YooSee SD-M5 doorbell: 1080p, PoE, RTSP, Onvif, only $66

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Has any of these Yoosee users used the the Tuyo model? Looks like be yoosee as well..

sp00025

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a similar one, looking a bit different, but as connectors are the same, most likely the same model. All what was discussed here, applied to it and works well.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a similar one, looking a bit different, but as connectors are the same, most likely the same model. All what was discussed here, applied to it and works well.
which model?

and are you nappy with the video quality and POE?

sp00025

n3wb
Reaction score
With your link the model is commonly known as KW02, my model is KW01 but I don't see much difference between those models. POE is workable and handy if you use the bell only as a network node. If you need to open the door lock, power supply is needed - no POE in this case. POE is not a 802.3af or 802.3at type, it is 12-24V version working with own adapter/power supply (as was mentioned earlier in this thread). I use the firmware courtesy by @Florissilfhout and it works good enough for me. Video quality is not the best... especially in night time, but YGWUPF. The doorbell system mods that I use described in my Github with an addition of time setting script as can be found in this thread too. It is integrated into HA and making snapshots when the bell is rang which sent to Telegram bot. The doorbell model on the title of this thread is different in PCB, but uses very similar hardware and stock firmware by Yoosee, now renamed to Tuya(?). Everyone is mostly happy with achieved results covered in this thread. Some are still trying to implement a two way video/sound as allowed by stock app to have all functionality locally without cloud, but perhaps it is not worth the effort to make it...

Last edited:

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Everyone is mostly happy with achieved results covered in this thread.
Tru that...

I've been seeing these new doorbell cams pop up with POE, 2k, & HDR... But with us hacking the yosee into having pushover integration on button press and fixing the fps these new doorbells are going to have to come with something more to get me to switch.

The only new doorbell out that has my attention is the new Unifi Protect G4 Pro which has two cams. But I'd need to buy a cloud key gen 2 plus the poe adaptor and it'd end up costing me close to $550.

sp00025

n3wb
Reaction score
new doorbells are going to have to come with something more to get me to switch.
Maybe the answer is somewhere in DIY camp? Quite decent cams can be found for RPi and with RPi itself all can be kept below 100 bucks. You can even make your guest speaking to Google and answered by Google. Maybe Google can decide to open your door... (joke). No limit in what you can think of within a doorbell topic then. But when we hack those beasts made by some chinese artisan we are confined by the artisan's design ability.
UPD: just recalled that the ancient "video doorbell" in my house has been a CATV cam installed aside from entrance and an intercom. The point is that there are now tons of decent cameras with mike and speaker integrated, night vision and all well below $100. For some of them custom firmware is available. All you need to add is a wireless button for $5.

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
With your link the model is commonly known as KW02, my model is KW01 but I don't see much difference between those models. POE is workable and handy if you use the bell only as a network node. If you need to open the door lock, power supply is needed - no POE in this case. POE is not a 802.3af or 802.3at type, it is 12-24V version working with own adapter/power supply (as was mentioned earlier in this thread). I use the firmware courtesy by @Florissilfhout and it works good enough for me. Video quality is not the best... especially in night time, but YGWUPF. The doorbell system mods that I use described in my Github with an addition of time setting script as can be found in this thread too. It is integrated into HA and making snapshots when the bell is rang which sent to Telegram bot. The doorbell model on the title of this thread is different in PCB, but uses very similar hardware and stock firmware by Yoosee, now renamed to Tuya(?). Everyone is mostly happy with achieved results covered in this thread. Some are still trying to implement a two way video/sound as allowed by stock app to have all functionality locally without cloud, but perhaps it is not worth the effort to make it...
the new Tuya i listed does support proper poe IEEE802.3af, with no other step down adapter needed.

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe the answer is somewhere in DIY camp? Quite decent cams can be found for RPi and with RPi itself all can be kept below 100 bucks. You can even make your guest speaking to Google and answered by Google. Maybe Google can decide to open your door... (joke). No limit in what you can think of within a doorbell topic then. But when we hack those beasts made by some chinese artisan we are confined by the artisan's design ability.
UPD: just recalled that the ancient "video doorbell" in my house has been a CATV cam installed aside from entrance and an intercom. The point is that there are now tons of decent cameras with mike and speaker integrated, night vision and all well below $100. For some of them custom firmware is available. All you need to add is a wireless button for $5.
thats waht istarted wondering, a pi with a poe hat, 1 or 2 decent cameras, a speaker and Mic, an SLS 3D printer and some good plastic. the missing pieces is, artistry, engineering and experince and a butt load of time.

