Yet Another Free Extension for Blue Iris Adding AI Object Dectection/Reduction in False Alarms/Enhanced Notification of Activity/On Guard

Sireone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For some reason I'm getting an MSVCR80.dll exception (below) when running On-Guard 1.4.4 on my Windows Server 2019 BlueIris server. Thoughts?

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 1/1/2021 1:13:11 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: neptune
Description:
Faulting application name: On Guard.exe, version: 0.1.0.0, time stamp: 0xf9e885e2
Faulting module name: MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.9554, time stamp: 0x5b6a5e49
Exception code: 0xc000000d
Fault offset: 0x0001477d
Faulting process id: 0x3ff0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6e069c37bc2e3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\On Guard\On Guard\On Guard.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9554_none_d08d6fa2442aa556\MSVCR80.dll
Report Id: 7bbee35f-1601-4d0e-bb20-af5ba02308c0
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you able to startup at all? Are you seeing anything wrong in the log file?
Sometimes exceptions are innocuous, sometimes fatal. I believe that the module you are referring to is just a standard distribution file for the .NET Framework. Since the app is written in .NET that doesn't help much.

I have not tested with Server computers since I don't have one. It is possible that it doesn't like having setup files saved in the user specific AppData folder.

If you can provide more information I'll take a look. Right now, not much to go on.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here. Not every file processed is listed in the log file. There are 3 classes of files (1) those without any objects found by DeepStack (picture above). They are not logged one way or another since there could be a whole lot of these. (2) those with objects, but those objects don't match any area definition. They are listed as not interesting. (3) those where the objects do match an area and are interesting.

Sireone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you able to startup at all? Are you seeing anything wrong in the log file?
Sometimes exceptions are innocuous, sometimes fatal. I believe that the module you are referring to is just a standard distribution file for the .NET Framework. Since the app is written in .NET that doesn't help much.

I have not tested with Server computers since I don't have one. It is possible that it doesn't like having setup files saved in the user specific AppData folder.

If you can provide more information I'll take a look. Right now, not much to go on.

Nope doesn't startup at all and errors out immediately after launch. I've also tried the install for Everyone (non-AppData) with the same results.
I will tell you that AI Tools (2.x) works perfectly on the same server. Needed the option to send alerts from the AI software as opposed to Blue Iris so I can see motion from actually people instead of trees.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope doesn't startup at all and errors out immediately after launch. I've also tried the install for Everyone (non-AppData) with the same results.
I will tell you that AI Tools (2.x) works perfectly on the same server. Needed the option to send alerts from the AI software as opposed to Blue Iris so I can see motion from actually people instead of trees.
I guess I'll assume for now that the problem is Windows Server related.

Could you try running it "As Administrator"? If that works that will give me something to go on. It is difficult to test without having WS here.

If that doesn't work it might be worth trying the run Setup.exe "As Administrator"

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have two guesses about what is happening:

1. The program is corrupt or didn't get installed with the necessary files.
2. The first thing that happens in the app is that I attempt to open/create the log file and/or create the OnGuard directory under: "users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\OnGuard". It seems very possible that there is a permissions issue that is preventing that from happening. Can you tell me if that directory exists at all? Does the log file "OnGuard.txt" exist under that directory?

Sorry, I know that you expect things to "just work". Unfortunately, without having a wide variety of computer configurations it is difficult to track down all possible issues. Also, it doesn't help that there is no paid QA staff and/or that the app hasn't been used by enough people to simulate that. I do expect to solve problems as they come up. I try not to just give up on any issue.

Sireone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have two guesses about what is happening:

1. The program is corrupt or didn't get installed with the necessary files.
2. The first thing that happens in the app is that I attempt to open/create the log file and/or create the OnGuard directory under: "users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\OnGuard". It seems very possible that there is a permissions issue that is preventing that from happening. Can you tell me if that directory exists at all? Does the log file "OnGuard.txt" exist under that directory?

Sorry, I know that you expect things to "just work". Unfortunately, without having a wide variety of computer configurations it is difficult to track down all possible issues. Also, it doesn't help that there is no paid QA staff and/or that the app hasn't been used by enough people to simulate that. I do expect to solve problems as they come up. I try not to just give up on any issue.
The only folder under Roaming is OnGuardDatabase with the SQL database and log file. No OnGuard folder nor the OnGuard.txt file.
Does this folder get created upon installation or successful launch?

Reaction score
out of curiosity... is there a reason to use OnGuard MTTQ for any alerts over using Blue Iris MTTQ for alerts?
BTW Ken...since I installed the SQL server when using v1.4.1, I have not seen those SQL errors.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only folder under Roaming is OnGuardDatabase with the SQL database and log file. No OnGuard folder nor the OnGuard.txt file.
Does this folder get created upon installation or successful launch?
That's helpful. Definitely things aren't getting close to started. I'm still guessing permissions aren't correct. It could be a an application thing, it could be a Windows thing, or it could be an anti-virus thing too. I'd still like you to try using "Run as Administrator" if you have the time.

