

ScottWyze

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name is Scott and I am on the Wyze team.

I saw your thread and wanted to chime in to help answer any questions you all might have.
  • In regards to v1, v1 is also 1080p.
  • In regards to hardware, you are all correct that we have licensed the hardware from a manufacturer in China.
  • In regards to the software and firmware, we have built it from the ground up and plan to improve on it every day. Our most recent release has been our largest yet and has addressed many bugs and issues such as dramatically improving connection attempts as well as speeding up the app. We've also included some new features such as camera sorting as well as motion detection zones and motion sensitivity (just in case you don't want to get alerted every time your tree blows in the wind).
If there are more questions you guys might have please feel free to respond or reach out to us at support@wyzecam.com.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In regards to the software and firmware, we have built it from the ground up and plan to improve on it every day.
If it supported RTSP out of the box (vs. having to (what sounds like) load an unofficial firmware), I'd be able to use 2-3 of them around the house!

ScottWyze

n3wb
Reaction score
v2 is identical to v1 in that it has a Micro USB port on the rear of the camera to receive power. Therefore, it is not technically 'wireless' but we have seen some customers power Wyze Cam with a solar-powered portable battery pack.

We have also seen users integrate with TinyCam, a third party app, to stream the video on their PC desktops.

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
v2 is identical to v1 in that it has a Micro USB port on the rear of the camera to receive power. Therefore, it is not technically 'wireless' but we have seen some customers power Wyze Cam with a solar-powered portable battery pack.

We have also seen users integrate with TinyCam, a third party app, to stream the video on their PC desktops.
I don't suppose you could provide the RTSP settings, or even possibly install BlueIris and provide the exact ones you use to get it working in your lab?

For $25 its in "why not" price range. Something to stream your fish tank with or whatever. If the picture quality is good, wouldn't mind trying it :)

Benak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't suppose you could provide the RTSP settings, or even possibly install BlueIris and provide the exact ones you use to get it working in your lab?

For $25 its in "why not" price range. Something to stream your fish tank with or whatever. If the picture quality is good, wouldn't mind trying it :)
I've installed the hacked firmware on V2 and have been testing it with Blue Iris for several weeks. I have have fairly reliable results when connected to a dedicated access point.

Thread is here:
Wyze Cam - Usable with Blue Iris?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Benak, do you have any video to share? Be interesting to see some independent footage.

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've installed the hacked firmware on V2.
I'm going to give that a try.

I'm not impressed with the video quality. But for the $25 I paid I didn't expect to be. It's definitely usable though. Thing is, you can buy 4-6 of these for the price of 1 Hikvision Cube. Sometimes it's not so much quality video as having any video at all. Being able to flash open source firmware is a big plus at any price range.

The Wyze app is surprisingly decent. Well enough into "good enough" territory that I'm going to suggest my folks pick up a couple to stick in their outbuildings. These will do fine to let them know there's a snake in the hen house or anyone at all in the workshop. And they're about as easy to set up as I've seen. My folks need easy ;)

Benak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Benak, do you have any video to share? Be interesting to see some independent footage.
I quit playing with it for a bit but I can set it back up and get some footage posted... Just need free time

Reaction score
Anyone have a firmware image available? I'm interested in flashing Wyze firmware to an older XiaoFang cube just for shits, grins, and giggles.