Reaction score
Patched Firmware 13.01.01.31 based on 13.01.01.30:
  • Has Telnet enabled
  • Has FPS fix, steady on 15fps
  • Stays up&running > 3 days, even when disconnected from WAN

Instructions to install:
Place npcupg.bin on root of (preferably empty) SD card
Insert SD card into slot on Doorbell
Open YooSee App -> Settings -> Firmware and select install. This will install the local firmware from SD.

I like to thank users @mrxyz, @sp00025, @SecuritySeeker, @petervk for their input and for sharing their work here.
I take no responsibility for any kind of damages or malfunctioning resulting from using attached firmware.
How can I update to this firmware if I am already on a higher version, ie 13.1.1.36 ?

vippers

n3wb
Reaction score
I came across this site when looking for a POE door cam. I bought the Tuya version of the SD-M5. I thought it was the same as the Yoosee. Turns out to be different than the Yoosee version everyone is talking about in this thread. This is where I ordered from: This camera is not able to connect to the Yoosee app. So I was not able to get in and turn on RTSP. I emailed their support and was told this new version of the camera does not support RTSP nor ONVIF. The camera does connect with the Tuya and Smart Life apps but neither give many options. Also it only connects if the camera has access to the internet. So as it sits, not useful to me.
Anybody know if the patched fw mentioned in previous posts will work on this new SD-M5? Or have any other ideas?

sp00025

n3wb
Reaction score
This camera is not able to connect to the Yoosee app. So I was not able to get in and turn on RTSP.
If you manage to flash patched FW discussed in this thread, you will connect to Yoosee app and perhaps will be able to make all necessary settings then. But that is only possible with your cam connected to internet. When you get your RTSP stream you may disable internet access using any suitable way.

silo24

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Folks.

Like Vippers above, i'm stuck with the Tuya locked version of this device and will probably end up returning it....

Those of you that have the Yoosee version, could I ask a favour?

Before I try and get hold of a Yoosee version, can anyone confirm if you can change the duration of the Chime and the Chime itself that plays on the device (i.e. not the external USB Chime, but the Music that the person at the door hears)?

The Tuya one I have doesn't give me the option to change it on the Smart Life app, and even in the Tuya IoT portal, if you change the settings, within 30 seconds the device simply reboots and defaults back toa 30 second ring and a terrible chime!

TIA!

Max_C

n3wb
Reaction score
Was anyone ever able to confirm whether or not the YooSee SD-M5 can activate an existing, old school chime? Our house already has a door bell and we’d like to keep using it if possible.
Thanks!

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was anyone ever able to confirm whether or not the YooSee SD-M5 can activate an existing, old school chime? Our house already has a door bell and we’d like to keep using it if possible.
Thanks!
Yes it is possible (see one of my posts and other posts). There are 2 possibilities:
1) Add software and a USB relay.
2) Use some other hardware and look at the frequency.

brommetje

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi ALL,
Somebody install/update or created new firmware?
How can I switch on the IR led or Night mode manual?

Florissilfhout

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No update unfortunately. Tried to repack the firmware with all added patches/time corrections/MQTT files but couldn't get it to work/install on the doorbell. The new firmware was probably too big but I have not looked at it since because of lack of time.
I did managed to get Home Assistant to login on the doorbell every 3 hours to perform a time sync. UTC with no offset unfortunately... But good enough for me.

Last edited:

hamx71

n3wb
Reaction score
Ayer llegó mi dispositivo UART TTL y pude chmod +x el binario npc parcheado. Después de esto, la cámara parece estar funcionando.
Tuve/tengo algunos problemas para agregar el dispositivo a la aplicación YooSee, pero Synology encuentra la cámara (con lo que parece ser una transmisión constante de 15 FPS) y ¡Telnet está abierto!

Parece que todavía tengo trabajo que hacer con la configuración de permisos porque durante el emparejamiento el sonido "Du Du" no se estaba reproduciendo y no puedo hacer que el timbre se vincule.
[/COTIZAR]
Hola amigo que tal.
tengo una cámara con chip gm8135s 8mb. Dice que tiene un firmware experimental cunado lo leo por el puerto serie. Se actualizó a la versión 21.1.1.33 y no funciona bien.
metro podrías ayudar a cómo cargar un firmware, no sé cómo se carga por medio de uart. Gracias

zsqduke

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using. but it not works without global ffmpeg args

