Wyze Data Breach - email addresses, API Tokens, ssid's

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Twelve Security reports that Wyze has been breached and information leaked including email addresses, api tokens, ssid's etc

IPVM.com picks up on the story Wyze Massive Data Leak

Wyze - disputes some of ipvm's claims Alleged data breach 12-26-2019

Last edited:

Forte

n3wb
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm convinced this whole thing is a hoax. Wyze handling this under the assumption this was a real thing is a breath of fresh air, as they definitely seem to care a lot about this and shown that they are taking the accusation very seriously.

...but the source for this accusation, 12security, they look like a joke. The further you dig into "12security" the more sketchy it gets.

The website domain name was purchased earlier this year from Google Domains (whois.net shows it was created 2019-08-19T22:06:20Z), but the only 3 "articles" on it are all from December of this year, and the other two from before this Wyze one are just ranty, and aren't anything to help 12security's credibility.

Before today there isn't a single listing for this website in the internet archives, the only archives for this website are ones I generated today while researching the site.

The website is powered by Ghost, (Ghost: The #1 open source headless Node.js CMS) which isn't really an issue, lots of professional websites use Ghost, but it's not even been fully set up. The website has a lot of the default stuff still. There is no favicon for the site, the username for the blogposts is the default "ghost", the footer is still linked to the Ghost platform's social page and not their own, and the admin login url hasn't been changed like you'd expect a security expert to do to Ghost Admin which redirects to Ghost Admin.

The only social page that their footer points to that is their own is their twitter, Twelve Security (@SecurityTwelve) | Twitter which again, does not look like a real security researcher's twitter, and instead looks like a generic anti-china conspiracy account.
The website has a dedicated page for pricing of security consultation, and it's made in the most asshole way possible. "Twelve Security offers the following services. Prices are purposely posted here to intentionally antagonize any vendors/consultants who do not:" which is to me suspicious because it's the very same thing that people are pushing Wyze to pay for.

Their phone number listed, 210-929-6268, is a google voice / google fi phone number that has been put on do not disturb mode. Or at the very least, they're using the EXACT same recorded messages that Google voice / google fi uses. And Free Carrier Lookup - Find the carrier information for phone numbers - worldwide. verifies that both my google fi number, and their number show up as a T-Mobile number.

Their website advertises their "services" but does it in a very unorthodox and aggressive way, Services
Their domain is a Google Domains domain, that was only registered this year.

And the "article" that started this all, just read it for yourself. It doesn't follow the industry standard of first reporting the breach to the company to give them a chance to close the breach before making the public aware of it, that is done to protect users from the hackers who would go after Wyze's servers because of the alleged breach.

And that's just what I've been able to stumble across so far.

Dov Chodoff (in the FB Wyze group) also pointed out that their address listed on their site doesn't appear to be a real address Google Maps

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
Completely agree. 12security seems to be a one teenager company who knows how to use shodan service. He found an opened to public server with all that data and publicly disclosed that without any try to contact Wyze. Then he instead of telling Wyze found another media resource IPVM.com (very niche blog about IP cameras) to make more buzz.
Both 12security and IPVM.com strongly against China and there are a lot of Chinese people working for Wyze and they use some OEM part from China company.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Completely agree. 12security seems to be a one teenager company who knows how to use shodan service. He found an opened to public server with all that data and publicly disclosed that without any try to contact Wyze. Then he instead of telling Wyze found another media resource IPVM.com (very niche blog about IP cameras) to make more buzz.
Both 12security and IPVM.com strongly against China and there are a lot of Chinese people working for Wyze and they use some OEM part from China company.
@Forte IPVM was able to confirm the leak and found their email addresses were available for the world to see. Whatever you think of ipvm, there is no way that this was fabricated. To say it was a hoax is dishonest.
There is always reason to suspect china companies including hik, dahua....
This is simply another reason not to trust others with your data.

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
They get a $500/hour general consult rate, ouch!

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
@alexvas I enjoyed your quote about IPVM here:
> IPVM.com (almost died blog about IP cameras)

Also, your allegation there that:
> Those screenshots made by IPVM.

As @fenderman noted, this was not fabricated. And I shared privately and directly with Wyze records containing their company email addresses to help them validate / understand the leak.