The other thing I'm looking into is that the prerequisites included in the install. It is possible that you are missing some files. When the installer gets built it tries to figure out everything necessary to run the app. It doesn't always get it right. What I may do is give you an installer (not a "Release" installer) that includes everything I can think of.
out of curiosity... is there a reason to use OnGuard MTTQ for any alerts over using Blue Iris MTTQ for alerts?
BTW Ken...since I installed the SQL server when using v1.4.1, I have not seen those SQL errors.
You can use either/or IF you are using Blue Iris. However, On Guard can also be used with any IP/network camera that can output images to a directory. This includes 99% of cameras made within the last 5++ years. On Guard has access to details that Blue Iris doesn't. This includes the area, object type, confidence. Also, several people requested it!

It is good to hear your SQL problems are gone. I don't know what would have changed that made it better, but better is good!

Reaction score
That's helpful. Definitely things aren't getting close to started. I'm still guessing permissions aren't correct. It could be a an application thing, it could be a Windows thing, or it could be an anti-virus thing too. I'd still like you to try using "Run as Administrator" if you have the time.

The other thing I'm looking into is that the prerequisites included in the install. It is possible that you are missing some files. When the installer gets built it tries to figure out everything necessary to run the app. It doesn't always get it right. What I may do is give you an installer (not a "Release" installer) that includes everything I can think of.

You can use either/or IF you are using Blue Iris. However, On Guard can also be used with any IP/network camera that can output images to a directory. This includes 99% of cameras made within the last 5++ years. On Guard has access to details that Blue Iris doesn't. This includes the area, object type, confidence. Also, several people requested it!

It is good to hear your SQL problems are gone. I don't know what would have changed that made it better, but better is good!
True... some folks may not be using Blue Iris or just simply want to bypass it.

Reaction score
I have Blue Iris MQTT 100% operational. Afraid to upgrade OnGuard past 1.4.1 cause it also works 100% right now :)
I only have it triggering cameras on 'person' only so will probably use BI's MQTT for time being.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris MQTT 100% operational. Afraid to upgrade OnGuard past 1.4.1 cause it also works 100% right now :)
I only have it triggering cameras on 'person' only so will probably use BI's MQTT for time being.
I can't claim that On Guard won't change. It has changed a couple of times today. I do expect to clean things up and add features. With that comes the risk of bugs. Event when I try to clean things up to minimize bugs, bugs can/will happen. It would be different if I had a paid QA team. But, since I'm not being paid I have you rely on you guys.

Reaction score
2021.01.01 22:24:05:2850 - 1 interesting objects found in file: D:\AI\AI_Front.20210101_222404384.jpg
person confidence 0.99 with a overlap of 100.
yet...does not send notification.
have noticed that a couple times of 1 interesting object with high confidence, but does not send a notification.
Is it automatic when 1 or more interesting object, I should see a notification sent in the log?

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2021.01.01 22:24:05:2850 - 1 interesting objects found in file: D:\AI\AI_Front.20210101_222404384.jpg
person confidence 0.99 with a overlap of 100.
yet...does not send notification.
have noticed that a couple times of 1 interesting object with high confidence, but does not send a notification.
Is it automatic when 1 or more interesting object, I should see a notification sent in the log?
That may be related to a couple of things I've fixed in the last couple of days. There were definite problems in that area. We're all the way up to 1.4.6.

That said, you should also use the Analyze button to make sure it is actually matching your criteria. That's what it's there for. There have been several times I've been surprised at what I've seen.

Reaction score
just tested it again. Exited OnGuard and restarted. Captured the 1st run correctly. Waited 3-4 min. Tried just now, exact footsteps as #1. Says 0 interesting objects while I have 0.99 person red box around me.
Ok...I will upgrade :) 1.4.6 here i come!

Reaction score
That may be related to a couple of things I've fixed in the last couple of days. There were definite problems in that area. We're all the way up to 1.4.6.

That said, you should also use the Analyze button to make sure it is actually matching your criteria. That's what it's there for. There have been several times I've been surprised at what I've seen.
looks like I had same issue as Vettester.
I took a look at github, I only see 1.4.5 are you working on 1.4.6 as we speak?

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looks like I had same issue as Vettester.
I took a look at github, I only see 1.4.5 are you working on 1.4.6 as we speak?
I was in the middle of putting it up there and got sidetracked. You are probably better off waiting until tomorrow. There were problems I added in 1.4.5 that I'm fixing right now. If you want you can download it by just downloading the Setup directory rather than going through a Release. You can be my Beta tester.

Reaction score
i'll help out tomorrow. gotta figure out if can use IVS tripwires/intrusion zones instead of BI motion detection. Camera work is never done :)

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was in the middle of putting it up there and got sidetracked. You are probably better off waiting until tomorrow. There were problems I added in 1.4.5 that I'm fixing right now. If you want you can download it by just downloading the Setup directory rather than going through a Release. You can be my Beta tester.
One thing I added that might be helpful is a new menu item. Under Tools/Test Images is the capability to send down 7 random street scene pictures to all cameras. The chances are good that they should match your areas. It avoids having to walk in front of the camera, etc,,

Reaction score
One thing I added that might be helpful is a new menu item. Under Tools/Test Images is the capability to send down 7 random street scene pictures to all cameras. The chances are good that they should match your areas. It avoids having to walk in front of the camera, etc,,
was going to ask if a test pic was possible. Am getting tired of walking down the stairs and outside to test things. Wonder what the neighbors thought I was doing.