Yet another new lorex Costco kit. 4k IP Fusion + alarm kit

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll double check and make sure what the fps is. I think it's. 10fps 4k on all 8 channels

I called lorex and asked how many wireless alarm sensors could be added, and if they counted towards the 4 wifi cameras able to be added to the dvr. Ie. Doorbell camera etc.

He didn't seem to understand my question, as he said as many as I want as long as I have the hub. Which, idk. The box says it connects to the dvr itself wirelessly.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You've got it bass ackwards. A 1/1.8" sensor is BIGGER than a 1/2.8" sensor:

1/1.8 = 0.555"
1/2.8 = 0.357"

on edit: Just who came up with this designation anyway? Why 1/x? Why not just list it's size, like 0.555"?

Given camera lens are already in millimetres, why not just the square area in millimetres? It's easy then, the bigger the number, the bigger the sensor. eg. 5mm² sensor is smaller than an 8mm² sensor.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Firefighter - at what bit rate though? 1,000 versus 8,000 or 10,000 per camera is a big difference.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Closest Dahua OEM international model I can find comparing

IPC-HFW2831S-S-S2
8MP Lite IR Fixed-focal Bullet Network Camera

8MP, 1/2.7" CMOS image sensor, low illuminance, high image definition
Outputs max. 8MP (3840 × 2160) @15 fps, and supports 2688×1520 @25/30 fps
H.265 codec, high compression rate, ultra-low bit rate
Built-in IR LED, max IR distance: 30 m
ROI, SMART H.264/H.265, flexible coding, applicable to various bandwidth and storage environments
Rotation mode, WDR, 3D DNR, HLC, BLC, digital watermarking, applicable to various monitoring scenes
Intelligent detection: Intrusion, tripwire
Abnormality detection: Motion detection, video tampering, no SD card, SD card full, SD card error, network disconnection, IP conflict, illegal access,voltage detection
Supports max. 256 GB Micro SD card
12V DC/PoE power support
IP67 protection
1597352908979.png

Camera
Image Sensor1/2.7” 8Megapixel progressive CMOS
Effective Pixels3840 (H) × 2160 (V)
ROM128 MB
RAM256 MB
Scanning SystemProgressive
Electronic Shutter SpeedAuto/Manual 1/3 s–1/100,000 s
Min. Illumination0.009 Lux@F2.0
IR Distance30 m (98.43 ft)
IR On/Off ControlAuto/Manual
IR LEDs Number1
Pan/Tilt/Rotation RangePan: 0°–360°
Tilt: 0°–90°
Rotation: 0°–360°

Field of View2.8 mm: Pan 105° × Tilt 56° × Diagonal 125°
( looks like bad cut and paste.. should be H FOV, V FOV, D FOV )

siapi

n3wb
Reaction score
I notice the new kit has face detection. I wonder how useful it is.

B_D_

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited:

B_D_

n3wb
Reaction score
Some comparison pics from the older kit cameras (LNB8005) from Costco a couple years back, along with the new kit cameras in the OP (E892AB). Daylight, color night, and extremely low light.

Older cams have a narrower FOV, in case they don't upload in the order I select them, that being older first, then new.

Attachments

B_D_

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, a couple of days in and I've hit some problems. I'm hoping people here with a lot more knowledge and experience can help me troubleshoot.

I installed the cameras Wednesday/Thursday. By Friday one camera on channel 2 had started blinking on and off in the live view every few minutes. Looking back through the recording history, it stopped recording by late Thursday evening/Friday morning but the blinking off/on with the live feed came hours later.

This morning I noticed channel 3 blinking off/on and looking through the history, it stopped recoding late Friday evening.

Did I get 2 bum cams? I've checked the cables, and what I can see that isn't in walls, they are fine. Checked connections. They're solid. Is this a common occurrence? Anyone who can chime in here I'd appreciate it, I'm more than willing to accept it's user error, because the other option is this set isn't ready from prime time and these cams are built with questionable quality.

Thanks in advance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - discussion on sensor sizes in Dahua OEM international model cameras.

Note - this is the first time I have seen the Lorex Costco base kit get a reduction in sensor size.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, a couple of days in and I've hit some problems. I'm hoping people here with a lot more knowledge and experience can help me troubleshoot.

I installed the cameras Wednesday/Thursday. By Friday one camera on channel 2 had started blinking on and off in the live view every few minutes. Looking back through the recording history, it stopped recording by late Thursday evening/Friday morning but the blinking off/on with the live feed came hours later.

This morning I noticed channel 3 blinking off/on and looking through the history, it stopped recoding late Friday evening.

Did I get 2 bum cams? I've checked the cables, and what I can see that isn't in walls, they are fine. Checked connections. They're solid. Is this a common occurrence? Anyone who can chime in here I'd appreciate it, I'm more than willing to accept it's user error, because the other option is this set isn't ready from prime time and these cams are built with questionable quality.

Thanks in advance.
Hi @B_D_

I've not experienced this sort of error, so I'm sharing what I would try to determine more about the issue ( besides searching for "Dahua IP PoE camera .... [error description]"

Try testing the cameras with different cables, try to move the camera to another port,.. do you have a small PoE switch you can test with?

B_D_

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @B_D_

I've not experienced this sort of error, so I'm sharing what I would try to determine more about the issue ( besides searching for "Dahua IP PoE camera .... [error description]"

Try testing the cameras with different cables, try to move the camera to another port,.. do you have a small PoE switch you can test with?
No POE switch, but did test on faulty cams of different channels, and fresh cables. Same defect. What's troubling is it seems to take a few days for the cams to fail. So maybe they're overheating, maybe a component is shorting out, but whatever it is, if the cameras aren't reliable, the system is worthless.

The wife wants to try another set because she likes the added features, but I think returning the old cameras is a huge mistake. Gee, I wonder how this'll play out? =l

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No POE switch, but did test on faulty cams of different channels, and fresh cables. Same defect. What's troubling is it seems to take a few days for the cams to fail. So maybe they're overheating, maybe a component is shorting out, but whatever it is, if the cameras aren't reliable, the system is worthless.

The wife wants to try another set because she likes the added features, but I think returning the old cameras is a huge mistake. Gee, I wonder how this'll play out? =l
Well, the great news is that Costco still (iirc) has a great return policy.

What features does she like?

B_D_

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, the great news is that Costco still (iirc) has a great return policy.

What features does she like?
She loves the lights, and trying to explain to her that I can put small motion activated lights right next to each camera didn't seem to sink in. She likes the two-way audio, even though we live in a state that requires 2-party consent to record audio. She also likes the improved motion detection features, which I'll admit is an improvement over our old cameras. And we both appreciate the additional camera count, even though if they're kinda crappy and/or fail, we could have 20 of them and to me that's not an improvement.

I liked that our old cameras had better sensors, even though the low-light image seems improved in these new ones despite the smaller sensor. I liked that in the 2+ years they were up, they functioned flawlessly. Reliability should be item 2 behind picture quality when buying security cams. All the other stuff is superfluous, in my mind.

But my pappy taught me something very young: Happy wife, happy life.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
She loves the lights, and trying to explain to her that I can put small motion activated lights right next to each camera didn't seem to sink in. She likes the two-way audio, even though we live in a state that require consent to record audio from another party. She also likes the improved motion detection features, which I'll admit is an improvement over our old cameras. And we both appreciate the additional camera count, even though if they're kinda crappy and/or fail, we could have 20 of them and to me that's not an improvement.

I liked that our old cameras had better sensors, even though the low-light image seems improved in these new ones despite the smaller sensor. I liked that in the 2+ years they were up, they functioned flawlessly. Reliability should be item 2 behind picture quality when buying security cams. All the other stuff is superfluous, in my mind.

But my pappy taught me something very young: Happy wife, happy life.
Have you tested the old vs new cameras with moving suspects both during the day and at night?

Really too bad the new cameras have smaller sensors in them...

B_D_

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tested the old vs new cameras with moving suspects both during the day and at night?

Yes. The motion was smoother with the old cameras during the evening, and I don't mean fps. Something about the way the video was being rendered. It may be the live view only, I haven't pulled raw footage from the NVR to see. But I liked the image quality of the older cameras much more.

It seems like, as with a great deal of things from major manufacturers in the past few years, they down-spec the products to meet a price point to sell them at Costco. It runs the gamut from electronics, to appliances, to food. The first gen Lorex 4k cameras were solid. With each successive itineration, though, it seems little things have fallen off in quality until we're here, with a set that looks like a screaming deal, until you start peeling back layers to see all the corners that were cut to meet that Costco price point.

I mean, if the $650+tx they're asking is the top end of your budget, you could really do much, much worse. They're not terrible, even if I'm making it seem that way. They're just not the be-all, end-all Lorex via Costco would have you believe, in my opinion.

B_D_

n3wb
Reaction score

Also, it seems from your research that the 1/1.8" sensor might be gone for the foreseeable future in these kits. It might not ever come back, or until things in the supply chain start normalizing again. Who the hell knows when that will be.

B_D_

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an addendum, a third (!) camera has gone on the fritz. That's three that were working out of the box and in just over a week's time have turned out defective. The QC on this set is severely lacking. And Lorex has gone radio silent on the warranty replacement from the first defec cam.

So, ymmv on if this set is a value, be prepared for a couple of purchase/return cycles if you buy this.