Btw, are you now acknowledging this is a real leak?
He found an opened to public server with all that data

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
As @fenderman noted, this was not fabricated. And I shared privately and directly with Wyze records containing their company email addresses to help them validate / understand the leak.

Btw, are you now acknowledging this is a real leak?
But before contacting Wyze you and 12security (Dan) have already published a post, right? There is a good practice contacting manufacturers before disclosing an issue (Responsible disclosure - Wikipedia). And you know about that.

This is a leak. No doubt. One admin forgot to disable default access (5 min to fix that issue). There are 100 persons working for Wyze and they are growing constantly (from 0 to 100 for 2 years). Hard to control all of them.

However you have created a post right after you submitted a ticket to Wyze support (info from here [Updated 12-27-19] Data leak 12-26-2019) and put in the post public IP address and port number of elastic server available online for everyone. So for at least a couple hours that server was available with free data for everyone in the world. This is completely unprofessional.

BTW. I reversed engineered their Wyze cameras protocol and know personally Wyze founders. I see their attitude to data security. This is an isolated incident.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But before contacting Wyze you and 12security have already published a post, right? There is a good practice contacting manufacturers before disclosing an issue (Responsible disclosure - Wikipedia). And you know about that.

This is a leak. No doubt. One admin forgot to disable default access (5 min to fix that issue). There are 100 persons working for Wyze and they are growing constantly (from 0 to 100 for 2 years). Hard to control all of them.

However you have created a post right after you submitted a ticket to Wyze support (info from here [Updated 12-27-19] Data leak 12-26-2019) and put in the post public IP address and port number of elastic server available online for everyone. So for at least a couple hours that server was available with free data for everyone in the world. This is completely unprofessional.

BTW. I reversed engineered their Wyze cameras protocol and know personally Wyze founders. I see their attitude to data security. This is an isolated incident.
You went from completely agreeing with forte that it was a hoax, to they have too many employees to control - which is not a valid excuse. The bottom line is there was a breach and that is what was reported. As john noted, the information was already made public by others before his post. This again is why folk should not trust cloud services like wyze, ring, nest.

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
I haven't told this is a hoax. Check the thread.

fenderman, let's imagine you have your ipcamtalk.com and after some maintenance for some reason admin panel started visible for the whole world with some default passwords. Some guy (let's call it Dan) found it and instead of reporting that to you directly he just disclosed that information via social networks and sent a message to ipvm.com. You found that a couple hours later and a lot of info already been already downloaded by anyone.

Do you really think this is professional?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't told this is a hoax. Check the thread.

fenderman, let's imagine you have your ipcamtalk.com and after some maintenance for some reason admin panel started visible for the whole world with some default passwords. Some guy (let's call it Dan) found it and instead of reporting that to you directly he just disclosed that information via social networks and sent a message to ipvm.com. You found that a couple hours later and a lot of info already been already downloaded by anyone.

Do you really think this is professional?
I did check the thread. Post 3 after forte's post falsely claiming it was a hoax you wrote "completely agree". What are you agreeing with?
Again you are missing the point. IPVM only posted after it was already disclosed by 12 security. The information was already out there.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Having read all the articles on this, I can say Wyze is doing a great job being transparent on this. Many companies out there wouldn't have even acknowledged what happened, or would just follow legal advice to deny the breach altogether.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Having read all the articles on this, I can say Wyze is doing a great job being transparent on this. Many companies out there wouldn't have even acknowledged what happened, or would just follow legal advice to deny the breach altogether.
They could not deny a breach that was confirmed by independent sources.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
They could not deny a breach that was confirmed by independent sources.
I'm sure early on the situation was fluid and they were trying to figure out how bad it was. That, combined with bad legal advice is probably what was at play here. I'm assuming no real cyber program to speak of. Sounds like an opportunity there now to build one.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Twelve Security reports that Wyze has been breached and information leaked including email addresses, api tokens, ssid's etc

IPVM.com picks up on the story Wyze Massive Data Leak

Wyze - disputes some of ipvm's claims Alleged data breach 12-26-2019

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@Forte
I love when someone new posts a single response/post to a topic in such defending detail. Curious if you work for Wyze or who you know that works for Wyze.... #BiasedMuch

kroq83

n3wb
Reaction score
Got two camera for xmas and they will do the job as needed. Because I use a fake email and mine address is already on the net so I am not worry about it.