Yet Another Free Extension for Blue Iris Adding AI Object Dectection/Reduction in False Alarms/Enhanced Notification of Activity/On Guard

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
was going to ask if a test pic was possible. Am getting tired of walking down the stairs and outside to test things. Wonder what the neighbors thought I was doing.
That was my daily exercise, up and down stairs about 50 times a day.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've released 1.4.6 at: Release On Guard Security Assistant Version 1.4.6 · Ken98045/On-Guard
This is primarily a bug fix release for bugs in 1.4.4 and 1.4.5. However, there are some minor enhancements.
(1) The outgoing email server settings would fail without a good explanation if your sending email address did not have the @someSite.com type extension added to your user name (must be John.Smith@someSite.com rather than John.Smith). While not fully fixed the failure is checked for and explained. Please let me know if there are cases where your email server does not work like this.
(2) Some MQTT settings were clarified and enhanced a bit. {Object} -- the object type -- can now be placed in a custom payload.
(3) The state of the MQTT buttons were not being saved in the area properly (1.4.4).
(4) Camera monitoring has been corrected. In versions 1.4.1 to 1.4.5 had some problems where the camera wasn't restarted correctly after you went into Camera Settings.
(5) Added some logging for motion stop events so you can track them.
(6) Fixed some problems where motion events following the first notification were not reported properly. This seems very stable now.

Sireone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's helpful. Definitely things aren't getting close to started. I'm still guessing permissions aren't correct. It could be a an application thing, it could be a Windows thing, or it could be an anti-virus thing too. I'd still like you to try using "Run as Administrator" if you have the time.

The other thing I'm looking into is that the prerequisites included in the install. It is possible that you are missing some files. When the installer gets built it tries to figure out everything necessary to run the app. It doesn't always get it right. What I may do is give you an installer (not a "Release" installer) that includes everything I can think of.
Tried running as Administrator as well as updating to .NET framework 4.8 (from 4.7.2), same result. Attached the WER to see if it might help.

Attachments

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
wonder if we are to just copy/past the new files on over to existing 1.4.5
I'll give it a shot.
nope...different number of files. I'll wait for Ken to get back from golfing :)
It's available now.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tried running as Administrator as well as updating to .NET framework 4.8 (from 4.7.2), same result. Attached the WER to see if it might help.
I want to have you try something. I have created a new setup for you in a new directory. The only difference in this version is that instead of putting files, including the log file in the location it uses by default (\users\userName\AppData\Roaming\OnGuard it puts it wherever the executable decides to put it. This might or might not be related to your problem. If that works then the problem is probably directory permissions.

To get the version go to GitHub. Click Code then Download Zip. In the downloaded zip file you will find a directory "Test Version 1". Inside that directory you will find a setup.exe. You might need to uninstall OnGuard before running that. It couldn't hurt. In any event run that setup and see if you can get the app started.

Unfortunately, the file you provided didn't tell me anything. You could also try looking in the Event Viewer Windows Logs\Application, or possibly Security, or System and see if you see anything there. Sometimes there is descriptive information there that is not available elsewhere.

Other than that, I should probably know if the computer hardware you have is in any way unusual. I assume that you are running an x64 version of Server. Is that correct?

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's available now.
The area and camera files should be the same if that is what you were asking.
guess I should not use: Releases · Ken98045/On-Guard
I'll hold off. I think this is the special directory testing, build mentioned above.
You were right. I'm not sure what happened there. There is a special release in "Test Version 1". However, I did update the zip file for Release V1.4.6. So, the standard Setup directory does now contain the Setup files.

As far as I can see GitHub did something strange to me or much more likely I did things in the wrong order last night. It was late, and ....

Sireone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I want to have you try something. I have created a new setup for you in a new directory. The only difference in this version is that instead of putting files, including the log file in the location it uses by default (\users\userName\AppData\Roaming\OnGuard it puts it wherever the executable decides to put it. This might or might not be related to your problem. If that works then the problem is probably directory permissions.

To get the version go to GitHub. Click Code then Download Zip. In the downloaded zip file you will find a directory "Test Version 1". Inside that directory you will find a setup.exe. You might need to uninstall OnGuard before running that. It couldn't hurt. In any event run that setup and see if you can get the app started.

Unfortunately, the file you provided didn't tell me anything. You could also try looking in the Event Viewer Windows Logs\Application, or possibly Security, or System and see if you see anything there. Sometimes there is descriptive information there that is not available elsewhere.

Other than that, I should probably know if the computer hardware you have is in any way unusual. I assume that you are running an x64 version of Server. Is that correct?
Uninstalled On-Guard, re-ran the Test Version 1 setup.exe and installed for Everyone (not Just for me).
Tried to launch the app again and it crashed. Below is what is produced in the Application Event Log.

Server is AMD Ryzen 1700 (Giga-byte MB), SSD, 32GB RAM, Windows 2019 Datacenter.

Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          1/2/2021 5:14:01 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      neptune
Description:
Faulting application name: On Guard.exe, version: 0.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x823176df
Faulting module name: MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.9554, time stamp: 0x5b6a5e49
Exception code: 0xc000000d
Fault offset: 0x0001477d
Faulting process id: 0x262c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6e15492dce18e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\On Guard\On Guard\On Guard.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9554_none_d08d6fa2442aa556\MSVCR80.dll
Report Id: 809951fb-dccd-418e-b225-817267251a81
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Last edited:

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ken,

When I first started Release V1.4.6 it threw the following error.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 3.07.34 PM.png

The app still opened so I closed it out and reopened it and everything was fine. I've opened and closed it several times and am unable to duplicate the error.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ken, quick question... would you prefer that we post issues here or on github?

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ken,

When I first started Release V1.4.6 it threw the following error.

View attachment 78692

The app still opened so I closed it out and reopened it and everything was fine. I've opened and closed it several times and am unable to duplicate the error.
OK, this is a problem opening up the log file or creating the directory that the log files (and the setup files) go into. I don't know for sure if you are using the Test Version or not. If you are using the Test then that is different than if you aren't. All the Test does is put the log files into the application directory (which then puts them into a VirtualStore type directory).

So, if you are using the Release version:

The only problem I can think of that would cause that was if the log file was already open, or you didn't have permissions to \users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming. If it doesn't exist then the OnGuard directory is created there. The log file is kept open permanently as long as On Guard is running because it is written to so often.

If you had 2 instances of On Guard running it would definitely cause a problem there. If for some reason the log file got into a state where it was still open then you would see that error too. Assuming that you do see the file: \users\YouUserName\AppData\Roaming\OnGuard\OnGuard.txt then try deleting that file when On Guard is not running. I suspect that would fail. If it does fail then I am making a wild guess that even though On Guard appears to have exited it didn't exit completely. The way around that would be to re-boot your computer and see what happens. Obviously a re-boot is not a long term solution, but it is a troubleshooting step.

It is possible that you are seeing another type of bug, and I will continue testing on the computers I have access to.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Uninstalled On-Guard, re-ran the Test Version 1 setup.exe and installed for Everyone (not Just for me).
Tried to launch the app again and it crashed. Below is what is produced in the Application Event Log.

Server is AMD Ryzen 1700 (Giga-byte MB), SSD, 32GB RAM, Windows 2019 Datacenter.

Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          1/2/2021 5:14:01 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      neptune
Description:
Faulting application name: On Guard.exe, version: 0.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x823176df
Faulting module, version: 8.0.50727.9554, time stamp: 0x5b6a5e49
Exception code: 0xc000000d
Fault offset: 0x0001477d
Faulting process id: 0x262c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6e15492dce18e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\On Guard\On Guard\On Guard.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9554_none_d08d6fa2442aa556\MSVCR80.dll
Report Id: 809951fb-dccd-418e-b225-817267251a81
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
I would suggest that it not be installed for "all users". This just adds a layer of complexity for me. I don't think that matters in this case, but I'd like you to try that with the Test Version. That almost certainly does make a difference where the application stores files such as the log, which may make a difference in the security response of the OS.

I'm going to get more than a little technical here. The error information is pointing to an error in the Microsoft C Runtime files. That is typically used in programs written in C or C++. Since this application is a C# .NET application it does not use that Runtime directly. However, I believe that C# may use the C Runtime itself (I don't know for sure). What I am trying to say is:

(1) There is probably an issue in the application that makes it incompatible with your operating system. There may be another error in the application, but at the moment I don't know where it is.
(2) C# tries to isolate errors in the application. Normally errors in the C# application should never appear in a C Runtime application.
(3) The fact that the error is so indirect makes it very difficult for me to know what is happening.
(4) The main difference between Window 10 and your OS that I think could cause problems is security. The fact that the log file isn't being created makes me pretty sure the issue is security.
(5) The only part of this application that uses the C Runtime is the SQL support, but the crash is happening well before SQL is ever used.
(6) I don't have the resources to install anything other than Windows 10 here. Windows 7 shouldn't be a problem either.

I'll help all I can because I do want the application to be useful to you. I will keep trying to isolate the issue and come up with a fix or work-around.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just installed the latest 1.4.6 Onguard...
and when I open up a website, it now takes me SugarDaddy4U.com?

kidding
started aok, no errors. will test soon. gotta finish some Expanse episodes

Reaction score
OK. As of Sunday noon time, everything seems to be running AOK. I have a total of 3 main front of house cameras now using OnGuard/Deepstack with walk tests performed with 100% results with triggers, alerts, and recordings. Think I finally ironed out the configuration bugs.
Trigger alerts are sent to Blue Iris, have not yet dabbled with MQTT (waiting for ensure all things work for a couple days).
Ken.. upon first adding a new camera. If you forget or syntax config error and you do snapshot, it shows error dialog and exits program. Can change that to not exit the program?
Can add ability to have OnGuard appear in the below taskbar as an option instead of hidden minimized by the lower-right clock? Easier when doing config changes to easily flip back and forth between stuff :)
When adding a camera, default port listed is 80. Blue Iris default is 81. Great for folks that do not use BI, but confusing for those that do cause text says "often 80".
Have to figure out if can run Deepstack automatically upon Windows computer bootup.