View attachment 104228

mqtt:
host: 192.168.1.110
cameras:
entrance:
ffmpeg:
inputs:
- path: rtsp:/admin:pass@192.168.1.132:554/onvif2
roles:
- detect
- rtmp
- record

detect:
width: 1920 # <---- update for your camera's resolution
height: 1080 # <---- update for your camera's resolution
fps: 15
# motion:
# mask:
# - 192,1080,194,80,1920,84,1920,0,0,0,0,1080

# hwaccel_args:
# - -hwaccel
# - qsv
# - -qsv_device
# - /dev/dri/renderD128

detectors:
cpu1:
type: cpu
cpu2:
type: cpu

record:
enabled: true
retain_days: 0
events:
retain:
default: 10

ffmpeg:
# Optional: global ffmpeg args (default: shown below)
global_args: -hide_banner -loglevel warning
hwaccel_args: []
input_args: -avoid_negative_ts make_zero -fflags +genpts+discardcorrupt -stimeout 5000000 -use_wallclock_as_timestamps 1
# Optional: global output args -rtsp_transport udp
output_args:
# Optional: output args for detect streams (default: shown below)
detect: -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p
# Optional: output args for record streams (default: shown below)
record: -f segment -segment_time 60 -segment_format mp4 -reset_timestamps 1 -strftime 1 -c copy -an
# Optional: output args for clips streams (default: shown below)
##clips: -f segment -segment_time 10 -segment_format mp4 -reset_timestamps 1 -strftime 1 -c copy -an
# Optional: output args for rtmp streams (default: shown below)
rtmp: -c copy -f flv
Thanks a lot! This solved my problem. Are you still using this doorbell? Have you updated the config to work with the latest version of Frigate?

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Its been a long time since I've had to edit the cofig on this door bell. I've been converting all my notifications over to Home Assistant over the last few months so last night I decided to tackle changing my notifications on button press from the SD-M5 that I have sending an image to PushOver, then forwarding them from my Android phone to Notifications for Android TV, over to using MQTT, to send a topic with image to Home Assistant and have Home Assistant send out the notification to Notifications for Android TV.... To keep it local and speed things up.

Bash:
# ./mosquitto_pub -h 192.168.0.2 -p 1883  -t doorbell/push -m push -u usernameHA -P pAs$wOrD -d
Client mosqpub|9320-(none) sending CONNECT
Client mosqpub|9320-(none) received CONNACK (5)
Connection Refused: not authorised.
8hrs later...

I realized the error was coming from the way I had MQTT set up in Home Assistant. I was pulling the MQTT username and password from a user I created in Home Assistant just for MQTT which works for every other MQTT implementation I've set up so far... but for what ever reason it will not work with the way we set this up with the SD-M5 FW.

I got it working by creating another username and password just for the SD-M5 in Home Assistant in the Mosquito broker config. Below is the send_bell_mqtt shell script that comes in the FW we created that I edited to send a image on button press over MQTT from the SD-M5 to Home Assistant.

Edit: The real issue I was having was with a $ character I had in my password. Must have something to do with the way characters are interpreted in a terminal over telnet vs. webpage configurator of Home Assistant using the same keyboard on a remote host. I can't believe I waisted a whole day over a $ sign in a password. Sad thing is this isn't the first time I've run into this issue using PuTTy and a $ sign in a password. This time it was just harder to track down the issue.

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
###############################################
##   __  __  ___ _____ _____ ___ _   _ ___   ##
##  |  \/  |/ _ \_   _|_   _| _ \ | | | _ )  ##
##  | |\/| | (_) || |   | | |  _/ |_| | _ \  ##
##  |_|  |_|\__\_\|_|   |_|_|_|  \___/|___/  ##
##                        |___|              ##
##                                           ##
###############################################

#Publish MQTT
# Sends an Image over MQTT on button press of the SD-M5 Doorbell.
# Edit fields for Username and Password and change local IP address & port to point at your MQTT Broker

# Today's date - such dir is created for alarm pics
DIR=`date +%Y-%m-%d`

# Alarm picture storage
PTH="/mnt/disc1/npc/push/alarm"

# Wait until snapshot is taken
/mnt/disc1/busybox sleep 5

# Find latest image in the current date folder
LATEST=`ls -t ${PTH}/${DIR} | /mnt/disc1/busybox head -1`

# Full filename with path
FILE=${PTH}/${DIR}/${LATEST}

# Username for MQTT
USER="your_username"

# Password for MQTT
PSSWD="your_password"

# Send latest image
/mnt/disc1/MONITORING/mosquitto_pub -h 192.168.2.202 -p 1883 -u ${USER} -P ${PSSWD} -t doorbell/push/image -f ${FILE}

exit 0

Last edited: