Yi Home Camera RTSP Hack - Connect To Blue Iris

virtua.jdub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Let me preface by saying - this post is not meant for the hardcores - as certainly they would have better alternatives for indoor monitoring.

I'm getting my feet wet with the DIY security setups, as opposed to the consumer grade products. I'm quite pleased with my Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras, and the Blue Iris software. That said, I wanted to consolidate my existing cameras (which I use to monitor my toddler) using Blue Iris.

I have 5 Yi Home Cameras (US version) purchased from Amazon, that needed to be hacked to enable the RTSP feed. Below are the steps I took to enable the hack, and configuration in Blue Iris. As the cameras are sold with the latest firmware, it is necessary to downgrade the firmware before applying the hack. Props to @timsuh for posting this information initially.

I used the hack made for the Chinese model noted here : Xiaomi Ants Xiaoyi Smart Camera - Adding RTSP support to any firmware version - Mi Gadgets - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum.

Supplemental details can be found here : Instructions

The instructions and process are pretty straightforward, but this is the process I used.

Downgrade firmware :

1. Use your Yi Home camera to format an SD Card (Yi Camera doesn't always agree with the Windows formatting).
  2. Once formatting is complete, unplug the power to the camera (do not reset the camera).
  3. Remove the SD Card from the Yi Home Camera and insert in your computer.
  4. Delete (not format), the files and folders from the card.
  5. Copy the firmware onto the SD Card and rename the file to "home" (all lowercase).
  6. Plug the SD Card back into the camera, and plug in the power.
  7. The camera's yellow light should start blinking for a few minutes (as it is loading the firmware). When it completes, it blue light should turn on, and you should be able to connect to the mobile app and confirm that the firmware updated.
  8. If u are unsuccessful loading 1.8.5, try loading 1.8.6 onto the camera first, and then load 1.8.5 afterwards. I needed to do this for one of my cameras.
Load RTSP Hack
  1. Complete Steps 1 - 4 from Downgrade firmware section.
  2. Copy the folder "test" from the test-rtspfix-07.zip file onto the SD Card. I did not modify any of the code for the timezone in the .SH file as suggested. Mine worked fine and I'm in UTC - 7.
  3. Plug the SD Card back into the camera, and plug in the power.
  4. The camera's yellow light should start blinking for a few minutes (as it is loading the firmware). When it completes, it blue light should turn on.
  5. From your computer Telnet the IP of the camera. If you are successful, it should ask you for your login (root) and password (1234qwer).
  6. Once logged in, change the root password from Telnet typing "passwd"
  7. You should be able to see your RTSP feed
    Main stream: rtsp:/ipaddress:554/ch0_0.h264
    Minor stream: rtsp:/ipaddress:554/ch0_1.h264
    Audio stream: rtsp:/ipaddress:554/ch0_3.h264
  8. If you are loading multiple cameras - repeat steps 1-7, as reusing the SD Card sometimes doesn't work.

UPDATE (Aug 1, 2017) : As I did not update the .SH file as suggested, it appears the ability to look back in the video timeline breaks (assuming you are recording to SD Card). In order to fix this, telnet into your camera.
  1. Type login (root) / password (1234qwer) to gain access and then type : echo "GTM+0" > /etc/TZ
  2. Now check that the change was committed to the file using your browser to ftp:/ipaddress /etc/TZ
  3. If you see the TZ file shows GTM+0, go into your Yi Home application on your phone and format the card. It will clear the card and reboot the device.

With RTSP enabled, I have all 5 Yi Home Cameras running in tandem with my Dahua cameras through Blue Iris. I am very happy not having to run multiple apps for viewing content :)

Hopefully, this guide will be of some use to others.

Cheers,

J

Attachments

Last edited:

Sathish

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the details @virtua.jdub. I have one YiCamera working on BlueIris. I got the second camera patched with the modifications and even changed the password and timezone. However, I am unable to view this on Blueiris. I have the same exact configuration with the exception of the Ip address and receive the error (Error:8000274d: refused, check IP address and port ). I am able to both access the second camera via both FTP and Telnet. Did you change the port or make other modifications to view all the cameras?

Last edited:

Larry L

n3wb
Reaction score
Will this work for a
model YHS-113-IR
YI Home camera from
Amazon. Barcode
B016F3M7OM.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nmatese

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone have luck with hacking the Yi lately? I like that form factor for in home cameras that most people won’t notice. I’ve got the Annke but it’s pretty visible.

Sathish

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone have luck with hacking the Yi lately? I like that form factor for in home cameras that most people won’t notice. I’ve got the Annke but it’s pretty visible.
I was able to hack mine. Realized that it was poor wifi because of multiple routers transmitting with same channels. Once I removed one of my routers, it worked pretty well following instructions. I guess it had really nothing to do with the camera or file. Just that the camera was unable to connect to the wifi network

Reaction score
I just bought 2 x 720p Yi Cams and 2 x 1080p Yi outdoor cams. I was hoping I could get them to work with BlueIris. I suppose there are no guarantees that it will work. Any update on this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought 2 x 720p Yi Cams and 2 x 1080p Yi outdoor cams. I was hoping I could get them to work with BlueIris. I suppose there are no guarantees that it will work. Any update on this?
spend a bit more and buy proper ip cameras...they will perform better and you wont have this hassle.

Reaction score
spend a bit more and buy proper ip cameras...they will perform better and you wont have this hassle.
Ive spent plenty already, besides, these Yi outdoor cams were pricier than Amcrest 1080p over black friday/cyber monday. Cost is not always an indicator of openness. Nest, Arlo, Amazon.. technically all ip cameras.

I have arlo myself, but i wanted a cheaper solution for family members that cant afford cloud cam setups without having to wait for next black friday.

.. also im guessing there is no update and the latest shipped Yi cams are locked down..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive spent plenty already, besides, these Yi outdoor cams were pricier than Amcrest 1080p over black friday/cyber monday. Cost is not always an indicator of openness. Nest, Arlo, Amazon.. technically all ip cameras.

I have arlo myself, but i wanted a cheaper solution for family members that cant afford cloud cam setups without having to wait for next black friday.

.. also im guessing there is no update and the latest shipped Yi cams are locked down..
yi is low end crap...if you want a cloud solution then you dont need BI...if you are using BI you dont need a cloud solution...
I said proper ip cameras....arlo is complete garbage as well...

Reaction score
yi is low end crap...if you want a cloud solution then you dont need BI...if you are using BI you dont need a cloud solution...
I said proper ip cameras....arlo is complete garbage as well...
Plenty of people disagree with you, I happen to think they are fantastic. Any camera that servers its purpose is "proper" from my perspective.

Its more about want than need. I want to get Yi on BI which is why i came to this thread.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Plenty of people disagree with you, I happen to think they are fantastic. Any camera that servers its purpose is "proper" from my perspective.

Its more about want than need. I want to get Yi on BI which is why i came to this thread.
They are amateurs who have never used proper ip cameras...I have a thread somewhere that lists the defects of arlo..here are a few..
1. no pretrigger recordings - missed recordings
2. perpetual battery changes for most models.
3. no 24/7 live feed monitor
4. dependent on active internet connection
5. limited recording
all for more than it would cost to pay someone to run proper cables.

instead of trying to get yi to work on BI, return the YI, buy a dahua/hivkision low light camera and have a proper working solution with much better image quality.

Reaction score
They are amateurs who have never used proper ip cameras...I have a thread somewhere that lists the defects of arlo..here are a few..
1. no pretrigger recordings - missed recordings
2. perpetual battery changes for most models.
3. no 24/7 live feed monitor
4. dependent on active internet connection
5. limited recording
all for more than it would cost to pay someone to run proper cables.

instead of trying to get yi to work on BI, return the YI, buy a dahua/hivkision low light camera and have a proper working solution with much better image quality.
Ill check them out.. thx